Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Deep oil sump
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
tradisrad
While cornering the other day I noticed that my oil pressure dropped from 60 psi to about 20psi. Assuming that I was sucking air along with my oil I quickly let off of the gas...
Anyhow I am wondering about a deep oil sump, the tuna can from weltmeister and any other options to prevent oil starvation during cornering.
Is there a common upgrade, a prefered upgrade and what are the pros and cons.
thanks
-Rob
detoxcowboy
Con is clearance ( hit that and your screwed but its a close call and no more oil screen (weltmeister version or better known as THE TUNA CAN) .. Pro's depending on your driving style..

Tuna Can.

I would not get any more involved than that unless your 914 is a Track Car..
URY914
Go with a tuna can.
pcar9146guy
Get a two or three quart Accsump. It will put two/three quarts of oil under pressure into the engine if you loose oil pressure plus it will pre-pressurize the engine before you start it.....
Mark Henry
The deep sump for type 4's suck. A piss poor type 1 sump design cobbled up into a worse sump for a type 4.

Tuna can.
davep
Geez guys, with recommendations like that, how am I ever going to sell that NOS deep sump I have?
VaccaRabite
I am running a tuna can on my car. Adds an extra 1/2 quart of oil, or so.
tradisrad
the accusump seems to be a great solution, but it's not wallet freindly--but then neither is a oil starved crank bearing. I do like the fact that it pre-oils the engine before startup. Can this system overfill the crank case with oil?

I ran my car up Kings mountain road in Woodside and I did not see any oil pressure fluxuation. It was getting onto the freeway-speeding through the long clover-leaf that I had the drop in pressure.

It seems that the tuna can is the common add on. will the tuna can run dry during the long sweeping corner?
URY914
QUOTE(tradisrad @ Nov 11 2009, 06:50 PM) *

will the tuna can run dry during the long sweeping corner?

It shouldn't.
pcar9146guy
The Accusump will not over fill the engine. It puts oil into the engine until the pressure is back to normal. I have a six and use the three quart and use the 12 volt solenoid. The two quart should be fine for a four.....

http://www.accusump.com/accusump_tech.html#Howdoes
BarberDave
smilie_pokal.gif

Another alternative to the Acusump and Tuna Can is deep sump. I have run a 1 1/2

Qt. one for 3 yrs. now with no problems. Add the extra oil and extra cooling. The

common complaint I hear is ground clearence. Mine is stock height no troble with

speed bumps , or driveway approaches. Bolts directly to bottom of the engine.

A little pricey ,I think, I paid a little over $100.00, can run 80 mph in hottest

weather all day long and oil temp has never got over 210 degrees. Just another option for

you. Dave slap.gif
bugsy0
QUOTE(URY914 @ Nov 11 2009, 07:54 PM) *

QUOTE(tradisrad @ Nov 11 2009, 06:50 PM) *

will the tuna can run dry during the long sweeping corner?

It shouldn't.

that's useful slap.gif
'73-914kid
I also run the 1.5 oil sump in my daily driver 914. It's as low as a street 914 can possibly be and still have ground clearance. I've only scraped the sump drain plate once, and that was when the car bottomed out going through a severe blind dip going 60mph.. it slightly scraped the lip of the metal sump plate, but that was it. No other damage was done. This was largely due to the fact that the stamped steel lip is quite a bit lower than the rest of the oil sump.

Unless someone else can argue against this with evidence, I see nothing wrong with it. My car leaks no oil from the deep sump, and I have never seen a drop in oil pressure on some fairly intense clover leafs... As long as you aren't stupid and fly over speedbumps, I see nothing wrong. And plus, you reatain the oil sump screen to catch any bits of gasket or other crap that may be floating around in the crankcase.

It may be a rudimentary design, but it sure does work.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.