Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: state of your car now
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2
tat2dphreak
thinking about Todd's thread, I got to wondering how many 914s on the forum are in what state of "completion"?

I know the cars are never complete. there's always something to do... but looking at the winters projects some to-do lists are much more entailed than others.

so where are you and your 914 at?

I know I went through a period of about 3 years where I could not do anything to the car, it can be easy to give up. maybe seeing other people in the same boat will help motivate you to finish?

personally mine runs and drives great, but I need to put in an oil cooler before I get caught in traffic again.
Shade Tree
Most of the time, mine is a daily driver. Presently, the carbs are in need of attention
so I haven't driven it for almost a week. The carbs are off. They're Dellorto DRLA 40's with 36 mm venturis. I can't decide if I'm going to put them back on or try out the idf 40 webers with 28mm venturis that I recently purchased.
tat2dphreak
QUOTE(Shade Tree @ Nov 12 2009, 11:43 AM) *

Most of the time, mine is a daily driver. Presently, the carbs are in need of attention
so I haven't driven it for almost a week. The carbs are off. They're Dellorto DRLA 40's with 36 mm venturis. I can't decide if I'm going to put them back on or try out the idf 40 webers with 28mm venturis that I recently purchased.

depends on the engine? the dells are usually great carbs. they may just need a rebuild. my webers have 32mm vents for a 2056, but a stock 2.0 may be fine for the 28mm vents. for the 1.8, the 36mm vents sounds BIG.
SirAndy
Daily driver. No major issues. driving.gif

Yet my ToDo list is longer than a irrational number ...
rolleyes.gif Andy
TravisNeff
Magically, most all issues have been dealt with and the car runs good. DD for me (although I only drive it about once every week or two).
flipb
Andy,

Does the board software (v. 9.1.4 :-)) permit setting up polls as either anonymous or identifiable?

Meaning - you could click on any of the poll answers and get a list of the people who've answered that way.

I've seen this on other forum sites. It would be up to the poll creator (or maybe the responder, if we want to get complicated) to determine if answers are anonymous or public.

It would be great for polls like this, as long as no one was uncomfortable having their id linked to their answer.
Shade Tree
QUOTE(tat2dphreak @ Nov 12 2009, 09:48 AM) *

QUOTE(Shade Tree @ Nov 12 2009, 11:43 AM) *

depends on the engine? the dells are usually great carbs. they may just need a rebuild. my webers have 32mm vents for a 2056, but a stock 2.0 may be fine for the 28mm vents. for the 1.8, the 36mm vents sounds BIG.

It's a 2.0. The dells are on the bench and I will finish rebuilding them this weekend whether I decide to run them again or not. Except for the current issue of clogged accelerator pump circuits, they've been running well even with the big venturis. I've been getting 28mpg! I think I can get it to idle smoother with the webers, though, so that's probably where I'm headed. I have rebuild kits for them too but still need jets and emulsion tubes.
tat2dphreak
Does the board software (v. 9.1.4 :-)) permit setting up polls as either anonymous or identifiable?

I do not see that option sad.gif

I would almost want the poll to be fluid tho, where a user could change their vote depending on the state of the car..

the 2.0 would run good on either the dells or the webers. I've always heard the dells were superior carbs, but I have always had the webers. with the dells you actually get a little more total size IIRC was the big difference. perhaps all you need is a slightly smaller vent in the dells? jake helped me with the setup on my jets.
dlo914
I'm gonna let these two pictures do all the talking:
IPB Image
IPB Image
Scott S
Mine is the opposite - it is "done", runs great. However, I will start pulling it apart, motor out, etc in the next 30 days. headbang.gif
914werke
Which one? I dont seem to fit in any Box~!
Sleepin
Two of them are running and driving, and awaiting paint. One is a roller and getting sold next week.
tradisrad
My project is just about done. I bought a '70 roller, rust free and original paint. The car had been off of the road since the mid '80s. I replaced all bushing with the elephant poly broze, rebuilt all the brakes, rekeyed all the locks, wired it for a center consol, installed fog lights. Removed the engine from my '73 and put it and the trans into the '70. New carpet kit and many many other items.
I've been driving it for two weeks now. I took it by LarryR who I bought it from to rub in what a great car he sold to me! But a lot of that greatness came from 6 months of labor!
Eddie914
My Teener is not a daily driver (... it is a street driven track toy) but has been up and running most of the five years I have had it. It was on jack stands for a couple of months when the 2.7 went KABLAMO and the 3.2 was being sourced and rebuilt. With no heat and lots of water leaks, it's not a very good daily driver in the wet and cool PNW.

