Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 911 motor mount conversion tips ?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
orange914
got a set of e-bay 911 mounts to install, any experianced input on aditional steps/washers/ect. that will help before i get at it. thanks

mike
Joe Bob
Unless it's the bulkhead Rich Johnson mount....I wouldn't use it. The Patrick Motor Sport and the Quick Six mounts would have to improve to suck......
type47
Are you installing these at the tranmission mounts? If so, I was told to avoid using 911 engine mounts (I have seen advice to use 911 sport mounts as transmission mounts) because of the possibility that the bolt will/could tear through the rubber in the mount and drop the trans. I suppose if you put a huge washer to prevent the bolt from tearing the rubber out it would be OK. I switched back to solid trans mounts (from the sport mount) to follow this advice.
orange914
QUOTE(Rico Suave @ Nov 10 2009, 11:28 AM) *

Unless it's the bulkhead Rich Johnson mount....I wouldn't use it. The Patrick Motor Sport and the Quick Six mounts would have to improve to suck......

no, i'm talking about using the 911 mounts to replace the o.e. 914 trans mounts... or did i screw up and buy the wrong mounts? it certainly wouldn't be the first time!

mike
Joe Bob
I've used them with the washers as described above.....
orange914
QUOTE(type47 @ Nov 10 2009, 11:31 AM) *

Are you installing these at the tranmission mounts? If so, I was told to avoid using 911 engine mounts (I have seen advice to use 911 sport mounts as transmission mounts) because of the possibility that the bolt will/could tear through the rubber in the mount and drop the trans. I suppose if you put a huge washer to prevent the bolt from tearing the rubber out it would be OK. I switched back to solid trans mounts (from the sport mount) to follow this advice.

QUOTE(Rico Suave @ Nov 10 2009, 11:35 AM) *

I've used them with the washers as described above.....

o.k. thats an issue i wondered about. i suppose i could use the large washers from the old mounts have as i recall. i'm thinking the 911 vrs. the 914 are different thicknesses, do i need to shim?
Cap'n Krusty
They're THE SAME configuration! Just put 'em in as if you were reusing the old mounts ............................ Assuming, of course, you have all the correct pieces.

The Cap'n
mgphoto
I used the 911 sport mounts which are not the same shape as the 914 mount, the outer diameter of the inner metal sleeve for the bolt is much smaller on the 911 unit. The 914 rubber mounts are made to fit within the beveled cup on the metal plate, there is even a locating pin on the mount that fits a recess in the plate (see photo below), the plate prevents the 914 mounting bolt from tearing thought the rubber, if the 914 plate is used there will be a gap of at least a 1/4 inch between the rubber and the plate, that and the difference in size of the inner sleeve could be a problem.
My solution was to use a bar of steel stock, cut to the same size as the 914 plate, size 95 mm by 55 mm, (I used a 1/8 thickness so I did not have to bend the edges of the plate to increase the strength of the part), I drilled a hole in the center, mounted it in place of the 914 plate, it will prevent the bolt from tearing through the rubber if the mount fails, (sorry no photo of solution as it is already in the car).

Mike
ps: I have not clipped reverse gear since installing the new mounts.

old 914 plate
Click to view attachment
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.