Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Front Bilstein Shock
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
tradisrad
I've got Bilsteing shock in the front of my car and there is no rubber "stop" bumper like the Boge shocks use. Do the Bilstein use the rubber bumper on top of the shock (under the cover) like the Boge. The piston is much fatter on the Bilstein and the bumpers I have won't fit.

Also my covers are some what loose and rattle around a bit. I do have a large plastic washer that goes under the cover and rests on top of the shock piston, but this does not seem to be enough to stop the covers from rattling. Is there a cure for this? Am I missing parts?

thanks
-Rob
dr914@autoatlanta.com
no the bilstein is a "two way" shock that does not bottom out upon road impact so does not use a bump stop
jcd914
Bilsteins are and inverted shock. The "much fatter" piston you refer to is actually the shock body mounted upside down. The shaft of the shock and the bump stop are inside the strut housing. There is a roll pin thru the bottom of the strut housing that holds the shock insert into the strut. You have to drive the roll pin out to pull the shock insert from the strut to see the bump stop. I have seen many 911 bump stops beat to pieces from bottoming out. I have never taken apart a 914 Bilstein but I would expect it to be the same as a 911.

Jim

tradisrad
QUOTE(jcd914 @ Nov 5 2009, 07:37 AM) *

Bilsteins are and inverted shock. The "much fatter" piston you refer to is actually the shock body mounted upside down. The shaft of the shock and the bump stop are inside the strut housing. There is a roll pin thru the bottom of the strut housing that holds the shock insert into the strut. You have to drive the roll pin out to pull the shock insert from the strut to see the bump stop. I have seen many 911 bump stops beat to pieces from bottoming out. I have never taken apart a 914 Bilstein but I would expect it to be the same as a 911.

Jim

I dont recall any roll pin holding in the shock, and I had them out of the shock housing. Is that a "6" thing? I am not so sure if the shock housings are Bilstein, but the shocks are.
I've got a photo of the shocks at home and I will try and add that later today, well this evening.

How about my rattly covers?
jcd914
QUOTE(tradisrad @ Nov 5 2009, 07:48 AM) *

I dont recall any roll pin holding in the shock, and I had them out of the shock housing. Is that a "6" thing? I am not so sure if the shock housings are Bilstein, but the shocks are.
I've got a photo of the shocks at home and I will try and add that later today, well this evening.

How about my rattly covers?

OK I guess I could have been more specific, the roll pin is in Bilstein struts. Bilstein inserts made for Boge style struts have a threaded top the holds them into the strut. The Shock is still and invert shock and the shaft is inside the Bilstein insert. I don't know if the have an internal bump stop or if they can be taken apart. I have no experience with the Bilstein inserts for Bogey style struts. The last shop i worked at had a history of premature failures with Bilstein inserts for non-bilstein strut. So the owners rule was, if it was Bilstein inserts in Bilstein struts was OK otherwise we used Koni or Boge or something else. I was not there when they had their failures so I can't comment on how many or how long they lasted.

The rattly dust covered should be held tight when the strut top is tighten into the camber plate.

Jim
tradisrad
I also thought that the dust cover should be hled tight to the camber plave when all is tight. I do have mono ball upper strut mounts; could they be part of the rattling problem?
detoxcowboy
Stock '74 2.0 installed Billstiens, had exact same question, installed anyways as described in the instructions, straight foward installation. No problems yet and its been 8 months. Just make sure the threaded part is tight if it loosens it will clang like you think your losing you swing arms.. Just install them no worrries. If there was suppossed to be a rubber buffer we would have all got one in our facrtory box, that is not to say there would be at least one unlucky S.O.B. but it is not you..
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.