Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Pics of your Carb fuel pump
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
r_towle
I am looking for a really clean, well thought out location for a rotary fuel pump.

For me, well thought out is ease of fuel filter replacement (yearly)

It will be in a 72 body, so I wont be cutting the firewall and no 75/76 location for me.

Thanx in advance.

Rich
SGB
High pressure, for FI?
r_towle
QUOTE(SGB @ Nov 12 2009, 10:08 PM) *

High pressure, for FI?

Carbs....see title poke.gif
GeorgeRud
No need to cut the firewall, just mount the pump up front by the steering rack/front suspension crossmember. The small rotary pump fits easily using some rubber isolation mounts, and it likes to push gas rather than suck gas, so it's an ideal location.

I don't have any pictures of my installation, but the pump I used is made by Piermont (sp????). I think they're available through the VW parts dealers - I got mine from Mid-America in Effingham, Il., but I'm sure that CB and others also stock them.
Elliot Cannon
For low pressure (3.5psi) mount it anywhere you want as long as it's at or below the level of the fuel tank. For high pressure FI mount it directly under the gas tank.
IronHillRestorations
Mount it in the front trunk next to the spare, but under the removeable board. You can put the filter there too. If you want to be extra cautious you can add a ineria cut off switch in case of an impact.
kenshapiro2002
So, you need to pull the tank to change the filter?

QUOTE(GeorgeRud @ Nov 12 2009, 11:53 PM) *

No need to cut the firewall, just mount the pump up front by the steering rack/front suspension crossmember. The small rotary pump fits easily using some rubber isolation mounts, and it likes to push gas rather than suck gas, so it's an ideal location.

I don't have any pictures of my installation, but the pump I used is made by Piermont (sp????). I think they're available through the VW parts dealers - I got mine from Mid-America in Effingham, Il., but I'm sure that CB and others also stock them.

kenshapiro2002
Curious...why don't you wanna cut the firewall and put in a 75/76 access panel (like I'm doing right now)?

QUOTE(r_towle @ Nov 12 2009, 09:46 PM) *

I am looking for a really clean, well thought out location for a rotary fuel pump.

For me, well thought out is ease of fuel filter replacement (yearly)

It will be in a 72 body, so I wont be cutting the firewall and no 75/76 location for me.

Thanx in advance.

Rich

BIGKAT_83
QUOTE(9146986 @ Nov 13 2009, 09:10 AM) *

Mount it in the front trunk next to the spare, but under the removeable board. You can put the filter there too. If you want to be extra cautious you can add a ineria cut off switch in case of an impact.

agree.gif
Cheap Insurance. You will be glad you did it if you ever need it. Every newer car at the pick and pull has one of these. About $1

Bob
Click to view attachment
tat2dphreak
QUOTE(GeorgeRud @ Nov 12 2009, 10:53 PM) *

agree.gif

mine is up under the access panel near where the fuel lines come out to go into the tunnel.
Cevan
Has anyone actually tried to replace the fuel filter via the access panel? I'm not sure I have enough slack in the fuel lines to be able to pull it through the hole.
ME733
QUOTE(9146986 @ Nov 13 2009, 09:10 AM) *

popcorn[1].gif This is exactly where I put mine. To me It just makes sense, as accessability , inspection, and fuel (metal) filter replacement, is SIMPLE. Use rubber soft mounts for the fuel pump, and filter mounting. I used "adel" clamps to secure the fuel lines and rubber gromets in the sheetmetal holes to protect the fuel lines . I did enlarge an existing drain hole in the trunk floor right near and below the fuel pump for vapor removal, (if any should occur). Just in case. Install the spare tire, and secure it. It will be obvious where everything could /should go. Remember that any items/ tools etc stashed in the spare tire well must be secure and away from the pump, filter and lines. Inside the spare tire is a good place and on top of the trunk board. .to consider. popcorn[1].gif
SirAndy
QUOTE(r_towle @ Nov 12 2009, 06:46 PM) *

I used the CB Rotary on my 2056 in the (early) stock location using the stock mounting and stock wiring and stock relay to power the pump.

