Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Long Crack Repair
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Strudelwagon
Hey folks,
I peeled back the old carpet and discovered that I have about a 1.5" stress crack in the drivers inner long. Starts at the floor and angles back toward the E-brake at about a 75 degrees.
Question... can I just weld it shut or is there a better way to deal with it?

Your wisdom is appreciated

SW
GeorgeRud
If you haven't done so already, I'd remove the outer rocker cover as well and check the entire panel, both inside and out. There are kits out there to reinforce the panels either from the inside or outside.

Search the posts and you should find lots of options.
Bruce Hinds
If it is a stress crack, make sure you stop drill each end of the crack. Even before you decide to weld it up.
McMark
Weld it up. They ALL crack there. It's one of the places I check on every car that comes in.

IPB Image
Strudelwagon
QUOTE(McMark @ Nov 13 2009, 11:01 PM) *

Weld it up. They ALL crack there. It's one of the places I check on every car that comes in.

IPB Image

Thanks,
I wasn't going to cut through and remove a good outer to access and weld the inner from inside the long as suggested earlier. Mine is rather minor in comparison to your picture.

SW
r_towle
I would suggest welding it up, then weld a patch panel over it that extends in all directions 4-6 inches.
Drill out the patch panel every 1 inch in a grid using 1/4 inch holes and plug weld the panel on top.
Grind all the welds , paint and put the carpet back on.

Rich
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.