Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Best CW Way to Add Gauges?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > Originality and History
Tom_T
What, where & how would be the best way to add some supplemental Gauges to my early-73 2L's restoration?? confused24.gif

I'd like to add the small 2-1/16" VDO Head Cylinder Temperature & Oil Pressure Gauges for the 914s, & have looked at VDO's 2-hole gauge bracket.

However, I don't know if that will look decent, if I really want to drill to do an under dash mount of it to the L or R of the Wheel? idea.gif dry.gif

I also don't want to cut-up the center console with some hincky 5 gauge face! barf.gif

I also want something that will pass CW muster! smilie_pokal.gif

Given the age of my 914 now & the fact that I'm resurrecting it from a 24+ year slumber yellowsleep[1].gif - I think she's deserving of more monitoring than the factory provided, since I'll be driving it around some too. driving.gif

Any suggestions, examples, pix, etc. which could help me???? confused24.gif
underthetire
a-pillar mount?
http://www.914ap.com/products.php
Tom_T
QUOTE(underthetire @ Nov 4 2009, 04:00 PM) *

I've seen the A-pillar mount on various AX, rally & racer 914s, but.......

I don't know how that mod is received &/or dinged in the Concours world & by those looking for a stock or "mildly modified" OE 914 in puchase or valuation of a collector's car?? confused24.gif
underthetire
Sorry, can't help there. My car(s) will never be show worthy !
Scott S
Easy on the cyl head temp - not so much on the oil pressure.

The head temp sender is easily hidden by the FI components. Run your wiring inside the factory sleaving and the into the center tunnel loom. Run it all the way up front to the pedal cluster/foot board. Install a plug so it can be disconnected at that point and tucked under the carpet at the top of the foot board.
The actual gauge/holder is the easy part. You can use the two holed generic mount with one additional bracket. The additional bracket needs to be bent so that it creates a mounting point that is parallel with the bottom inner dash structure (or the inner vertical dash face) and also creates the appropriate lower mounting surface for the gauge holder. Get yourself a decent sized magnet and epoxy it to this new bracket. Hopefully the diagram below will make this a bit easier to understand.
Run your wiring from the gauge to the plug and call it good. If and when you show the car, unplug the thing, hide the one end of the wiring under the foot board carpet (there is a pile of room - something to note so you dont have to change the length of the thermocouple wire) and pull off the gauges. Your gauges are out, and there is no wiring that any judge will ever find.

We have gas gauges in two cars done this way - it has worked like a charm and sure beats carrying a gas soaked stick with you.

The pressure gauge will be tough, as the sender is large and will most likely have a hose going to the block - very noticable.

If there are open holes on the bottom edge of the dash it is even easier to attach the 2 guage panel - just a good old fashoined wing nut.
Tom_T
Thanx Scotty - innovative set-up! smile.gif

I'd guess that the cockpit part of that set-up could be duplicated for the OP Gauge's wiring from the VDO/OEM Dual Pole sender unit - to the idiot light & to the bracket & OP gauge.

I'd just have to check knee space & visibility at to where to attach that under the dash, & have some means of keeping the wires out of hanging into "tangle-space" while in use. driving.gif
detoxcowboy
Tom, If your really a concourse enthusiast, it is not about being judged but the car itself and the experience of concourse environment. I have a different yet tastefully done set up, not concourse not track but all vdo porsche ect.. but read this about 914 vdo gauges before you concern yourself with their actual value, basically all but maybe the pressure sensor are exact and basically only tell you value changes re"dummy gauges" good for notice big swings only. Here is the link....

http://www.ratwell.com/technical/VDOGauges.html

In my opinion it is concourse all the way or forget it.
Tom_T
QUOTE(detoxcowboy @ Nov 4 2009, 07:00 PM) *

Tom, If your really a concourse enthusiast, it is not about being judged but the car itself and the experience of concourse environment. I have a different yet tastefully done set up, not concourse not track but all vdo porsche ect.. but read this about 914 vdo gauges before you concern yourself with their actual value, basically all but maybe the pressure sensor are exact and basically only tell you value changes re"dummy gauges" good for notice big swings only. Here is the link....

http://www.ratwell.com/technical/VDOGauges.html

In my opinion it is concourse all the way or forget it.

agree.gif
Interesting read, Thanx!

I'm looking more to be alerted before the idiot lights, esp. on longer road trips, before damage is done! blink.gif

I am trying to do this resto pretty much concours as it was new, but would like to have the 2 added gauges - in addition to reinstalling the center console/3-gauges which were "mysteriously missing" when I bought it used back in 12/75. smile.gif
detoxcowboy
Well read it again, also did you notice that with the vdo pressure sensor sender the psi threshold is lower than the factory dummy light threshold 7psi vs 11 psi so at idle sometimes your dummy light will flicker, any ways I understand what you want but also youe engine comp. with the pressure will be obvious and to get it not obvious you would have to cut your engine tin, most people use and extension tied down to the fan housing. but anyways ...
tod914
Tom how about swapping them out for the clock and volt gauge? Or do a staggered 5 gauge set up in the console. If you use velcro on the back of the gauge holder, you'll be able to easily swap it out with an original set up for events.
detoxcowboy
QUOTE(tod914 @ Nov 5 2009, 02:43 PM) *

