Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Thursday night call 11/12/09 Some topics to discuss
914World.com > The 914 Forums > Events Forum > Past Event Planning Threads
rick 918-S
A) Moving up the date for the fund raiser

cool.gif Locking in a location for the build

C) Launch request for volunteers

C-1) as part of the launch we will need to pick a weekend and lock it in as a target date. People will need to plan time off of work for this specially if they are coming from long distance.

C-2) we need to have no frills discount hotel/motel space lined up before the launch.

C-3) Once we have a date and place with a number of guys comitting We need to assign a team captain in charge of meals and start a sub plan with at person in charge keeping people fed and watered.

Parts budget update.

Locking in a location for the build

I called McMark and told him about our plan for the fund raiser and asked for his blessing. He has no problem with this and is behind it.

He brought up an interesting point though about all of us being long time members here. In allowing a fund raiser I wonder how we keep what were doing from spawning fund raisers for other things. This is a fine line. We are all passionate about what were doing here. But others may have passions they feel strongly about also. This is one of those moral delemas we may never have to address. I think I'm just thinking out loud.

tat2dphreak
This is a fine line.

I did not think about that before, but that is true. however I would hope people would see the difference between a 914 benefit fund-raiser, and a "my kid is selling cookies" fund-raiser. also with admin blessing, the admins can help withthe "you let them do it, why not me?" stuff
EdwardBlume
Girl Scout Cookies piss me off.. they are totally addictive, sold by little kids you can't say no to... they might as well just withold money from my pay..

I digress.

I agree with you Rick and Wayne - this is kind of a part of why there's angels in the first place. Anyone can blow a hole in good intentions and people's efforts with just one comment.

Maybe we should dumb it down to a single person raising the money... someone everyone knows.... and likes... who among us has the best reputation??

Just an idea...
tat2dphreak
someone everyone knows.... and likes...

just thinking out loud here...

my first thought is mike, since he's kinda been the face of the project. but he's done so much, and is so involved, it would not be fair to ask even more.

in my years around here, I've never heard anything bad said about Rick or Dr. Evil tho. I think Rick mentioned he has done sales(?), that type of presentation skills could be exactly what we need?

I would be happy to do it, but I was recently accused of giving someone bad advice just to sell parts, which was total BS, btw. I don't rub everyone the right way, I guess smile.gif

overall I think any of us could probably do it, BUT I think the unity of the small group is a great strength. being recognized as a single unit, with not just 1 reputation but 6 reputations on the line...
rick 918-S
Ya, I think that's it Wayne. Because we are well know in the 914 circles we have street cred. I don't see this ever becoming an issue however I thought we should add something to the opening post like:

" This is not the usual place to hold a fund raiser but with the blessing of the admins we have been allowed to do something very special and meaningful"

Yada, Yada...
tat2dphreak
QUOTE(rick 918-S @ Nov 12 2009, 02:21 PM) *

Ya, I think that's it Wayne. Because we are well know in the 914 circles we have street cred. I don't see this ever becoming an issue however I thought we should add something to the opening post like:

" This is not the usual place to hold a fund raiser but with the blessing of the admins we have been allowed to do something very special and meaningful"

Yada, Yada...

agree.gif beerchug.gif
Kansas 914

The key is this is a 914World "approved" event. Will the admins let us say that?

Yep - the more people with a face on the fund raiser the more it looks like a group thing and not a selfish single minded effort - though I think a few already know it is real. There have been just under 4000 views on the topic with 220 replies.

Touchy ground - tough call. I have never done anything like this so I will of course defer to the consensus.

I am probably the least known on the forum - I am member 373 but had less than 100 posts prior to the project - big time lurker...
EdwardBlume
agree.gif You can't go wrong with either Mike or Rick.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.