Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Hand Brake
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
andys
In the cabin: How is the pivoting link that the handbrake cables hook to oriented? One side of this link is shorter than the other. Is it correct in the below photo, or should it be 180 degrees the other way?

Also, since the short cable that attaches to the hand brake lever rides against the inside of the curved part of the housing, should it be lubricated?
Thanks,
Andys
detoxcowboy
Nice painted area!! I re did mine, no lube. I had same thoughts your having but when i tightened up from the other side (under the car behing the firewall) what is your longer cable going to your right rear the pull we are looking at in your picture evened out and so thus does "rubbing through tunnel" from your pic I would guess your pulling more on your left rear brake than your right.,right? Basically you want the same pressure on both sides for the e-brake handle movement so you need equal balance of tension on both sides of that hook swing connection, as it appears your pulling more tension on one side than the other so equalize it from the adj. nuts on the other side of the fire wall.. I hope I made sense..
kconway
icon_bump.gif
Bumping this as mine is flipped around the other way so the clip is on the bottom. Which is way is correct?

Kev
SLITS
QUOTE(kconway @ Nov 5 2009, 03:48 PM) *

icon_bump.gif
Bumping this as mine is flipped around the other way so the clip is on the bottom. Which is way is correct?

Kev

The pin will rust in place, so it really doesn't matter. More clearance is probably available with it on the top and removal would be easier.

The cable is sheathed and does not need lubrication. That said, it will rust in place (cable inside sheathing) if the rubber boots on the "goose neck" end of the tube (eninge compartment) are deterioriated or missing as water will splash into them.

Maybe a shot of lubricant would keep the cable from rusting with missing boots.

My $0.02

zonedoubt
From the shop manual:

The bore in the cable rocker is off-center. The longer hand brake cable must be connected to the shorter end of the cable rocker and the shorter hand brake cable into the longer end.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.