Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: What's the trick?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Soul
Okay,

for those who don't know, I bought a '71 914 1.7 from the original owner. It runs great but I am in the process of getting it up to date.

To make a long story longer, I am replacing the soft lines. What it the trick to getting to the soft line as it comes down from the hardline that comes from the splitter?

I got the side off that goes to the hard line that fits up to the wheel. I just cannot see, fit a wrench in, or turn anything in the space provided to get that collapsed rubber line off. headbang.gif

I searched with no success. Any help you can give would be MUCH appreciated.
sean_v8_914
crows foot AKA brake line wrench
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/disp...temnumber=47928
Soul
QUOTE(sean_v8_914 @ Nov 15 2009, 12:03 PM) *

Thanks Sean!

Based on your signature, we would be best friends if you lived in LA beerchug.gif . You "like" working on the things I hate working on (Fuel injection, electrical)
Eric_Shea
The trick is to cut the rubber hose off at the union. Use a deep well 14mm (if I recall) socket to spin it off from below. Use the flare wrench on the 11mm hard line fitting to hold it in place.

One of the worst jobs on a 914.
Drop the motor and this job is soooo much easier....ask me how I know!

Go Eric's route and stay after it. You are doing the easy part of this job now. Once it's loose there is the dreaded CLIP. There is no easy way to get at those clips with the motor in the car. I was able to wiggle the line around enough to finally get mine loose with my gloved fingers. Other's have found creative way's to use pliers and you might be able to get to it between tin and engine rubber.

Good Luck
KP
Eric_Shea
Clip - Screwdriver through the access hole up top on the engine shelf. Tap at it to loosen. Then, small Vise-Grips on the lip below. Clamp tight and tap off with a hammer.
SLITS
Busted, bloody and bruised knuckles ......
Soul
....it gets worse.

I went to buy a set of crowsfoot wrenches. The set I bought had a 10,12,13,14,15, and 17 mm wrenches.

The guy that designed this was one mean, evil SOB.

I already considered dropping that engine....

I will gt back at it tomorrow.
Gint
It's a b1tch no matter what you use. I wear gloves. And I've gotten the clips out with vise grips.
tat2dphreak
it's been a while, but I did the same thing Eric suggested. I used a 1/2" breaker bar that's about 3' long smile.gif

the brakes are some of the most frustrating jobs I've done on the car. but also one of the most rewarding.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.