Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: The Bilsein shock green color
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
burton73
I took the struts assembly down to bear metal on the early Carrera front end for 914-6 #41 and the 84 Carrera front end for my V8 and want to repaint them. They are both where Green and have Bilstein struts. I have no true reference for a color match. Eric says the color is Bilstein Green. It is not like a Pantone color number. $30. For a pint and I am good to go. Is John Deer Green close. Any ideas. My colors are so old that they where so screwed up to bad to match anything too.

This is a nice Conda Green 914-6 GT
“This was the first of approximately 12 original FIA Group 4 Porsche 914-6 GTs built at Zuffenhausen in 1970. It was equipped with Type 901/36 twin plug 6-cylinder engine #640 0295, steel wheel flares and painted light ivory. Delivered to Autohaus Max Mortiz GmbH where it was modified per factory instructions for racing with 908 front brakes and engine modifications increasing its horsepower to 220 DIN, painted Conda Green.”

Bob
Click to view attachment
MrKona
Here's mine with off-label John Deere green. I think the can was around $4.00. biggrin.gif
IronHillRestorations
I 2nd the JD green, it's as close as you'll get in a spray can.
914Sixer
I found an even closer color. It is Oliver Green. I got it at Tractor Supply. I hope you can tell the difference from the pictures. The oliver green is just a shade darker and not quite so yellow.

One on left is JD Green
One on right is Oliver Green
kenshapiro2002
Wow...maybe ACE has the answer to my prayers. My car is actually painted Mack Truck Green, and I want some rattle cans just for engine compartment touch up. Mack doesn't have it and Dupont stores will only make me up some at $15 a can with a six can minimum.
burton73
QUOTE(914Sixer @ Nov 14 2009, 05:46 AM) *

I found an even closer color. It is Oliver Green. I got it at Tractor Supply. I hope you can tell the difference from the pictures. The oliver green is just a shade darker and not quite so yellow.

One on left is JD Green
One on right is Oliver Green

Mark,

The Oliver Green is what the old ones in #41 looked like. The struts also had spring to them not like the late Carrera ones. When I pushed the struts down they come right back. On the Carrera they do not just very slow to push down and very hard to pull back up but smooth.

Bob
Eric_Shea
The struts also had spring to them not like the late Carrera ones. When I pushed the struts down they come right back. On the Carrera they do not just very slow to push down and very hard to pull back up but smooth.

Hydraulic vs. Gas. Gas springs back.

Eric says the color is Bilstein Green

Thought I said JD Green. I like what Mark found though...
914Sixer
I have an original 914 Bilstien, I will try and get it out and take the picture of the Oliver green top and the factory bottom. The oliver green is very close.
Sleepin
I had never thought of it...but the Oliver's were painted just slightly darker than the JD's.

IPB Image
914Sixer
New pictures:

Oliver green on Stock Bilstien
JD green on Stock Bilstien
Painted Boge Oliver green next to stock Bilstien
Eric_Shea
Going through this myself this week with the ass-dragger.

Front struts are off getting soda blasted. New rear struts arrived Friday. I purchased a couple cans of Oliver based upon Mark's recommendation. We'll see how it goes! I should have my front struts back this coming week.

Click to view attachment
Eric_Shea
The verdict is in.

For me, this wasn't an exact match but I'm not that picky and I'm happy with my results.

This exercise will probably shed light on the fact that even Bilstein greens will probably change over the years and models.

Because I soda blasted them, my struts came out "fantastic". I would say "amazing" rattle can results that were actually anywhere from a great match (finish wise) to the original to even "better" than original. I wiped the soda blasted struts with vinegar and then sprayed a couple coats of automotive primer on them. I sanded the primer and laid a couple coats of Oliver Green. One thing I would do for a more original finish... try to get one good coat not two. Flies in the face of a lot of standard wisdom but, in looking at my new factory rears, I would say they have one good coat, probably baked on.

Pigment results - The Oliver Green did not have the "yellow" in it that the factory bilsteins did. I'll include both pictures (with flash and without) so you can make your decision. Also, the Valspar nozzle can be regarded as nothing more than a "challenge" to get a good even coat without splatters. Not a great rattle can nozzle if you ask me. Based upon Mark's earlier pictures, I think the John Deere green would be a better match for the new rear shocks I have here.

Overall... extremely happy with the results. I'd look for a tad more yellow in the finish for the Bilsteins I have to match them to. YMMV. I'm going to insert Mark's JD/Oliver comparision in the middle of the two:

Flash:
Click to view attachment

John Deere (left) Oliver (right)
IPB Image

Without:
Click to view attachment
914Sixer
Eric,
Like you said the color seems to vary over the years, depending on your preference either Oliver Green or JD Green will work. Oliver for the early darker and JD for the later lighter green.
Eric_Shea
Oliver for the early darker and JD for the later lighter green.

I'd say that sums it up. wink.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.