Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Has this been repaired?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Cire
This looks like this area has been reenforced but its a nice job (I think) so its hard to tell. Let me know what you think.

Eric

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

scotty b
O.E. Factory
r_towle
The 356 has some worse factory stuff.

Ever see an old Ferarri under the rear fender...now that is art...10 pieces all dented and beat up to make an innter fender.

rich
charliew
The tubes were brazed in because the tubing is thinwall. A mig would have blown into the tubing and made the inside rough and also more brittle.
Cire
QUOTE(charliew @ Nov 15 2009, 05:40 PM) *

The tubes were brazed in because the tubing is thinwall.

Thanks for all the info.

I ask this question because I hear a lot about clutch tubes coming loose etc. The car is 100% apart and I am trying to decide if I need to open the tunnel to fix this before putting the car back together. Its a AX car so it wont get an expensive paint job but I hate hurting paint if I can avoid it.

Whats the easy way to tell if that tunnel is EVEN SLIGHTLY loose?

Thanks all.

Eric
Cap'n Krusty
I suggest you install a large thick fender washer over the clutch tube. Notch it as necessary for clearance. Weld it to the firewall, braze it to the tube.

The Cap'n
Cire
QUOTE(Cap'n Krusty @ Nov 15 2009, 06:19 PM) *

I suggest you install a large thick fender washer over the clutch tube. Notch it as necessary for clearance. Weld it to the firewall, braze it to the tube.

The Cap'n

Cap'n,

you got any pictures of what you are talking about? Do you weld it in or screw it in? Do you connect it to the tube or is it just on the rear fire wall area?

Thanks for the great suggestion. My car is 100% apart... What else should I do while I am there? = ) Help me Cap'n.

Eric
SirAndy
You sandblasted your shift bushing ... shades.gif

Btw. i *HATE* sandblasting.
You'll have sand coming out of the cracks for years. No way to keep your car clean.

Here's a pic of what i found 3 years after the sandblasting when installing oil lines for a front oil cooler: icon8.gif

IPB Image
agentblr
Those clutch tubes are pretty darn thick IMO. I would grind off the brazing,use the washer method and mig weld it up.
ChrisFoley
QUOTE(agentblr @ Nov 16 2009, 03:05 PM) *

Those clutch tubes are pretty darn thick IMO. I would grind off the brazing,use the washer method and mig weld it up.

No. The end of the clutch cable is a snug fit going in. Just a little snot inside will cause problems.
The Cap'n has the right idea.
However, you also need to verify that the clutch tube is secure up front.
They usually only fail at the firewall after the front attachments come loose.
Rand
I wouldn't mig it unless I had a piece of copper tubing to slide inside that fit snug against the wall to prevent melt-through. Could cut a slot in it to get over cable and make sure the slot is rotated opposite where you weld.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.