Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 2.0 motor takes oil bath
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
srohling
Guys,

Need your help on this. I was driving my 74' 2.0 to the gym today. When I parked I noticed smoke coming from the engine lid. When I opened it, oil had been sprayed all over the engine compartment. Motor is running fine. Could it be the dry rotted tube I removed which fell apart in my hands. It ran from the rear firewall to a small port/nipple right beneath the number 3 plug.....I left about a 4" piece which is just sitting there. BTW, this is a carb'ed motor...no FI.

Any help is appreciated.
Scott
VaccaRabite
Yeah, that would be the cause...

That nipple is a breather vent. the hose should go either into a puke can, or back into the crank case.

If the hose is gone, you are going to be pumping oil out of the heads and all over everything.

Zach
r_towle
Funny thing.
I have been chasing a leak for years.
I replaced all the hoses twice...this last time with high temp BMW oil hoses...new clamps etc.
Finally I found it.
The fitting that goes into the head is brazed in there....mine was just loose enough that when hot it would spray out around the fitting....when cold the fitting would not move or twist (so I was going nuts)

Yesterday I pulled on the hose (after cleaning up the traditional oil puddle) and the fitting came out of the head.

Happy to have finally found the leak....now I get the pleasure of trying to fix it.

To answer the post...if that head breather tube is open it will spray out alot of oil when you are at high RPM

Rich
srohling
as usual....thanks for the prompt reply and big help.

Scott
Cap'n Krusty
Not that I'm the most experienced welder in the world, but I did pay attention in class. I don't think it's possible to braze aluminum. Every original equipment breather tube I've ever seen in a T4 head has been pressed in. In the past when I've had to effect repairs to there, I've enlisted the aid of JB Weld.

The Cap'n
r_towle
QUOTE(Cap'n Krusty @ Nov 9 2009, 06:43 PM) *

Not that I'm the most experienced welder in the world, but I did pay attention in class. I don't think it's possible to braze aluminum. Every original equipment breather tube I've ever seen in a T4 head has been pressed in. In the past when I've had to effect repairs to there, I've enlisted the aid of JB Weld.

The Cap'n

I am saving this....

I thought you did not allow JBWeld into your shop laugh.gif

Im not sure how its held in place...looks like an attempt was made with some material...could have been aluminum TIG welding...its an aluminum tube....

I plan to give the JBWeld a shot...hope it works.
Or, I may just tap it.

Rich
Gint
QUOTE(Cap'n Krusty @ Nov 9 2009, 04:43 PM) *

The Cap'n

agree.gif I drilled my 1.8 heads for vents using the stock location and angle. I was going for a press fit, but it wasn't easy to drill a nice straight hole in the head at that angle. So the slight slop that is there got filled with JB Weld as well as a small bead around the tube where it enters the hole in the head. They're still holding up just fine.
Gint
QUOTE(srohling @ Nov 9 2009, 04:13 PM) *
Could it be the dry rotted tube I removed which fell apart in my hands. It ran from the rear firewall to a small port/nipple right beneath the number 3 plug.....

Just outa curiosity, where does the other end of that hose go?
mbjarts
I just went through the same thing after I finally got my motor running well. look at this thread: "Need An Oil Breather Suggestion" (I dont know how to actually link to another thread).

I'm getting the oil can thing. I already bought the "vw bugpack" and that made things worse. (oil sprays all over the enigine compartment)
AvalonFal
QUOTE(Gint @ Nov 10 2009, 09:26 AM) *

QUOTE(srohling @ Nov 9 2009, 04:13 PM) *
Could it be the dry rotted tube I removed which fell apart in my hands. It ran from the rear firewall to a small port/nipple right beneath the number 3 plug.....

Just outa curiosity, where does the other end of that hose go?

Anti-flashback can.

Paul
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.