Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: $2.00 fix to those garage guys that dont use the right jack point
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Cire
I went to Harbor Freight today and while I was pulling up, right next door at the tire shop was a 914 getting new tires. So I parked and went and looked at the car. The car was hot. It was a 73 with a 2.0 and was fairly mint from the looks of things. Even under the car looked good. The 2nd thing I noticed was where the garage had the car jacked up at... This little triangles in the rear. These were bending from either this lift or a previous lift. I pointed it out to the guy and he shrugged and kept taking off the wheels. This made me think about my own cars. I went home and looked and sure enough both 914 had bent triangles (what are these called?). I started thinking about the car and how to stop the people from using these points to jack up the car. I figured putting something in the hole would be one approach, but they wouldn't see it or even know what they were looking at unless its was sticking far enough to be ripped off by the first little rock I hit. Then I started thinking about making it a little stronger. I bent it straight, scraped out some of the white sealer put on by the factory and put a 5/8 in bolt 1.5 inches long. I tightened it down and right off the bat it was MUCH stiffer and supported. My thought is that this plugs the hole, makes it stronger and solves the problem... for the most part. It really has no upward support. I dug around the garage, found a 1 inch bar, cut 2 pieces off, bent it right, drilled some holes and then put it on top of the washer so it was out of the little hole in the triangle... = ) This is much stronger.

So we need a Tangerine, Engman, Pelican, Atlanta, or some company to build these that are a little cleaner and in one package deal. = )

Anyway, just sharing my stuff. If there is already a package out there and my 6th grade attempt at offering up a solution has fallen short please don't tell me. = )

Eric

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

charliew
A gusset would be much stronger and still leave the hole for drainage. Most newer cars just use the pinchweld on the bottom of the long. Some are even notched to designate the balance point.
Cap'n Krusty
I've always used the little donuts underneath. They're just sitting there, begging for a jack ................

The Cap'n
charliew
The donuts are too obvious. Tire shops can really mess up the bottom of a car, thats why they don't want you watching. Discount tire opened the tail gate on my k10 blazer into a floorjack handle and then just let it rub around on the paint for awhile. On my fieros and the 914 I just take the wheels and tires in for replacement and they still scratch the wheels more than I like.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.