Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Upping the wattage of the driving lights
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
aircooledtechguy
I would like to add 100W H-3 bulbs to my stock driving lights on my '75. That's a 45W increase. Will the stock wiring handle it or am I in for a disappointment?? What upgrades should I do to pull this off?? Don't want to damage my ride. . . Thanks.
underthetire
QUOTE(aircooledtechguy @ Nov 4 2009, 02:57 PM) *

I would like to add 100W H-3 bulbs to my stock driving lights on my '75. That's a 45W increase. Will the stock wiring handle it or am I in for a disappointment?? What upgrades should I do to pull this off?? Don't want to damage my ride. . . Thanks.

I assume you have the originals not not backdated. 2 100 watt bulbs will draw about 17 amps. I think some wiring changes will be required imo. Just get some good aftermarket replacements with 55 watt. You sure you have 55 watt now? Halogens and that high of wattage were really not around so much in the 70's.
underthetire
Oh, and if those later style ones are plastic by chance you will melt them.
aircooledtechguy
QUOTE(underthetire @ Nov 4 2009, 03:07 PM) *

You sure you have 55 watt now? Halogens and that high of wattage were really not around so much in the 70's.

Thanks for the info. Yes, they are 55W (1 - Jahn and 1 - Osram) I verified so I would know where I stood. I may look into some SilverStar 55W bulbs or similar. Does anyone have a bulb that they recommend for an upgrade??
VaccaRabite
Many 100w kits come with a relay. You should use it.
VaccaRabite
Why don't you do the 55watt H4 upgrade? You can get it from Pelican, and it is a BIG difference from stock.

Zach
underthetire
Just remember to not touch the bulb !!!
detoxcowboy
I used 85 watt h3 PIAA crystal ion yellow in my pilots without relay or any special wiring, no problems. Longest I ever had them on was an hour plus... AT 100 watts your on the edge and heat can be an issue too, I would not worry about the lenses if it is glass but behing the fogs there are wires for the fogs themselves and horns. 100watt relay is about $6 vs your system and peace of mind.. Anything over 100 watt and your asking for it without precautions.. I would go relay if I were you and wrap your leads.. When you really need to use them and not just playing with your car, you can't afford not see when you need to see...

I lived on Anacortes misty overcast dewy foggy rainy, do it right or even tone it down a bit, sometimes to much light especially white just makes it worse much worse, I lived in Colorado snow all day snow all night and if your lights are really white and high beaming you can't see sqwaut just a white wall, to much reflection..
underthetire
I lived on Anacortes misty overcast dewy foggy rainy, do it right or even tone it down a bit, sometimes to much light especially white just makes it worse much worse, I lived in Colorado snow all day snow all night and if your lights are really white and high beaming you can't see sqwaut just a white wall, to much reflection..

agree.gif

Tully fog by me. Sucks bulbs !
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.