Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Lets get the location for the build off locked in now.
914World.com > The 914 Forums > Events Forum > Past Event Planning Threads
rick 918-S
I just realized we have a couple options for a build off location and we really haven't locked this in yet.

I guess I missed the part where the body shop doesn't reall have a good source of heat. I remembered the port-o-potty discussion but I don't think we had gotten as far in thought to completely rule out the body shop. In February heat this is really not optional. So, the body shop is likely out of the question.

Second, is the maintainance hanger. We will have a short window here as we will need to hit the ground running friday night starting with packing up the car and all the parts, unloading everthing in the hanger, hope we don't miss any parts during the pack out. And clear out sunday night not leaving a trace we were ever there.

I'm game. If we get enough volunteers with the ability to move parts we will be golden.

Then where will we be moving the car after were done? Mary's house? Back to the body shop? We need to define this as well.

I like the hanger for the kitchen and the fact that it will likely be really nice.

Anyone have any other ideas?

Mike fill us in on the other space Mary mentioned if you can.
Kansas 914
QUOTE(rick 918-S @ Nov 8 2009, 12:48 PM) *

Mike fill us in on the other space Mary mentioned if you can.

1. Body Shop - no heat or facilities
Click to view attachment

2. Airport Hangar - limited time in the space (Friday evening to Sunday evening) EDIT: Mary has 2 different hangars we might can use - both have heat and an extended time on each end of the weekend if needed.

3. Luke's Playhouse - huge - heat - lift - car guys dream house
Click to view attachment

4. My house - slightly heated 3 car garage - food - tools - lift - bathrooms - sleeping facilities
Click to view attachment

Dr Evil had seen all the prospects except Luke's place - his input will be valuable. Both the hangar and Luke's will need prior approval. Let me know your preference and I will have Mary start the process. An option might be to start the build a day or 2 early at the body shop with a skeleton crew (assess the status and hang parts) and prepare the car for the 2 day overhaul at the heated location.
tat2dphreak
will the car be able to be transported easily between locations?

also, to help with heat in any situation we can get an industrial heater. like a kerosene type rented from a home depot...

bathrooms and a lift will really make this easier biggrin.gif everything else we can figure a way around biggrin.gif
Kansas 914
QUOTE(tat2dphreak @ Nov 8 2009, 07:30 PM) *

will the car be able to be transported easily between locations?

also, to help with heat in any situation we can get an industrial heater. like a kerosene type rented from a home depot...

bathrooms and a lift will really make this easier biggrin.gif everything else we can figure a way around biggrin.gif

The body shop and the airport are very close and on the same road - Mary has access to a flat bed car trailer and a vehicle to tow it. The body shop is huge when considering the volume. It has 20 foot ceilings might be hard to heat but some of the "jet engine" looking jobsite heaters are pretty good. That would mean all that would be needed is a bathroom and running water. Of course with all the plans to warm the place it will be a freak 80 degree February day. Nothing says we can't wait until March - it was just a goal of Mary's to drive the car the first day of Spring.
tat2dphreak
the jet engine heaters were what I was talking about. home depot and lowes rent them. the can heat a barn quite well.

porta-pottys might work, but for the time that we will be spending there, having a place to wash up a bit for a sandwich might really be handy. smile.gif getting running water to the body shop... what would we need to do to make that happen?

because of the heater options, I think we can make heat work anywhere...
rick 918-S
No heat in February sux. I hate the cold. And kerosene fumes are not nice.

I am worried about the hanger usage disolving at the last minute. The time line makes this really tight. The location is ideal but the restrictions are a concern.

Lets think about Lukes. How far do we need to move the car to get it to Lukes Playhouse?

And what is the relationship here. Is this a friend of Mary's?

Were most likely going to be doing stuff like cleaning parts and bolting stuff together. Although we may need to blast something and do some bomb can work before bolting some parts one.

Your place would be easier to heat with even a couple electric heaters but your a long way from the car and Mary right?

BTW: Your cars are SIC! drooley.gif

Lets toss the Lukes play house idea around.

If Lukes is a fit can we just order food in?

Rent some banquet tables to place parts on.

If Lukes is an option could we move the car on a Thursday and start setting up for a weekend push?

Your place would work out very well! Lets not rule that out.
Kansas 914
I spoke to Mary at length today. She is going to try and talk to Luke - but wanted to talk to him in person and not on the phone. He is a friend of Mary's. He has done done a restoration in his place but it is more like a museum now. Here is a picture of the family farm truck he dragged out of a field and restored - it was actually the family's truck that the parents bought the year after they were married.
Click to view attachment

The airport hangar will be available to us longer than I had thought. It is not the working shop hangar I thought it was (but right next door) - so we are not under the strict time restraints I thought we might be.

It is no problem getting the car moved around - several people have offered to do that for Mary.

Hopefully I will know more by the conference call Thursday.

Cheers!
rick 918-S
Great report. Nice to hear the hanger is not so restricted. Lets see how this plays out.
Kansas 914
QUOTE(rick 918-S @ Nov 9 2009, 06:07 PM) *

Great report. Nice to hear the hanger is not so restricted. Lets see how this plays out.

This just in from Mary:

"Yes, both hangars have heat. Gary's would be better, since it is smaller, and I think the type of heat it has is better. But I am hoping for Luke's!"

Luke's is a great spot and Luke would probably get a kick out of hosting the event. If we are doing the build where there is Internet I am going to try and get a webcam setup so we can stream the build in realtime to the 914World!

She also mentioned her daughter's birthday is Feb 21st and she has pictures of her in short sleeves on her birthday so we could get a nice weekend even in February.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.