Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: which HE to head gasket?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Jerry75914
Hello all!

While I'm pulling out my tranny for a Dr. Evil's clinic next month, I'm going to try to track down an exhaust lead as well. I'm going to pull my heat exchanges and give 'em the file dress down as a start and look for gaping holes of course.

My question is which copper gaskets do I need to use? I have a 1.8, but the heat exhangers are from a 2.0. Do I match the engine, or the heat exchanger? confused24.gif

Thanks!
type47
No different size copper gaskets that I know of, one size only for all HE-> head.
Jerry75914
that sure would make life easier! For some reason though, PP lists two different ones based on engine...
type47
... go with the info from the vendor, not my old memory.. biggrin.gif
tradisrad
Jerry, have you been to High Performance House? Rich will be able to answer your question and provide you with the right part. He likes cash. I do think there are two sizes of gaskets, but the difference is the i.d. not o.d (I could be wrong).. Also heat your copper gaskets until they are red hot (on the stove works well) then let them cool slowly before you install them. This will soften the copper and give you a better seal.
Also check out Global Metric in Belmont for new nuts and bolts. They will have the copper nuts you will need to reattach the HEs (so will HPH) and any other nuts or bolts you may need.
Do you have SS HEs?
Jerry75914
Hi Rob,

No, no SSE, I wish! It was HP House that put them on for me in the first place, and I left with what I though was a cool occasional pop on decel, that has steadily gotten worse over time.

I just got the muffler and j-tubes off, no obvious soot stains anywhere. If I had a leak at the head, should I see some soot there?
Cap'n Krusty
If you had a leak at the head/HE connection, you would hear it ALL the time, and you could see it by the carbon deposits around the leaking gasket. BTW, the nuts described in an earlier replu are NOT copper, they're steel and have a deformed section to lock them in place. The factory DID NOT use those (or any other) locking nuts. I don't recommend them.

The Cap'n
Jerry75914
thanks Capn...I'd have to agree on the deformed self locking nuts...I have pulled one HE...two bolts broke right at the head and two unscrewed at the engine end, so the whole stud came off. Of course, not a speck of carbon on the HE when it saw the light of day.

other side is still on...one freakin' nut that I can't get to as my socket are too thick-walled, but two did come out with the stud attached, one actually came off as god intended. Gee, this job just got even bigger... headbang.gif
tradisrad
So what do I have here? These are what HPH sells me for the exhaust nuts.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.