Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: White engin tin numbers
914World.com > The 914 Forums > Originality and History
larss
Everyone has seen the white stamped numbers on all 914/4 engines (like "610" below). Guess they were part of an identification system.
Has anyone figured out what the code system was (the numbers seems a bit random to me) and how it was used at the factory and were more parts beside the engine stamped like this?

/Lars S

IPB Image
1970 Neun vierzehn
http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=77130

Lots to read there, notice that at the end there is another "link" to another thread dealing with this topic.

AND. welcome.png
JeffBowlsby
Thanks for bringing this question up again...really. It caused me to go back and review the previous threads on the issue which suggest that the codes were a bin location reference or mfrs code.

I am not buying it. The couple of dozen codes I have collected and posted on the webpage, show a clear connection between a specific engine code, an engine size, model year and market. For instance, a code 621, is only ever a 1973-74 GA case 2.0L. A code 610 is only ever a 1972-73 1.7L. I think the codes may indicate a specific combination of engine size, model year and market...which are tied to emission requirements of each market - so that the assembly line put the correct engine package or possibly an engine package with other certain emission equipment into a certain car. Now maybe the codes indicate a specific engine package to be found in a certain location, but its hard to believe they would go to the trouble to paint on a bold code like that for only one silly part.

If the code was some sort of part or part location ID, then why are not the other tin pieces marked similarly?
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(Jeff Bowlsby @ Nov 5 2009, 02:48 AM) *

Thanks for bringing this question up again...really. It caused me to go back and review the previous threads on the issue which suggest that the codes were a bin location reference or mfrs code.

I am not buying it. The couple of dozen codes I have collected and posted on the webpage, show a clear connection between a specific engine code, an engine size, model year and market. For instance, a code 621, is only ever a 1973-74 GA case 2.0L. A code 610 is only ever a 1972-73 1.7L. I think the codes may indicate a specific combination of engine size, model year and market...which are tied to emission requirements of each market - so that the assembly line put the correct engine package or possibly an engine package with other certain emission equipment into a certain car. Now maybe the codes indicate a specific engine package to be found in a certain location, but its hard to believe they would go to the trouble to paint on a bold code like that for only one silly part.

If the code was some sort of part or part location ID, then why are not the other tin pieces marked similarly?

Jeff,
Agree completely!
Pat
tod914
Jeff, my current 73 2.0 cali car has the number on the fan shroud and none on the tin. Have you noticed any difference in tin numbers from cali cars as oppossed to other state cars for the same engine and model type year?
JeffBowlsby
White numbers on the fan shroud? Never seen that. Got a photo?

QUOTE(tod914 @ Nov 5 2009, 06:58 PM) *

Jeff, my current 73 2.0 cali car has the number on the fan shroud and none on the tin. Have you noticed any difference in tin numbers from cali cars as oppossed to other state cars for the same engine and model type year?

larss
Thanks guys for all info!
A lot of job has been done on this but it feels like there is more to discover.

My 914/4 '72 has 606 stamped on it, sold in Sweden engine no W0133633.
All my 411/412's has similar nos 522,545 etc. except for my '70 411 who has only 022.2

/Lars S
Tom_T
QUOTE(Jeff Bowlsby @ Nov 4 2009, 11:48 PM) *

Jeff, could any of those tin nos. relate to a part no. per se? confused24.gif DGVWPB

....e.g.: if the tins varied slightly to fit particular equipemnt hung on the engines, such as CA smog stuff, etc.? idea.gif
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(larss @ Nov 6 2009, 01:27 AM) *

Thanks guys for all info!
A lot of job has been done on this but it feels like there is more to discover.

