Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Source & cost for turbo tie rods?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Hawk
Well, BS chairman and I have done the install of the Koni sports all around (thanks Brad) without losing too much skin. The ride is much improved, but I would like to tighten up the steering response somewhat.
Any suggestions on which turbo tie rod kits would be best? We've got a few mnore weeks of snow to get this nest operation done.
Thanks.
hawk driving.gif
Dave_Darling
I think all of the kits are the same. You should be able to get them from just about any of the Porsche parts pushers. My favorite, obviously, is Pelican... But you may have your own fave.

You may need to get yourself a sacrificial open-end wrench, and grind it so it is thinner in section. I am told there are a couple of nuts that have very tight access. I also have heard of people using specialty bicycle wrenches for those particular fasteners.

No, I don't remember which ones they are....

BTW, some anecdotal evidence for you:
A buddy of mine and his then girlfriend had his 'n' hers 911 SCs. (An 80 and an 81.) One (his) had really thrashed tie-rod ends, so my buddy picked up a set of the Turbo replacements. Thrilled to death with the improvement. So he swapped out the good-condition stock parts on hers. It made just about zero difference. His conclusion? The turbo bits don't make that much difference over good-condition stock bits.

YMMV, as always.

--DD
ArtechnikA
shop around. i was all prepared to buy them somwehere, even had the order in - in the 2 weeks it took 'em to actually ship anything i found them for $20 less. cancelled the first place. the $20-less set didn't come with the "spacers" that no one seems to be able to predict when you will or won't need them, although i have heard some fantastic theories (some from people who should have known better ...)

it's good to have 'favorite' suppliers but my list of 'favorite' suppliers has grown and sometimes it's surprising the price differences. i've been spending enough getting the 911 fully sorted that i have no qualms about price shopping - (almost) everybody's getting a piece of the pie...
Hawk
Ive found a wide range of prices from $99 to $179.
The inexpensive ones are Allmax and the other brand from $128 to $179 are Lemforter.
Which do you recommend?
anthony
FWIW, you are always supposed to install the spacers. They keep you from turning the rack too far and breaking it.
ArtechnikA
QUOTE(anthony @ Mar 17 2004, 01:44 PM)
FWIW, you are always supposed to install the spacers. They keep you from turning the rack too far and breaking it.

well there's another interesting theory ...
I installed mine without the spacers about 16 -20 years ago.
So far no concerns.... wink.gif
Aaron Cox
i believe the lemforders are the oem brand
Brad Roberts
Buy the expensive ones. The cheap ones are just that....

Peter, you will receive a check soon. We finished moving the shop and the cars are starting to get finished up and the checks are rolling in.

B
Brad Roberts
If you dont run the spacers... the number of threads in the actual tie rod end is REAL slim. It works but I personally want as much engagement as possible.

B
campbellcj
FWIW the guy who did most of my original 5-lug conversion and suspension setup handed me back the "cheap" (~$109) turbo tie rods in a box -- said they were crap and did not have the exact same range of motion and/or dimensions as OE. We put the Lemforder OEM parts on the car and no problems after a year of regular track use.
Brad Roberts
Yep. The area that you put the wrench on is very narrow and doesnt allow for proper torquing. We have yanked several sets off also.

B
jonwatts
This is supposedly the correct tool for installing turbo tie rods

IPB Image
Brad Roberts
It works.. but you cant get a torque reading from it. We use a LONG socket that has "Cclip" style inserts for the end of it. You put a 1/2 torque wrench on it.

B
ArtechnikA
QUOTE(Brad Roberts @ Mar 17 2004, 09:58 PM)
If you dont run the spacers... the number of threads in the actual tie rod end is REAL slim. It works but I personally want as much engagement as possible.

now there is an explanation that actually makes sense ...
campbellcj
I still have a set of the "cheap" flavor in my garage if it would help to post pics. I don't have pics of the Lemforders to compare side-by-side though.
ArtechnikA
QUOTE(campbellcj @ Mar 18 2004, 10:22 AM)
I still have a set of the "cheap" flavor in my garage if it would help to post pics. I don't have pics of the Lemforders to compare side-by-side though.

i've got a set of those too, and no 'good' ones to compare too. they'll be going on the car pretty soon, and i'll be watching them v-e-r-y closely throughout the season. bought 'em from a reputable place, too... if i hafta replace them before next season, okay. if i hafta replace 'em BEFORE next season you will definitely read about it here !
airsix
Ok, but who's got the best price on the expensive ones? Or is everyone selling them for the same price? (~$179?)

-Ben M.
lagunero
O.K. so the Lemforders are the good ones? And if I have the crappy ones is it just better to install the standard 914 ties?
brant
chris,

post the pictures please...

brant
Gint
I used one of these
Gint
It has a 1/2" socket end so you can torque the tie rods.
Gint
I still had to grind the appropriate "foot" or "socket" (for lack of a better term) so it was thin enough. But you can buy replacements from Lisle.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.