Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: New Boxster Spyder
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
johannes
Porsche has anounced a new "Light" (sort of) version of the Boxster ...
The Spyder weights "only" 1275 kg (2810 lbs) and will have a 3.4Liters 320 HP engine
It has aluminium doors and a "cheapo" soft top "a la" Lotus Elise.
And of course it is a sucessor of the 550 ... bla bla bla (usual marketing shit)

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NReyG8X3kfg
johannes
From Porsche Press service

Light, Efficient, Open: Boxster Spyder Making World Debut in Los Angeles

Stuttgart. Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG, Stuttgart, is introducing a new top version of the Porsche Boxster, a light mid-engined roadster making its world debut at the Los Angeles Motor Show in December.

Weighing just 1,275 kg or 2,811 lb, the Boxster Spyder is the lightest model throughout the entire range of Porsche cars. Clearly recognisable right from the start, this new mid-engined roadster represents the true, purist form of the Porsche sports car – light, powerful, consistently open, and very efficient.

This is precisely the formula already applied in creating Porsche’s most successful road-going sports and racing cars, ranging from the legendary 550 Spyder all the way to the RS Spyder so successful in motorsport today.

The Boxster Spyder now continues this clear-cut philosophy with full homologation for the road, thus reflecting a common wish expressed by Porsche customers. The new model is entering the market in February 2010 as the third version in the Boxster range, joining the Boxster and Boxster S.

The new member of the Boxster family stands out clearly at very first sight from the other versions of Porsche’s mid-engined roadster. Quite simply because the Boxster Spyder has been developed first and foremost for driving in the open air, the low-slung, light soft top extending far to the rear serving exclusively to protect the driver and passenger from bright sunshine, wind and weather. When closed, the soft top, together with the extra-low side windows and the two striking bulges on the single-piece rear lid, boasts a stretched and sleek silhouette reminiscent of the Carrera GT.

Significantly less weight than the Boxster S, a lower centre of gravity and an all-new sports suspension give the Boxster Spyder the right kind of driving dynamics clearly reflecting the unique look of the car.

The Boxster Spyder features a 3.4-litre six-cylinder with Direct Fuel Injection upfront of the rear axle. Maximum output is 320 bhp, 10 bhp more than in the Boxster S.

Equipped with PDK Porsche-Doppelkupplungsgetriebe and the Sports Chrono Package, the new Spyder, using Launch Control, accelerates from a standstill to 100 km/h in 4.8 seconds. Again with optional PDK, fuel consumption is a mere 9.3 litres on 100 kilometres (equal to 30.4 mpg imp) in the NEDC New European Driving Cycle. Top speed, in turn, is 267 km/h or 166 mph – with the roof open.

In terms of its fundamental concept, the entire Boxster family is the successor to the legendary 550 Spyder built back in 1953, both models sharing the same mid-engine roadster concept, low weight, back-to-the-roots lifestyle, and supreme agility combined with equally outstanding driving pleasure.

The 550 Spyder was the first sports car from Stuttgart-Zuffenhausen developed specifically for racing but also homologated for the road. In the years following its production, this unique Spyder weighing only 550 kg or 1,213 lb, scored numerous victories on race circuits and in the road races so popular at the time.

The 550 Spyder was followed by other extremely successful Porsche Spyders such as the 718 RS 60 in 1960.

In 2004 and 2008 Porsche dedicated a limited edition of special Boxsters bearing the additional name Spyder to these legendary racing cars. By contrast, the new Boxster Spyder is a regular, specially developed and upgraded production model with far-reaching modifications versus the Boxster and Boxster S.

Market introduction of the new Porsche Boxster Spyder will start worldwide in February 2010. The base price in the Euro countries is 53,100 Euro. Including 19 per cent VAT and national specifications, the market price of the new Porsche Boxster Spyder is 63,404 Euro.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
MDG
QUOTE(johannes @ Nov 5 2009, 04:35 AM) *

Remember when sports cars had rims and tires that filled out the wheel arches to the point of bulging? It was like they couldn't cram enough rubber in there to keep the thing stuck to the ground. Gave them a purposeful look.

Between the huge front overhang and the inch and a half gap from the tires to the fender, this car has no sense of proportion. From this side shot it looks like too big of a body on too small a chassis. Even the 'Porsche' script down the side looks too small.
jt914-6
Those "70's" Porsche stripes on the doors just don't look right to me.....
zymurgist
With the fairings behind the seats, in profile it looks like a 911 cab to me. I think I like the look of the standard Boxster better.
johannes
Would look more familiar with shorter ends ?...

Call it the Shortster ?
MDG
QUOTE(johannes @ Nov 5 2009, 07:57 AM) *

Call it the Shortster ?

lol-2.gif
The Shortster lol-2.gif av-943.gif lol-2.gif

Aside from the fact that looks like an MR2 . . . it actually looks better!! You may have just designed the new 914
tat2dphreak
I like it better than the standard boxster, imo.

btw, I like the smaller script on the side... I wonder if that will be available as an aftermarket item that can be adapted to the 914 wink.gif
johannes
Porsche is the most clever brand ever. They stripped down a Boxter S and ask more $ for it ...
ottox914
Do the side stripes and seat cushions look more than a little 914ish to anyone else?

Shortster... its either the new 914, or the next version of the BlueSport?

