Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Transmission Question
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
knuckledrgr914
I was dropping the motor and trani in my '74 1.8l to try and locate a very large oil leak. I guess the leak isn't so bad since it only happens when the car is running happy11.gif

When taking out the bolt from the transaxle, they came out dripping with oil. Besides the obvious, being totally screwed, I need some advise as to where to even begin. Maybe I will just cut my losses and run...

Brad

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
EdwardBlume
Are you sure that's not just old grease? Mine look that bad and hold up just fine.
SirAndy
That CV does not look right ... unsure.gif
knuckledrgr914
QUOTE(RobW @ Nov 4 2009, 12:32 PM) *

Are you sure that's not just old grease? Mine look that bad and hold up just fine.

Thanks RobW! I guess I won't throw in the towel just yet.
knuckledrgr914
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Nov 4 2009, 12:35 PM) *

Thanks SirAndy. What do you think looks wrong?

Brad
SirAndy
QUOTE(knuckledrgr914 @ Nov 4 2009, 11:52 AM) *

It looks like the shaft has pulled out of the CV. Look at the angle of the shaft compared to the center of the CV ...

Pull off that rubber boot and show us what's inside.
idea.gif Andy
knuckledrgr914
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Nov 4 2009, 01:05 PM) *

QUOTE(knuckledrgr914 @ Nov 4 2009, 11:52 AM) *

It looks like the shaft has pulled out of the CV. Look at the angle of the shaft compared to the center of the CV ...

Pull off that rubber boot and show us what's inside.
idea.gif Andy

Will do. I have to head out now and will try to get back to it tonight.

Thanks,
Brad
detoxcowboy
I think Andy Pegged it!! CV is Out of line, I had grease somewhat like you across the bottom of starter amoung other places and it was the boot only but when I repacked with grease I found out how tricky they are to fit back together correctly, I fitted one together (did all four) and it went togther but was stiff and ackward, not right..., there is only one way so maybe thats the issue, don't give up ever. When it gets hard is when you learn, and when you learn you save $$$ because now you can do it yourself.. Worth the effort..
jcd914
Looks to me like the engine/trans is sitting on a jack and has been lowered down part way out of the car. That would be about the only explanation for the upward angle of the axle.

I have seen many where someone has packed new grease into a CV joint and filled the bolt holes in the process.

Jim
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.