Tom how about swapping them out for the clock and volt gauge? Or do a staggered 5 gauge set up in the console. If you use velcro on the back of the gauge holder, you'll be able to easily swap it out with an original set up for events.

that true what you could do is have 2 gauge panels one a 3 hole for trophy contest and another for your drivng peace of mind, you could even leave the gauges connected and the swapping panel behind the traditional 3 hole panel for use after the concourse judges leave. Swapping would take less than 2 minutes.. but the pressure sensor in the engine comp will be the only "eye sore" to a judge... but you could swap that too the day of the event..
Tom_T
QUOTE(detoxcowboy @ Nov 5 2009, 02:34 PM) *

Well read it again, also did you notice that with the vdo pressure sensor sender the psi threshold is lower than the factory dummy light threshold 7psi vs 11 psi so at idle sometimes your dummy light will flicker, any ways I understand what you want but also youe engine comp. with the pressure will be obvious and to get it not obvious you would have to cut your engine tin, most people use and extension tied down to the fan housing. but anyways ...

That flickering is not a problem, as long as you have the gauge, since you want to see the OP drop when the engine is running at higher RPMs - not idling.

IIRC - mine used to flicker a bit even with the factory sender & idiot light when it was idling rough or loping, & when you came off the freeway after a long run at high speed, & the pressure drops suddenly to idle speed at the stop/light at the end of the off ramp.

I'm not sure about what you mean by cutting tin, but that won't happen!

I'll leave it visible or tucked away with a remote wiring/tube link before I start carving up my precious 914! dry.gif

....screw the judges in that case! sheeplove.gif
Johny Blackstain
Here's how I did it:
Tom_T
QUOTE(tod914 @ Nov 5 2009, 02:43 PM) *

Hmmmm..... idea.gif

Well Tod & Detox, I didn't want to have a screwy 5 gauge cluster - esp. since the center console is hard to see while driving anyway.

....but that 2 panel swap-out idea could work, but then I can just hear my wife will say: ...and you got two sets of gauges because......???? confused24.gif ....as she prepares to cook my goose! stirthepot.gif

Another removable attachment idea I was considering, was to use one of the side-screws on the upper console bracket which connect the console to the under-dash, & have an extra longer screw/bolt with which to attach a 2 hole bracket on either the L or R side - with the gauges vertical - but don't know about leg clearance with it on that side. idea.gif popcorn[1].gif idea.gif

That could use the same hide the wiring trick as the excellent magnetic mount idea by Scott above. smile.gif
Tom_T
QUOTE(Johny Blackstain @ Nov 5 2009, 04:01 PM) *

Here's how I did it:

Hi Al, that's in your 6, but I have the Appearance Group's 3-Gauge Center Console going back into my 73 2L as I restore it.

Is that AA's repro tan-&-brown speckled loop pile repro carpet we were PM'ing about in there??? ...it looks pretty close to my OE?

I say "going back in", because the PO/OO had removed that, along with the L&R OE Tan/Brown Carpet Floor pieces we were just PM'ing about, & the AG's fog lights/switch & Fuchs 2Ls before I bought it in 12/75.

I've sourced almost all of those pieces to recreate the way she wuz!

And I don't think there's enough room to add an "extra" 2-guage strip similar to yours, above the clock in the OE gauge - even if removable for show....

Click to view attachment

Unless it were an hourglass shaped mount with a round-up to see the clock - or 2 small single holes - either with the gauges added L&R of the clock?? idea.gif
...I'll have to noodle on that one, cuz it could also be a magnetic or other removable attachment...???? idea.gif idea.gif

Thanx for the pic though - it looks very clean in your purdy 6!
drooley.gif
detoxcowboy
Tom, I have all the gauges your talking about but only 3 in the center console,

top center is a 911 euro combo oil pressure (druck press)/oil temp (using the 914 oil temp insert. staggered below is an 914 oil temp(wide red bar) with the guts taken out and the vdo cylinder head temp guts inside (red starts at 400deg.) no. hollywood vdo did that one w/ my idea... then the volt gauge below that of course.. the 914 clock is moved down spaced just off and below the shifter facing up in a short matching cover holder counter sunk and slightly facing the driver, oh and it has a second hand.. no. hollwood vdo again. I like you thought too many seperate gauges all in one spot make the car look like a nasa control panel,..

the panel switching would require no extra gauges just leave the 2 behind the panel, with their panel.. when your being judged. Truth is once all the wire is run. you could pull and put back in all gauges and sensors in 15 minutes. except the oil temp sensor but that one is not an issue right?

that is it for me on having cake and eating it too. by the time you put the center console together the process of doing that will enable you ideas that you will not come up with until you see the flexability.. I will show you what i did and what the sensors look like installed next mo. or so.. after paint
Pat Garvey
I Warned you guys last time.

This topic have NOTHING to do with originality or history!

It is hereby closed.

No more mister nice guy. Keep it on topic or take it to the garage.
Pat
Sorry.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.