Of course it is always the subject of upgrades ... more power, less weight and better braking. Cosmetics? ... it's a track toy - that can wait!

Cheers,

Eddie
SirAndy
QUOTE(flipb @ Nov 12 2009, 10:02 AM) *

No.
BMXerror
Mine pretty much stays in a running state. It's undergoing a slow race prep, but I'm regularly autocrossing with it. So most of my projects are weekend projects... Add-ons to make it go faster, rather than to keep it running. Mechanically it's pretty solid.
Mark D.
OK, I kinda lied by answering "Running, Driven, Still Tweaking".
Tho I guess I do qualify for Still Tweaking.

My newly rebuilt motor has not been cranked yet and it just last weekend came off the jackstands which it had occupied for a month while I dropped old running motor/put in new and adding 19mm front sway bar. It had been running/driven since year ago April very regularly up until last week of Sept right after the MUSR. Numerous AX's and RCR, Dragon and Fayetteville AR trips.

KP
turboman808
Mine runs fine other then I hate the transmission. My next step is a sequential transmission with along with possibly paddle shifters.

A bump up to 350 hp and some custom suspension work are ideas I have for later down the line. Nothing I am in a hurry to do though.

Car runs great and hauls ass all the way to 120mph before I have trouble finding 5th and have to slow down. Did I mention I hate the transmission LOL
tat2dphreak
My next step is a sequential transmission with along with possibly paddle shifters.

that would be very cool on a street car imo! smilie_pokal.gif
72914S
Not on jack stands. The motor is out and on the stand. Waiting for my turn on the rotisery, as it needs a new rear floor pan.
jt914-6
Running and driven, some, still tweaking.....since March. Two DE's, both had weekend ending problems, ejected chain ramp pin and thrown fan belt. What better place to test than at a track? At least the brakes work!!!!!

Click to view attachment
MrZir
Bought it in pieces. After 18 months of ownership I have gotten to stare at it and switch out the stuff that was stacked on top of it. Someday though...
neil30076
Running great and ready to be driven when ever i get the urge - or about 3 times a week - shares my time with my 928!
gopack
Should have had a poll answer that stated: part way done, ran out of money with the damn economy, and the wife wants me to sell it for pennies ont he dollar ($0.20, to be exact!).
orange914
since we put so much time and $ into the engine and finishing the car off, we use it only occasionally. i'm glad kenny uses his impreza as his dd. we save the 914 for fun, beside the suby will take the daily grind better, keeping the 914 around and enjoyed much longer. driving.gif
raw1298
Spent the last 3 years rounding up parts and cleaning up the inside of the car. Interior is painted ready for carpet seats etc. , still need to do the dash cover. Rest of car is being worked on this winter. Hell hole patching is first, brakes second, and then install the engine. after that we get flares on and paint! I know that I would have been money ahead buying a car that was running instead of a stripped roller. But where is the fun in that? biggrin.gif
jsayre914
DD shades.gif
iamchappy
Been driving it a few times a week.

I plan on cleaning up some wirings with some weatherpack connectors and PosiLock.
Pull engine and resolve the oil leaks once and for all.
J P Stein
It was runnin' when I sold it. confused24.gif
r_towle
Its not a valid pole.
You need to have lots of options for people with multiple cars.

Rich
john grier
I voted dd although I don't use it for that.
Maybe I should,
I would save on gas.
And have a biggrin.gif on my face at the same time.
hot_shoe914
Mine is just a turd that needs to be restored but I just keep driving.gif the stromberg.gif out of it.
ericread
State of my car??? California shades.gif

jd74914
QUOTE(r_towle @ Nov 12 2009, 08:06 PM) *

Its not a valid pole.
You need to have lots of options for people with multiple cars.

Rich

agree.gif

One of mine is my daily driver. Its been running great lately; now I just have to hook up the heater hoses in preparation for winter. Luckily it hasn't been too cold as of late.

Car #2 is sitting in the garage stripped and in bare metal waiting for me to have time to get to it (which won't happen until after graduation next May and FSAE in Michigan), and car #3 is sitting outside and unloved with a sized motor; just waiting for car #2 to be finished. laugh.gif
d914
still up in the air

Click to view attachment
VaccaRabite
Mine runs, and has several hundred miles on it. But I have a LOT left to do on it yet to make it "right."

