Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Need Help From Some '75 & '76 Owners
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
kenshapiro2002
Putting a fuel pump access panel into my '70 and need to se how it works out up there (photos). Does the carpet have a hole over where the panel is? A flap? What's the deal? Thanks in advance!
ChrisFoley
ejm posted some really good pics a while back. Do a search.
jcd914
The carpet has a flap in it, to cover the access panel. The flap is shaped to fit the bulge of the access panel. There is a chance I still have the carpet from the 76 I parted out but I kind of doubt it. I'll have a look and post a picture if I can find it.

Jim
kenshapiro2002
No?

QUOTE(Racer Chris @ Nov 5 2009, 08:55 AM) *

ejm posted some really good pics a while back. Do a search.

kenshapiro2002
Thanks!

QUOTE(jcd914 @ Nov 5 2009, 10:23 AM) *

The carpet has a flap in it, to cover the access panel. The flap is shaped to fit the bulge of the access panel. There is a chance I still have the carpet from the 76 I parted out but I kind of doubt it. I'll have a look and post a picture if I can find it.

Jim

kenshapiro2002
If you find it I'll buy it.

QUOTE(jcd914 @ Nov 5 2009, 10:23 AM) *

Jim

MDG
Here you go, Ken - hope this helps. The carpet is formed to the shape of the access panel

Click to view attachment

The top portion of the carpet acts like a hinge

Click to view attachment
kenshapiro2002
Thanks. That was so good of you to go out and snap a shot for me...really appreciate it. Also shows me that the offset of the bracket goes to the outside...still not sure why they did that since the pump can slide in the bracket, right? Know what I mean? The bracket mounting is asymmetrical on the panel itself.

QUOTE(MDG @ Nov 5 2009, 10:55 AM) *

Here you go, Ken - hope this helps. The carpet is formed to the shape of the access panel

Click to view attachment

The top portion of the carpet acts like a hinge

Click to view attachment

MDG
I see where you're going; I think it was to give clearance for the connections. I no longer have the original pump - maybe someone who still does will chime in - but all the connections are made on the inboard side. By keeping the pump body over to the side it helps the fuel lines clear the bulkhead confused24.gif

Only thing I can think of.

mike
tod914
Ken, the floor cover sits above the plate so you can get away with just cutting your existing carpet if you want.
MDG
QUOTE(tod914 @ Nov 5 2009, 11:08 AM) *

Ken, the floor cover sits above the plate so you can get away with just cutting your existing carpet if you want.

Yes. I never took a shot of that but 100%; with the tire board sitting on the spare you don't see the cut-out
VaccaRabite
QUOTE(kenshapiro2002 @ Nov 5 2009, 11:01 AM) *

Also shows me that the offset of the bracket goes to the outside...still not sure why they did that since the pump can slide in the bracket, right?

Slide in the bracket? The pump needs to be well secured to the bracket. No sliding.

Speaking of that... The CB pump you will be using is smaller then the stock pump, so you will need to use alternate means to keep it secured on the bracket. I used a bigger metal hose clamp.

Zach
kenshapiro2002
What I meant was that when attaching the pump you could slide it in either direction (to clear fittings for example) before securing it. If the CB pump is smaller, why'd you use a bigger clamp?

QUOTE(Vacca Rabite @ Nov 5 2009, 11:11 AM) *

QUOTE(kenshapiro2002 @ Nov 5 2009, 11:01 AM) *

Also shows me that the offset of the bracket goes to the outside...still not sure why they did that since the pump can slide in the bracket, right?

Slide in the bracket? The pump needs to be well secured to the bracket. No sliding.

Speaking of that... The CB pump you will be using is smaller then the stock pump, so you will need to use alternate means to keep it secured on the bracket. I used a bigger metal hose clamp.

Zach

kenshapiro2002

Good to know...guess I can cancel my "WTB" ad I just put in the classified!

QUOTE(tod914 @ Nov 5 2009, 11:08 AM) *

VaccaRabite
I poorly worded what I was trying to say, thats why. wink.gif

The factory clamp for the fuel pump is 2 fixed size ring clamps. that work great for a factory pump.

For the smaller diameter pump, they don't work at all. So I got a large sized screw-to-tighten hose clamp and used that to hold the pump in place.

Zach
zonedoubt
I bought a carpet set (AA or PP, I can't remember) and just cut a couple slits to make a flap for accessing the fuel pump cover.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.