Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Axle to CV retaining snap ring
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
VaccaRabite
Hey guys,

What size snap ring goes on the rear axles to keep them in the CV?

When we were putting in Joe's engine this evening we realized (after the CVs were in place) that one of the axles were not attached (and probably had not been secured for all the time that he has been driving the car post-2-1117899824.gif .)

What size snap ring is required to secure the axle to the CV? And can he get it from FLAPS?

Also, is a special CV grease required, or can generic CV grease from FLAPS work too? I don't know, I got my stuff from Pelican... He is going to need to repack the CVs (and hopefully he knows to inspect both of them... )

Zach
ghuff
QUOTE(Vacca Rabite @ Nov 3 2009, 08:07 PM) *

Hey guys,

What size snap ring goes on the rear axles to keep them in the CV?

When we were putting in Joe's engine this evening we realized (after the CVs were in place) that one of the axles were not attached (and probably had not been secured for all the time that he has been driving the car post-2-1117899824.gif .)

What size snap ring is required to secure the axle to the CV? And can he get it from FLAPS?

Also, is a special CV grease required, or can generic CV grease from FLAPS work too? I don't know, I got my stuff from Pelican... He is going to need to repack the CVs (and hopefully he knows to inspect both of them... )

Zach

Grease high in moly IIRC is what those type of CV's need, same on any watercooled VW.

We pack them with mobil 1 or any random recent synth grease on FWD drag cars and the inners last fine.
VaccaRabite
Anyone know what the snap ring size is?
jsayre914
i do have a bunch of snap rings from the pistons laying around the garage. idea.gif
type47
QUOTE(jsayre914 @ Nov 4 2009, 10:19 AM) *

i do have a bunch of snap rings from the pistons laying around the garage. idea.gif

Nope, circlip, as opposed to a snap ring, are different

PET illustration 501-00 shows part #21 as a circlip 113.517.279
zymurgist
I've done my CV's several times on the 911 due to issues with one of the boots getting torn open, and always used FLAPS grease.
jsayre914
so untill i remove the axle tonight, i cant seem to find the clip locallyand its a 1 dollar part, so i cant order it without spending more money on stuff i dont need right now. sad.gif

best case: the clip is in the boot just waiting to be snapped back on. repack and go

worst case : i need a good used stub axle (just like the one i just sold) sad.gif

Thanks again Zach for the help last night beerchug.gif
type11969
Joe-

I can pull one of my non-moving (for a while at least) 914 and throw it in the mail. Definitely can get to it this weekend, maybe tomorrow/friday night. Not sure if that helps, let me know.

-Chris
jsayre914
QUOTE(type11969 @ Nov 4 2009, 03:49 PM) *

Joe-

I can pull one of my non-moving (for a while at least) 914 and throw it in the mail. Definitely can get to it this weekend, maybe tomorrow/friday night. Not sure if that helps, let me know.

-Chris

That would be awesome chris, but let me first see how big my problem is. i will let you know tommorow. I am hoping for the best driving.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.