My 914/4 '72 has 606 stamped on it, sold in Sweden engine no W0133633.
All my 411/412's has similar nos 522,545 etc. except for my '70 411 who has only 022.2

/Lars S

Lars, could you please provide your engine number, for those of us who keep track of these things? Body serial number would be great too,

Thanks!
Pat
larss

/Lars S
[/quote]
Lars, could you please provide your engine number, for those of us who keep track of these things? Body serial number would be great too,

Thanks!
Pat
[/quote]

No problem Pat:
914/4 '72 W0133633 Body 4722904099 "606" at vtin for cyl #4
411LE '70 W0023602 Body 4102022903 "022.2" at tin for fan intake, under ign. coil
411LE '72 W0189967 Body unknown "522" and "I.O." at tin for cyl#4
412LE '73 W0194670 Body 423238342 "525" at tin for cyl #4

All cars originally sold in Sweden.

The 412 '73 also has "I.O." at label for valve adjustment..I always thougt it ment that the clearance was vaild for both In and Out valves...now I know it means "In Ordnung", thanks guys!

"606" is listed for California 914 1.8 '74...strange, whish we could figure out the system...

/Lars S
euro911
How coincidental - I just noticed some #'s on my wife's engine last weekend ... started thinking about how to preserve them when I paint/powder-coat everything, or just paint replicas ???

1971, 914/4, 1.7L, D-jet - tin # *

Car was purchased by original owner while on vacation in Germany, then shipped here a couple of months later - but I believe it was a US-destined model to begin with.

* I'll add the tin # this w/e

P.S. That's one nasty looking motor Lars poke.gif
IPB Image
tod914
Jeff here is the stamp on the shroud. Just an "E". The tin on the drivers side is original paint, with no markings on it.
Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
Pat Garvey
[quote name='larss' date='Nov 7 2009, 01:50 AM' post='1235551']
/Lars S
[/quote]

Thanks!
Pat
[/quote]

No problem Pat:
914/4 '72 W0133633 Body 4722904099 "606" at vtin for cyl #4
411LE '70 W0023602 Body 4102022903 "022.2" at tin for fan intake, under ign. coil
411LE '72 W0189967 Body unknown "522" and "I.O." at tin for cyl#4
412LE '73 W0194670 Body 423238342 "525" at tin for cyl #4

All cars originally sold in Sweden.

The 412 '73 also has "I.O." at label for valve adjustment..I always thougt it ment that the clearance was vaild for both In and Out valves...now I know it means "In Ordnung", thanks guys!

"606" is listed for California 914 1.8 '74...strange, whish we could figure out the system...

/Lars S
[/quote]
Lars,
When you state "606" is listed for California 914 1.8 '74...strange, whish we could figure out the system..." What info are you using to make this statement? Not doubting - just wondering? Also, your 72 has the same code. My 72 is "610", so you have me totally confused.
Pat
Tom_T
Bowlsby list a bunch of engine tin nos. & other labels & markings here:
http://bowlsby.net/914/Classic/PLM.htm
larss
Yes, it ist the fantastic Bowlsby list http://bowlsby.net/914/Classic/PLM.htm I was referring to.

/Lars S
914runnow
QUOTE(larss @ Nov 9 2009, 11:11 PM) *

Yes, it ist the fantastic Bowlsby list http://bowlsby.net/914/Classic/PLM.htm I was referring to.

/Lars S

My EC Motor..1.8 4/74 build date has a 605 on each side of the tin..
Left and right sides..
>>>>>>>>>>ALSO did anyone find a source to make the stamps
for the tin???
Thanx Rx
larss

[/quote]
Left and right sides..
for the tin???
Thanx Rx
[/quote]

If we find out what font and size the numbers are, one could print it in scale on paper, cut out the numbers and spray white through the cut on the tin.

/Lars S
Pat Garvey
[quote name='larss' date='Nov 28 2009, 06:25 AM' post='1243532']
[/quote]
Left and right sides..
for the tin???
Thanx Rx
[/quote]

If we find out what font and size the numbers are, one could print it in scale on paper, cut out the numbers and spray white through the cut on the tin.

/Lars S
[/quote]
I haven't been able to determine the font, but do have measurements as to size and position. Was going to have paint stamps made a long time ago - maybe it's time I got off my lazy, old butt & did it.
Pat
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.