Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 914 Front Brake Upgrade
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
MikeSpraggi
Is anyone out there running 944 Turbo front brake calipers on their 914? I have struts with 3.5" spacing, but what else do I need to make these work up front ... rotors, proportioning valve, etc.? Rear calipers will be SC.

Thanks
zig-n-zag
Go to www.vehiclecraft.com. They have kits/adapters for 944T brakes to 911 struts.
ClayPerrine
Actually, the 944 turbo calipers are fairly easy to put on the front of your car. It just takes offset drilling of the caliper mounting holes. A 19mm master cylinder will work fine with them, and the SC rears will be a good match without a proportioning valve.

Use 911 Carrera front rotors with them.

I had a set on my car,but switched to Boxster brakes.
MikeSpraggi
QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ Nov 15 2009, 03:46 AM) *

Actually, the 944 turbo calipers are fairly easy to put on the front of your car. It just takes offset drilling of the caliper mounting holes. A 19mm master cylinder will work fine with them, and the SC rears will be a good match without a proportioning valve.

Even with the 911 3.5" spaced struts I will still need to do some offset drilling of the caliper mounting holes?
rfuerst911sc
QUOTE(MikeSpraggi @ Nov 15 2009, 07:09 AM) *

QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ Nov 15 2009, 03:46 AM) *

Even with the 911 3.5" spaced struts I will still need to do some offset drilling of the caliper mounting holes?

Yes I think the spacing is 3.750 or close to that. The right way to do this is have the holes welded up and then machine the correct spacing. The backyard way is to elongate the holes to fit.
Vysoc
Correct, the spacing on the 944T Caliper is 3.75", Vehiclecraft offers a product designed specifically for this application, it is not cheap.

Vysoc
Gary
QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ Nov 15 2009, 02:46 AM) *

I'm running this setup on mine. Rich Johnson supplied the modified struts as part of a 5-lug upgrade "kit": koni red strut inserts, calipers, carrera discs, drilled rears, etc. Even loaned me the tool to change the rear bearings. Stops great.

Given the wide availability of boxster parts and lack of 944T/C2 caliper rebuild kits, I'd probably go this route today.
iamchappy
I run 944t brakes on all 4, backyard method machining the holes on the fronts, i have never heard of any failure when done this way on race cars. 23mm master cylinder.
Steve
I don't know how much it matters but you will want to swap the bleaders and oil line bar on the calipers. The arrow on the caliper should match the tire rotation. You want the small piston on the top and the big one on the bottom. I had to do the same thing on my Boxster calipers because the 944 turbo and boxster put the front calipers on the back of the brake disk versus the front.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.