Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: OT - Phone charger safety
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
underthetire

Attached are photos of what remains of a 2007 Suburban.
This fire resulted from leaving an I-phone charger/docking station plugged into the car outlet. It overheated and started a fire, while parked in a private garage.
PLEASE unplug anything you have in your car outlets once you turn off your car!
VERY fortunate that the fire was discovered, at 11pm, before going to bed and before it spread to the house.
No garage heat detectors or house smoke alarms went off.
736conver
This happen to you??

Or are you just reiterating the email that is going around.

Which we all know the internet doesnt lie. wink.gif
underthetire
Yes it was an Email, but it was from our saftey Nazi department who got it from lets just say a government source. I usually believe these folks, i've seen un-released footage from them you wouldn't believe.

And i have witnessed a Lithium Polymer battery burn a hole right through the trunk of a car. When those batteries go, they are SCARY !
736conver
QUOTE(underthetire @ Nov 5 2009, 01:23 PM) *

Yes it was an Email, but it was from our saftey Nazi department who got it from lets just say a government source. I usually believe these folks, i've seen un-released footage from them you wouldn't believe.

And i have witnessed a Lithium Polymer battery burn a hole right through the trunk of a car. When those batteries go, they are SCARY !

Not saying it isnt true. But google it once. Its everywhere and alot of posters are saying the same thing you are. "It came from their saftey department". Others just get the email from someone they dont know.

There are also some modified versions out there. Snopes website is investigating it.

underthetire
Well, in my case it really came from the safety department. If it was sent to them by some other means i couldn't tell you. The burn marks surely look like something was plugged in though. I HATE these emails that are doomsday and your gonna die if.....but i thought this one seemed legit.
jhadler
Wait.... This isn't a -feature-??? And I've been using it as a cigar lighter for weeks now! I just thought it was an added bonus when I saw it glowing... biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif

-Josh2
zymurgist
My Japanese cars cut power to the 12v sockets when the ignition switch is in the "off" position.
johannes
QUOTE(zymurgist @ Nov 5 2009, 02:27 PM) *

My Japanese cars cut power to the 12v sockets when the ignition switch is in the "off" position.

My italian cars too...
underthetire
QUOTE(johannes @ Nov 5 2009, 02:29 PM) *

QUOTE(zymurgist @ Nov 5 2009, 02:27 PM) *

My italian cars too...

Mine have one power port thats on all the time, and one lighter port that turns off. One of our guys here saw the email, went out to his truck and found his Ipod so hot he could almost not pick it up. I think it might just be a real thing.
Elliot Cannon
Watch those batteries as well. We lost a DC-8 in Philly. Two more minutes in flight and we would have lost the crew as well.
championgt1
My wifes old 96 Nissan Maxima had a faulty outlet. When you would plug a phone charger in the charger would get extremly hot. It would not shut off when the ignition was of and the fuse never blew when it got hot. We stopped using the outlet. I could see how if left in it could start a fire. I buy it!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.