It's all there, wiring, hoses, mounting holes. I didn't even hack the wiring harness, just used spade connectors on the pump wiring that plugged straight into the stock connector. One jumper wire on the relay board to fool the relay into thinking the FI brain was still there and you're good to go.

bye1.gif Andy
sean_v8_914
I have used Andy's method several times
Rav914
Andy's method. No issues and easy to do.
r_towle
I dont want the pump in the stock location. Its not a great place IMHO.

Like ME733 I have the FI pump mounted in the front trunk for 4 years now with no issues. I also have a metal filter unit.

I may keep it all there and do a better job of building a secure cover for it...but I was hoping to see PICS of some of the other ideas and rational.

Specifically a few members have mounted the fuel pump under the tank and under the front anti swap bar...I would like to hear why and if you have had issues...

Rich
kenshapiro2002
That's where mine is going. Isn't that the stock spot on 75/76 cars?
Click to view attachment

QUOTE(r_towle @ Nov 13 2009, 05:56 PM) *

Like ME733 I have the FI pump mounted in the front trunk for 4 years now with no issues. I also have a metal filter unit.

I may keep it all there and do a better job of building a secure cover for it...but I was hoping to see PICS of some of the other ideas and rational.

Specifically a few members have mounted the fuel pump under the tank and under the front anti swap bar...I would like to hear why and if you have had issues...

Rich

SirAndy
QUOTE(r_towle @ Nov 13 2009, 02:56 PM) *

You failed to mention that in your post ... shades.gif

Here's where i mounted my 993 fuel pump. It doesn't suck at all, so it needs to be right under the tank. It's bigger than a stock pump but fits in there just fine.

The fuel filter is of the big round metal type and mounted in the engine compartment.
smash.gif Andy

PS: And yes, that hose has since been replaced with the correct type ...

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image
r_towle
So you are not filtering the fuel before the pump?
I do like that idea....did you make that panel or is that from some other car?
Rich
SirAndy
QUOTE(r_towle @ Nov 13 2009, 03:46 PM) *

No filter before the pump. You'll need a large chunk of metal to blow up that pump and i still have the "sock" inside the tank, so i'm not too worried.

The panel was had-crafted by McMark ... thumb3d.gif

driving.gif Andy
kenshapiro2002
I thought you'd want a filter between the tank and the pump too. I'm doing that and another one before the carbs, but considered the one between the tank and pump to be the most important one. Then again...whatta I know! lol-2.gif

QUOTE(r_towle @ Nov 13 2009, 06:46 PM) *

Rich

Joe Owensby
Here is a photo of a CB Performance pump that I used for carbs. I had a filter before the pump, and long enough lines to enable me to lift the tank up for removal. I only had one fuel line going to the rear of the car. This worked well.

I have since replaced this with a high pressure pump for fuel injection. I have it mounted in a similar manner as the newer 914's have, ie. behind an access panel in the front trunk. I bought an access panel from someone on the 914World site for about $10 or so. I left the hoses long enough to remove both the pump and the filter without having to remove the fuel tank. JoeO
GeorgeRud
The location shown is fine, but you have to remove the tank to get to it. You can also mount the pump in the same area, but underneath by the steering rack. Drill the isolation mounts through the floorboards, and it still fits between the steering rack, floor pan, and gravel guard. That way, it can be easily serviced if necessary, and if a leak develops, it will flow under the car and not into a body cavity.
kenshapiro2002
Exactlt what Im doing, but farther over to the left and with an access panel from a late model car...like you're doing with your newer FI pump.
QUOTE(Joe Owensby @ Nov 14 2009, 10:36 PM) *

Here is a photo of a CB Performance pump that I used for carbs. I had a filter before the pump, and long enough lines to enable me to lift the tank up for removal. I only had one fuel line going to the rear of the car. This worked well.

I have since replaced this with a high pressure pump for fuel injection. I have it mounted in a similar manner as the newer 914's have, ie. behind an access panel in the front trunk. I bought an access panel from someone on the 914World site for about $10 or so. I left the hoses long enough to remove both the pump and the filter without having to remove the fuel tank. JoeO

kenshapiro2002
Was your pump metric ? If not how did you go from the metric nipple on the tank to the US Standard fitting on your filter/pump?

QUOTE(GeorgeRud @ Nov 12 2009, 11:53 PM) *

PanelBilly
I put mine under the car in the steering rack "tunnel". Tomorrow I'll take a photo Don't have any idea if it works well. I'd need to have an engine installed to try it. It LOOKS good.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.