If I had the ca-ching, I'd put one in my driveway and add some more appropriate wheels/tires, and smile every day.
underthetire
QUOTE(tat2dphreak @ Nov 5 2009, 06:15 AM) *

I like it better than the standard boxster, imo.

btw, I like the smaller script on the side... I wonder if that will be available as an aftermarket item that can be adapted to the 914 wink.gif

I could cut whatever size script you want up to 24" tall! I just never made any cause someone else on Evilbay and maybe here make the standard ones now. Putting them on is the hard part !
turboman808
Surprised you guys aren't more excited about this. I would actually buy this car. Girlfriend wants to get a Cayman S next year. Something tells me I need to persuade her to get this instead. driving-girl.gif driving.gif

All you hear on this forum is they want an affordable porsche sports car like the 914 and I think this is it.
Demick
QUOTE(turboman808 @ Nov 5 2009, 09:30 AM) *

All you hear on this forum is they want an affordable porsche sports car like the 914 and I think this is it.

Except this really isn't it. They removed the A/C, stereo, and convertible top and only managed to save 150 lbs? Those speedster humps look cheesy as hell. That tent-top is ridiculous. And the base price is over $60K.

Hardly an affordable porsche sports car like the 914.

johannes
QUOTE(Demick @ Nov 5 2009, 11:34 AM) *

QUOTE(turboman808 @ Nov 5 2009, 09:30 AM) *

Except this really isn't it. They removed the A/C, stereo, and convertible top and only managed to save 150 lbs? Those speedster humps look cheesy as hell. That tent-top is ridiculous. And the base price is over $60K.

Hardly an affordable porsche sports car like the 914.

Yep ! just what I said . 60K in Euros ! ... You get less for more money. You trade comfort features for alu doors and slip diff.
I seriously doubt they will sell a lot of them.
For that money I buy an Elise and a nice trip around the world.
underthetire
QUOTE(johannes @ Nov 5 2009, 04:57 AM) *

Call it the Shortster ?

You guys amaze me with the photo edits. How in the heck do you do it ?
wobbletop
It looks nice(ish) but I already have a car that leaks in the rain. No thanks.
johannes
QUOTE(underthetire @ Nov 5 2009, 01:54 PM) *

QUOTE(johannes @ Nov 5 2009, 04:57 AM) *

Call it the Shortster ?

You guys amaze me with the photo edits. How in the heck do you do it ?

Thats part of my job ... type.gif and this is not very well done (five minutes job)
plymouth37
Wow, that top is ghetto as hell.
And 2810 pounds is in no way "light"...
Mark Henry
Not so poor mans Carrera GT dry.gif

How do you think it handles in the snow? biggrin.gif
Brando
Still weighs too much to be a "speedster" incarnation of any type.

Now, if it were all aluminum or carbon fiber...
SirAndy
How about a Mini Porsche 500 Spyder ??? idea.gif
plymouth37
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Nov 5 2009, 11:30 PM) *

Just when I thought the top couldn't look any worse... biggrin.gif
dlo914
Original Image:
IPB Image

COMPARISON

Altered Image:
IPB Image

I did the following things on PS:
- Shortened both from and rear overhangs
- Enlarged the Porsche side stripe
- Increased wheel size
- Lowered the vehicle
zymurgist
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Nov 6 2009, 01:30 AM) *

Wow, that top looks worse than Donald Trump's toupee!
johannes
welder.gif
zymurgist
hmmm.

Front end looks like a new Mini now.

NTTAWWT
sean_v8_914
the boxter is a low end cheap mass produced street car., the 550 was a top dollar race ready car. seems to me like teh boxter is more 914 that a 550.
MDG
QUOTE(sean_v8_914 @ Nov 6 2009, 11:56 AM) *

the boxter is a low end cheap mass produced street car., the 550 was a top dollar race ready car. seems to me like teh boxter is more 914 that a 550.

I agree. If you just look at Porsche's 914 and not VW's version, the 914-6 wasn't that far off in cost from the 911 line up. Translated into 2009 prices it would be right in line with the Boxster/Cayman.

Porsche is building the 'new' 914; it's just not the one we want. I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for that company to introduce a $30-$35k car . . . if they did it might look like Andy's Mini 500 Spyder blink.gif

addendum: can you imagine the braking power on the Mini 500 Spyder!!! Look at the size of those freakin' calipers! 0-60 in 3.7 secs. / 60-0 .00025 secs.
johannes
Boxster ... not Boxter
johannes
In top Gear last night, they had a little fun about the Spyder ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fet4eDry4AI
Drums66
QUOTE(sean_v8_914 @ Nov 6 2009, 08:56 AM) *

exactly my sentiments Sean! idea.gif popcorn[1].gif
r_towle
A shorter windshield and I would go for it.
As long as the roof is not designed to get you wet....like a speedster/550

Rich
ConeDodger
You guys are harsh critics... I like it. 2800# is very light for a modern US spec car. Not so sure I like the top but I also don't think it would spend much time on so that might be moot...
r_towle
QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Nov 16 2009, 07:15 PM) *

You guys are harsh critics... I like it. 2800# is very light for a modern US spec car. Not so sure I like the top but I also don't think it would spend much time on so that might be moot...

zachly.

But it better not leak, at all.

Rich
Drums66
QUOTE(johannes @ Nov 6 2009, 06:55 AM) *

welder.gif

The Smart Box-ster(coffin) idea.gif
tat2dphreak
I like the looks, but I would NOT pay 60k for a car that doesn't include A/C or door handles.

that top-gear was funny as shit, BTW!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.