Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Babydoll went home today
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
zymurgist
I drove down to NoVa today to take Babydoll home. She sports a new TPS circuit board, sway bar link bushings, fresh round Mahle wheel, taco plate sealed, and a bad vacuum leak found and rectified. She takes a while to warm up, but once warm will run fine. Starts and idles really nice. When I got there, Caroline took Babydoll out for a test drive at a rather higher speed than I drove on the way there. Babydoll took the winding road with aplomb, although I advised caution due to lots of leaves on the road.

Drove my taildragger home... smoked out the garage after having been sitting since August, but ran great all the way. No drama.
MikeSpraggi
QUOTE(zymurgist @ Nov 14 2009, 11:04 PM) *

I drove down to NoVa today to take Babydoll home. She sports a new TPS circuit board, sway bar link bushings, fresh round Mahle wheel, taco plate sealed, and a bad vacuum leak found and rectified. She takes a while to warm up, but once warm will run fine. Starts and idles really nice. When I got there, Caroline took Babydoll out for a test drive at a rather higher speed than I drove on the way there. Babydoll took the winding road with aplomb, although I advised caution due to lots of leaves on the road.

Drove my taildragger home... smoked out the garage after having been sitting since August, but ran great all the way. No drama.

That's good news. Glad to hear Caroline had a sprited drive!
zymurgist
Hopefully she will get out today for a longer drive. We were really burning daylight by the time I got there, so we just went up and down Hampton Road (if you know it, it's a good 914 road). I took the road MUCH slower in the 911 when leaving... I'm not as familiar with the road as she is, and I haven't driven the 911 since August.
type47
So, how did Caroline like driving the 911 shades.gif ? biggrin.gif
zymurgist
QUOTE(type47 @ Nov 15 2009, 11:35 AM) *

So, how did Caroline like driving the 911 shades.gif ? biggrin.gif

She didn't drive it. Doug (the previous owner) told her over the years that it was too powerful and she would kill herself in a fiery crash if she tried to drive it. So the car sat there since August, basically untouched.
VaccaRabite
Thats no fun! Is the car that powerful, or is it just bthe snap oversteer thing?
type47
QUOTE(zymurgist @ Nov 15 2009, 03:15 PM) *

She didn't drive it. Doug (the previous owner) told her over the years that it was too powerful and she would kill herself in a fiery crash if she tried to drive it.

More questionable output from Doug... or maybe Caroline just TOLD you she didn't drive it. I thought I remembered seeing a 911 of the same color at the last Potomac autocross rolleyes.gif
zymurgist
QUOTE(Vacca Rabite @ Nov 15 2009, 06:48 PM) *

Thats no fun! Is the car that powerful, or is it just bthe snap oversteer thing?

Probably a little of both. Also, the clutch doesn't release fully so you have to drop into 2nd to go into 1st if you're sitting at a traffic light in neutral (otherwise it crunches and we don't like that). Probably a clutch cable issue but I haven't had time to troubleshoot it lately.

Actually, I don't even drive it hard myself these days. The back tires are a little bit too wide... may want to see about putting 50 series tires on the wheels instead of the 60s that are there now. The wheels came with good rubber (bought the pair at Carlisle) and the main goal was to put them on the back while I refinish the front wheels 2 at a time... a project which has yet to begin. wink.gif
zymurgist
QUOTE(type47 @ Nov 16 2009, 08:00 AM) *

QUOTE(zymurgist @ Nov 15 2009, 03:15 PM) *

She didn't drive it. Doug (the previous owner) told her over the years that it was too powerful and she would kill herself in a fiery crash if she tried to drive it.

More questionable output from Doug... or maybe Caroline just TOLD you she didn't drive it. I thought I remembered seeing a 911 of the same color at the last Potomac autocross rolleyes.gif

lol-2.gif Now I know you're making this up! I don't think my car will pass tech inspection. wink.gif
flipb
Ken,

Was Babydoll paying a visit to Taylor Chapman? He's going to help out with my teener in the next few weeks - already brought it by his shop twice. On one of my visits, there was a gorgeous green early 914 there, and I think he said that the owner lived in MD... is that Babydoll?

And quit giving away my secret roads! dry.gif

I live in West Springfield (not far from GAG) and my usual one-hour jaunt includes Hampton, Henderson, and occasionally going out to/past Clifton. I did a much abbreviated version yesterday around 4pm.

Flip
ws91420
Nope, Ken is Babydoll's wrench. Plus Babydoll is a white 914.
zymurgist
QUOTE(flipb @ Nov 16 2009, 08:45 AM) *

Sorry dude. Babydoll lives off of Hampton.

Those are some nice 914 roads, although right now there are so many leaves, I would be extra cautious.
flipb
QUOTE(zymurgist @ Nov 16 2009, 10:46 AM) *

Sorry dude. Babydoll lives off of Hampton.

Those are some nice 914 roads, although right now there are so many leaves, I would be extra cautious.

I, ahem, explored the limits of adhesion a couple weeks ago when Henderson was still drying out from several days of rain. Wet road plus wet leaves. Almost lost it on one bend, fortunately no oncoming traffic at that moment.

I've been wondering if there were any other 914s in my part of southern Fairfax. Will have to keep an eye out for Babydoll now.
zymurgist

Was Babydoll paying a visit to Taylor Chapman? He's going to help out with my teener in the next few weeks - already brought it by his shop twice. On one of my visits, there was a gorgeous green early 914 there, and I think he said that the owner lived in MD...

MikeSpraggi has a green "real" /6. I'm pretty sure he lives in Md. I wonder if that's the one you saw.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.