Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Distributor help
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
weird_looking_cactus
Well I had my car running pretty good on 2 pistions it would idle good and when I pressed on the gas it go up just slow. Then I decied to fix the other 2 pistions now its running on all four smile.gif. But I really mess around with the distrubutor by turning the whole thing and the distrubutor moves really easy now and I can't seem to get it into that sweet spot again so it will stay at a idle. I can get it to start up but then it just dies or will stay at a idle super low idle for about 10 seconds. So how do I make the distributor tight and how do I find the right spot for it to stay running. Thanks
lapuwali
First, it's a matter of about 10 crank degrees for the idle sweet spot, which is only 5 distributor degrees. Very little distributor rotation is required to move it out of that range. As for getting it spot on, you need to get a timing light and start using the marks on the fan. The full procedure is detailed in a number of places, including the Pelican Parts tech articles. If you're still running points, you also need to set the points gap (aka setting dwell), and make sure the points are in good shape.
Dave_Darling
To start with, you set the "static timing".

Crank the engine over so that it is on TDC on the #1 cylinder. You'll see the TDC mark on the fan, and/or feel it and/or see it in a mirror in the top notch on the transmission bellhousing. Then check the rocker arms to see that both of the rockers for cylinder #1 (left-rear) are slightly loose; that means you're on TDC#1 and not TDC#3. The rotor should also be pointing toward the left-front of the car.

Take a spare spark plug and plug the #1 wire into it. Tape the plug so that the threaded part and/or the outer electrode are grounded (the fan shroud works for this), but so you can still see the gap.

Turn the key to "on", but not to "start". Go back to the engine bay and twist the distributor around until the spark plug sparks. Go back and forth until you have the distributor right at the point where the plug sparks, not to one side or the other. Turn off the key, then tighten the clamp nut on the distributor. That should let the car run and idle decently, though possibly not as well as it could.

Then plug the #1 plug wire back into the #1 spark plug, remove your spare taped-down plug from the fan shroud, and set up your timing light and set the timing.

All of the above may be covered in the Pelican article on the subject.

Note that if you have a Pertronix, you can easily fry it by leaving the ignition on for more than 30 seconds without the engine running. If you have one of those, I'm not sure what you do, except possibly having an assistant turn the key on and off again...

--DD
weird_looking_cactus
I can't seem to get a spark to come out of the spark plug I have it at top dead center I have the key on. I have the plug on the fan housing. Am I suppose to crank the engine everytime I move the distributor cause I have tryed that to but still cannot get a spark. Some how I got the engine started again once I got the distributor tight but I move it and can't find that spot again. This is so frustrating. If someone who knows what there doing and wants to come to southern Utah and help me that would be great. smile.gif Do I need a new distributor. What about a electronic igintion is that better then a distributor or have anything to do with a distributor. Thanks
lapuwali
First, if you don't have one, buy a Haynes manual. It will provide you with a LOT of info a lot faster then asking questions on this board will. There are also some tech articles on Pelican's site that cover ignition timing.

Before you set static timing, make sure the points gap is correct. Haynes will have the correct figure. You can set the static timing with the key off with points. There are several ways to do this. One that works for me:

1. set the engine at TDC on cylinder 1 on the compression stroke (both valves closed).
2. make sure the rotor is pointing roughly where the plug wire for cylinder 1 should be. Rotate the dizzy body until it is.
3. if the points are open, rotate the body anti-clockwise until they're closed.
4. insert a thin strip of paper between the points, pointing up, not touching the dizzy body
5. slowly rotate the body clockwise until the paper falls (points just opened). Thats the point where the plug fires.

Your timing is now set to fire at TDC. This is too retarded, but the engine should at least start and continue to run. Once it's running, slowly rotate the dizzy body anti-clockwise (this advances the ignition) until the idle stops speeding up. This shouldn't require more than 3-5 distributor degrees, a very small amount. If the engine won't start with the timing set at TDC, try advancing the ignition a tiny amount, and repeat until the engine fires, or you've moved the distributor more than 10 degrees. If you have to move it this far, you've done something wrong, or there's some other problem.

Once the engine will idle on its own, set the timing correctly with a timing light.

If you have no idea how old the points and condensor are, replace them. They're cheap and easy to replace. If you can't get the car to start and run, replace them and try again. If you can't get a spark at all using Dave's test, these parts or your coil are bad. Coils are also fairly cheap and easy to replace (and hard to test on their own).
weird_looking_cactus
I have new points and new condenser. Im now Im getting spark because I can take the number one spark plug out and touch the threds to ground and get a spark when cranking the engine. Before I wasen't getting any spark so now Im improving.
Qarl
Cactus dude...

You're making a lot of progress. THink about how much you NOW now about the car vs. 1 month ago when you started posting your questions!

smilie_pokal.gif

Keep chugging!
weird_looking_cactus
Well I just got the car started again smilie_pokal.gif victory is mine!!!! If I keep pouring a little bit of gas into the throttle body the car will stay going. If I push on the gas and keep it at like 5000 rmp then it sounds like it going to stay then but then will just drop. So Im guessing this is because the timing is way off. Right? I have some spare time right now to look up on how to time it cause my starter is to hot and isn't going to crank over the engine tell it cools down.
Dave_Darling
If it will stay going if you put gas into the intake, then the main problem is not the timing. It's the gas--there ain't enough of it going in.

--DD
cgnj
Got a timing light? Got a friend who's dad has a timing light? Some uncool kid in school who has access to a timing light? Make him you're best bud. YOU NEED THIS! Before you make things worse. Get it set up right then figure out what else is wrong.

Carlos
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.