Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: OT Pre A cab on E-bay
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
scotty b
My sincerest apologies to Murray for this non 914 posting dry.gif but I know many of you would be interested in this one. I'll go back to being a crotchity old bastard now. Thanks

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Porsche-356...5fCarsQ5fTrucks
Elliot Cannon
How much more would you have to spend on a restoration? I'm guessing a whole bunch?
scotty b
At his price and a full resto I'd guess the owner would have at least 150,000.00 in it when done. All that for a 120,000.00 car. But look at what we spend on a mid engined VW av-943.gif
jimkelly
for posterity - item # 220507515210
sww914
Should he build a big 4 or do a 6 conversion? biggrin.gif
aircooledtechguy
I can almost see spending that kind of coin on a Cabrio since you conceivably *could* re-coup your investment in a few years . The owner of this car is well on his way to spending the same amount but on a '53 Coupe at the shop across the street from me. It came to my shop for wiring, engine, trans and brake overhaul.

Click to view attachment

r_towle
10k for the motor rebuild
20-30k for the body restoration

If it holds in the 60's its a fair price.
Car would sell for at least 120k when done.

Rich
Cap'n Krusty
A person would be damn lucky to get a 546 or 528 motor out the door for $20K, much less 10. Even properly restored 356 A/B/C motors cost $15KThe guys with the parts, and you can count them on one hand, part with them only with substantial financial persuasion. Tranny parts, too, are priceless, and some bearings have been NLA for decades. Most people move up to 644 internals, and even then parts are tough to come by.

The Cap'n
Joe Bob
I'd just do the engine, leave the body as-is....
Ferg
Yeah, you guys are way low for your resto costs...

30k engine
40k body/paint
15-20k interior top
10k misc chrome
15k parts and refurb

easy a 120k resto, I'd even add another 20% for the gotchas.

Cool car though. Could be a high 100 car when done.

Ferg
plymouth37
I would love to find that jewel in a forgotten barn! Nice find!
aircooledtechguy
QUOTE(r_towle @ Nov 14 2009, 10:34 AM) *

These motors are rare as hens teeth and I can assure you you will have a lot more than that in a rebuild. Think VW Okrasa on steriods. . . The one I rebuilt had parts from every part of the globe to complete it. Also the "experts" that send junk or mismatched parts and waste time and $$$ doing so. . .

It's possible. . . Add $10K+ for chrome restoration. That is a leather interior w/ real German $quare weave carpet figure another easy $10K+. Then there's the gauges, switches, wiring. That Telefunken radio will cost a grand or more alone to be restored. Then there's the separate amp in the passanger foot well. . . rolleyes.gif And on, and on, and. . .

Before you know it, $80K+ has drained from your account huh.gif

The moral of the story is buy one done unless the restoration process IS the part you love about these cla$$ics (and for some it is). These are not for the faint of heart.
biosurfer1
I love how the owner throws "must be a prototype" in one of the picture descriptions...fishing for some higher bids huh??

Reads "I don't know what it is and have never seen one, so it HAS to be a prototype right?!?"
r_towle
QUOTE(aircooledtechguy @ Nov 14 2009, 03:20 PM) *

These motors are rare as hens teeth and I can assure you you will have a lot more than that in a rebuild. Think VW Okrasa on steriods. . . The one I rebuilt had parts from every part of the globe to complete it. Also the "experts" that send junk or mismatched parts and waste time and $$$ doing so. . .

It's possible. . . Add $10K+ for chrome restoration. That is a leather interior w/ real German $quare weave carpet figure another easy $10K+. Then there's the gauges, switches, wiring. That Telefunken radio will cost a grand or more alone to be restored. Then there's the separate amp in the passanger foot well. . . rolleyes.gif And on, and on, and. . .

Before you know it, $80K+ has drained from your account huh.gif

The moral of the story is buy one done unless the restoration process IS the part you love about these cla$$ics (and for some it is). These are not for the faint of heart.

10k motor rebuild is typical.
20-30k restoration can be done...

Rich
brer
piece of junk. smile.gif

in 1992 I was offered a restored 51' cab by Richard Hart in Santa Barbara for 30k. I should have bought it. I should have bought it. damns.
aircooledtechguy
QUOTE(r_towle @ Nov 14 2009, 08:39 PM) *

10k motor rebuild is typical.
20-30k restoration can be done...

Rich

Then I would highly recommend that you buy that car. Let me know how it goes with 10K to do a '53 era motor back to original condition. I've done one and I can tell you I don't ever want to go down that road again. I probably had over 5-7K worth of shop time tracking down the ultra rare parts all over the world. The owner wasted probably another $3-5K buying parts from "the Porsche Experts" that turned out to be either junk cores or the wrong stuff alltogether. This isn't as easy as doing an early Zwitter VW (if THAT can be called easy rolleyes.gif ) since there were probably 1000 VWs made in '53 for every single Porsche. . .

$20-30K may get you an interior and top restoration on a Cabrio Porsche but not much else. That's close to what a shop would charge for a mid 60s VW bug restoration. . .
type47
QUOTE(scotty b @ Nov 14 2009, 07:04 AM) *

But look at what we spend on a mid engined VW av-943.gif

uh-oh, and I'm about to give you my roller to bring back to shape biggrin.gif
Cap'n Krusty
BTW, Nate, the motor in that red car IS NOT from a 1953.

The Cap'n
flipb
Then again, if you're not the DIY-type, just jump on this one for a mere $149,000.

IPB Image
scotty b
125,000.00 !!! WOW !!!! Good luck with that resto bill buddy. This new owner will easily have 180,000.00 in a 130,000.00 car Must have wanted it really badly !
r_towle
84k euros....reasonable considering there are no project cars in europe.
to overpriced for this market...

I dont know chapter and verse...I did once...
I think they only made less than 40 of those cars...a very rare car indeed.
Never brings the value that a speedster brings, yet it is more rare.

Rich
ericread
Damn! I just missed my bid of $130,000.00.

I planned to sell my 914 for $120,000 and pay the rest selling my large collection of string.

I just can't catch a break....

lol3.gif
scotty b
I know a pre-A cab is a little " special " but that rice just blows me away. A few to watch for a comparison of the market. Interesting how many open 356 have appeard on e-bay in the last few weeks...........several more in addition to these on right now

Speedster :

C cab:

A cab :

D :

B : Roadster

WAY high really nice Speedster

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.