Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: No More kicking out fuses
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
CliffBraun
IPB Image
IPB Image

I'll need to take pics of the rest of it when I get a chance, but this weekend I ripped out the entirety of the stock wiring harness and replaced it with a much simpler one.

This setup is fairly particular to my vehicle as I've only wired the stuff that is actually important to me. It is very nice to have fewer wires, and to have a modern fusing setup.

Some decisions I made:
No relays!
I bought switches that could handle the currents I desired because i didn't really see the benefit of relays for my battery location, switch location, etc.
Not using the Column switch:
This actually already came back to bite me, but I decided not to use the column switch because eventually the car is getting a steering quickener.
Modern headlights:
The part I didn't mention is that I added HID's to the turn signal buckets and LED's in the same to replace the turn signals. This was in large part because I didn't want to think about wiring for motors, but also happened as I had the HID's laying around.
Again I need to take pics, but Chris has some of his car and I blatantly copied him, so maybe he'll post.

I'm really stoked on the modification as the electrical system is no longer the source of major voltage loss, I KNOW everything is a good solid connection, unlike my stock harness, and being able to melt the car in front of you with your headlights is nice.

If anyone has questions about part selection or wiring, at this point I know a LOT about making the electrics in the car work, and I have a coupon for 10% off my next order at the wire supplier and I'd be happy to share that and my part selections/what I would select if I had to do it over.

Final interesting side note, Our alternators appear to be internally rectified, but externally regulated.This is gonna be the basis of a later modification, but is really cool, and somewhat odd (to me, but then I'm young.)

Edit: now with 99% less evil images.
Edit2: Clicky to bigger evil images.
bandjoey

Can't wait to see the real stuff wired up. popcorn[1].gif Bill
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.