Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: North American Ice Challange ...?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Gustl
Hi there,

I wonder if anybody would have some information about a race called the "North American Ice Challange" or Championship or similar?
In 1972 a guy from Germany won this championship. It's "Prince Leopold von Bayern" - aka "Poldi".
It's very likely that he raced on a 914 (don't know if /4 or /6).

Would be very nice to see some Photos from this race / car / guy

Maybe anybody could help ??

bye1.gif Gustl
jim_hoyland
Leopold was born on Schloss Umkirch near Freiburg im Breisgau in Baden-Württemberg. He is the eldest son of Prince Konstantin of Bavaria and his first wife Princess Maria Adelgunde of Hohenzollern-Sigmaringen.

Since his parents separated soon after he was born, Leopold was raised by his grandparents Prince Friedrich von Hohenzollern-Sigmaringen and Princess Margarete Carola of Saxony. He grew up on Schloss Umkirch together with his uncle Prince Ferfried who is only two months his senior. It was there the Prince developed his love for cars and racing. He started his career with rallying and in 1969 moved to touring car racing winning the North American Championships with Porsche in 1972. In 1984 he also took part in the legendary sports car endurance race 24 Hours of Le Mans together with Walter Brun and Bob Akin, finishing fourth. In 1986, Leopold became a factory driver for the Munich based car manufacturer BMW and although he retired from competitive racing in 1998, he remains involved with the BMW racing team as an adviser.

Wikipedia...
Gustl
yupp ... this is public knowledge ... at least in Germany smile.gif

but my special interest was the 1972 North American Ice Championship
"Poldi's" record says that he won it on Porsche - and some rumor says that it was a Porsche 914

would love to get more information about this point

and of course pics from the car ...

bye1.gif Gustl
r_towle
Gustl,

Find out his relationship with Henri and Tasilo.
Go look them up. Von Bayern...
My sons are close friends with these two (20 years old roughly)
They went to school together and we spent a bit of time with the family doing family things...

If its an uncle or a close relation, I can have my kids ask.

Rich
Gustl
I did my very best, but I can't find out anything about the relation between Poldi and Henri & Tasilo ... sad.gif

So I thought there might be an other chance to find out if Poldi raced a 914 ...

Does anybody have old Magazines (Panorama, Christophorus, R&T or similar) which might include any report about this "North American Ice Challange" from 1972?

any input appreceated beerchug.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.