Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Another tire discussion
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
ahdoman
Here's the deal; I have a set of 15 x 7 steelies (yes, they've been banded). My fenders are also "pushed". I did some measurements today and with the steelies I can get a 225/XX/R15 in the fender with clearance (I could probably squeeze a 235 in there but it would probably rub in cornering). But, here's where I'm in debate; The performance DOT tire selection in the 225 world is limited. All of the tires in the 225 DOT range are "compromise" tires (i.e. they are considered "sport"). Tires such as the BF Goodrich G-Force for example. There are some really good performance tires in the 205 range. For example; Falken Azenis RT615's or Kuhmo Ecsta XS. Would I be better off with the stickier 205's as opposed to having more rubber on the road with a 225 sport tire? I'm also trying to take into consideration the extra weight of the 225 vs. the 205. The car is not a daily driver and is only used when I need to put a smile back on my face and clear my head. Oh, the car is a 2.7/6 so I have some decent power.
sww914
I vote to go with the Falken 615's, AX cheater tires in the 205's. They don't last too long but they're fun while they last.
ahdoman
Thanks for the input Steve. I'm leaning that way as well I just wanted to see if anybody had any research on this before.
ME733
popcorn[1].gif Here,s how I buy tires....find the brand, size etc....Show the tire store owner your money....then whip out your ...DUROMETER...(hardness checker)...Then proceed to find the softess ..set in what you want. You might be supprised at the DUROMETER readings even in the same brand, size. Having four perfectly matched tires makes a difference....... popcorn[1].gif
ahdoman
Sorry, don't have a Durometer. Besides, after a couple of heat cycles I would assume your softness would change on each tire and your set would no longer be matched.
ME733
popcorn[1].gif ...If they start out new with different durometer readings they tend to maintain the difference up to a point when they are rock hard from (very high )and numerious heat cycles. Street tires used on the street never see the temperatures, that you see on tires used in competition. One more thing...Tire size, (es.)...after your tires are mounted and balanced, inflate them to the pressure you intend to use. Then with a tape measure (I use a cloth tape) check the diamenter of all the tires. When you find the smallest tire(S)....place them in the sun..for 30 minutes, then recheck diamenter. It may take several " seasonings"..before the smallest tire "grows "to the largest in the set. Avoid adding air pressure if possable. You want the growth to be as normal as possable. I have seen as much as 1/2'' difference between similar tires. HOOZIER has different diamenter tires for the roundtrack guys, to aid in setting tire "stagger". ...to consider popcorn[1].gif
J P Stein
You'll want the most tire you can get in back with a 2.7L......trust me. biggrin.gif Kuhmo & Yokohoma make 225 X 15 street tires. I run them on my MR2. THe Yokos are noisy and sux in the rain. The Kuhmos wear gud and are better in the rain.
ahdoman
JP - What model of Kumho or Yoko do you recommend? If I go 225 I'm looking at the Falken ZE-912's.
dlo914
Hankook RS3 (Tread 140 Traction A Temp A) http://www.tirerack.com/tires/Sizes.jsp?ma...del=Ventus+R-S3

i loved the RS2 on my old corolla GTS. these RS3's should be better. At the moment i'm running Federal SS595 tires on my IS300, but they're not available in 225/45/15.
SirAndy
I've been running 225/50x15 Nangkang sport tires on 7" rims for years now on the street. They're great for daily driving and surprisingly sticky if you need it.
They provide plenty of stickage for my 3.6L and last for a long time. I even ran them at the last track day at the Streets of Willows, then drove home 500 miles the same day biggrin.gif

I can look up the exact model later tonight if you want. I get them from Big-O ...
driving.gif Andy
proto31
I'd go with the Toyo Proxes R888, you can get them in 225/45/15, 225/50/15 and 235/50/15. Alberto and I share a set for autocross, these tires are great! 100 tread wear, not great for rain but... Deckman is running the last generation of these tires, I talked to him at the Halloween run and he said he was coming up to 20,000 miles on those tires. driving.gif I believe that they are about $140 a piece.

Dan
SirAndy
QUOTE(proto31 @ Nov 16 2009, 10:02 AM) *

Toyo Proxes R888 ... Deckman is running the last generation of these tires ... he said he was coming up to 20,000 miles on those tires ...

Looks like he's not running them hard enough. biggrin.gif

We run those in the 911 Toyo spec class with PRC and they don't last more than a few weekends.

Great tires, great stick!
chowtime.gif Andy
proto31
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Nov 16 2009, 10:08 AM) *

QUOTE(proto31 @ Nov 16 2009, 10:02 AM) *

Toyo Proxes R888 ... Deckman is running the last generation of these tires ... he said he was coming up to 20,000 miles on those tires ...

Looks like he's not running them hard enough. biggrin.gif

We run those in the 911 Toyo spec class with PRC and they don't last more than a few weekends.

Great tires, great stick!
chowtime.gif Andy

I couldn't imagine that they would last long either, but Deckman reassured me. I saw him driving last weekend, and I couldn't say that he was pushing those tires to the limit... biggrin.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.