Zach
Gint
One is a driver and the other is the terminal resto...

No poll option for both. Or multiples 914s laugh.gif

IPB Image

IPB Image

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?act...;f=2&t=1191
tat2dphreak
well, it won't let me add an option for "multiple" now
ClayPerrine
As of this morning, mine is back on the road. It was down for months while I fixed the oil leaks and upgraded the motor to S spec.

Yesterday I was out tweaking it and the injection pump locked up. headbang.gif So now I am temporarily running 40IDA3C carbs while I send the pump off to Pacific Fuel Injection for rebuild.

Betty's runs, but poorly. I need to tear down and rebuild her motor. I have most of the parts, and now that my car is up and on the road, I can start on her motor.

Gint
QUOTE(tat2dphreak @ Nov 13 2009, 10:00 AM) *
well, it won't let me add an option for "multiple" now
I added one for ya. wink.gif

And I voted!
JRust
70 914-8 (buick 215 v8) On stands broken suspension ear. While it's there engine is out. Moving tranny back 1 1/2". Adding FI to my motor. Also replacing my mechanical water pump for a remote electric pump. Stuck waiting for the LE to be done. Then I can start on all of the above.

74 2.0 LE Creamsicle- Waiting on my motor rebuild. Need to finish interior also. Tranny is rebuilt & waiting to be bolted to the motor. Should be done but my motor has screwed my motivation. Just waiting to be finished by a friend. Seriously should be done right now. His work schedule has been very eratic. Probably a week out once I get my motor dry.gif

73 2.0 stock car. Serious hell hole issues. Passenger long(from suspension ear to mid door), passenger rear floor & jack point of course! Who knows when I will get to this one. Maybe next winter confused24.gif
BMXerror
Is there a way to update your vote for a blown tranny? dry.gif Happened at an autocross school today. I'm a DIY go-getter, but I don't think this a gonna be a quick fix... Still a good day, though. She seriously raised some eyebrows before it happened! driving.gif biggrin.gif aktion035.gif
Mark D.
mtn flyr
Mine could be driven daily but I would need snow tires for the roads around here, 24" of new snow is keeping it in the garage right now!
dakotaewing
QUOTE(JRust @ Nov 14 2009, 12:40 AM) *

70 914-8 (buick 215 v8) On stands broken suspension ear. While it's there engine is out. Moving tranny back 1 1/2". Adding FI to my motor. Also replacing my mechanical water pump for a remote electric pump. Stuck waiting for the LE to be done. Then I can start on all of the above.

74 2.0 LE Creamsicle- Waiting on my motor rebuild. Need to finish interior also. Tranny is rebuilt & waiting to be bolted to the motor. Should be done but my motor has screwed my motivation. Just waiting to be finished by a friend. Seriously should be done right now. His work schedule has been very eratic. Probably a week out once I get my motor dry.gif

73 2.0 stock car. Serious hell hole issues. Passenger long(from suspension ear to mid door), passenger rear floor & jack point of course! Who knows when I will get to this one. Maybe next winter confused24.gif

Jaime -

What FI are you adding to your V8 project? I have yet to find anything for V8 cars that was less than $1500- $2000....
EdwardBlume
sww914's got my Dad's car down in SLO. Man, I miss it... I can't wait to take my kids for a drive!
MikeSpraggi
"State of your car now, where is your 914 project at?"

Maryland!
sean_v8_914
screamin banshee.
partner up with someone. you push eachother and this is what happens
helios
Mine is currently a runner/driver.....though that's going to change in a couple weeks. It's fixing to go up on jackstands for the first time since I've owned the car for floorpan repairs, dropping the engine/trans for engine bay inspection and motor mounts, pulling the fuel tank for CFR fuel lines and wiper motor work. Hopefully I don't get to ambitious with it. unsure.gif
PeeGreen 914
I couldn't select any of those choices dry.gif . It could be a daily I guess but really wouldn't want to drive it all the time blink.gif I need my back biggrin.gif
dlestep
...my 74 is still on the jack stands...a little more welding...then the body prep
for paint.
I purchased parts for it for last three years, so when the body work is complete
I will be bolting on all of the good stuff.
I will have to learn how to drive it all over again. I've modified and upgraded
the suspension, brakes, stiffened it and have installed a cage.
Dave
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.