Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Four Cyl induction poll
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2
flipb
Lay it out there. What are you running? Any plans to change?

(If you have multiple teeners, answer about the 4-cyl that comes closest to being a daily driver. If your teener's on jackstands, answer about how it was and how it will be when you get it running again.)
VaccaRabite
I currently ave dual IDF 44s, and I am going to swap to dual IDF 40s.

Zach
underthetire
I'm using megasquirt. That will go with my rotary conversion if I ever do it.
tradisrad
Factory FI on a 2056 with Raby 9550 cam. MPS was tuned to match the cam. Runs great, drove it to work today!
tat2dphreak
dual weber 40s. but one day when I'm rich and smart I'll do a sweet aftermarket FI with crank-fire distributor-less ignition smile.gif
gopack
I have dual Dellorto 36s. I have followed some sweet builds using ITBs and aftermarket fuel injection, and i lust after them. Maybe someday, AFTER i get the car on the road for a year or two, i will go down that road!
flipb
I love these polls. Always some surprises. In the 914 ownership poll, I was surprised that having only one 914 puts me in the minority! On this poll, I was expecting to see at least a few folks considering a switch back to FI.

As for me... some PO put a Weber Progressive on it. I'm waiting for Raby's new cable linkage to come out and will hopefully buy a dual 40mm HPMX set from his shop.
tat2dphreak
QUOTE(flipb @ Nov 16 2009, 12:58 PM) *

I love these polls. Always some surprises. In the 914 ownership poll, I was surprised that having only one 914 puts me in the minority! On this poll, I was expecting to see at least a few folks considering a switch back to FI.

As for me... some PO put a Weber Progressive on it. I'm waiting for Raby's new cable linkage to come out and will hopefully buy a dual 40mm HPMX set from his shop.

if my engine was stock it would be stock FI... the stock FI is the BEST thing for a STOCK engine. the stock FI sucks for a non-stock engine.
johnnie5
Dual 40 Webers on a McMark 2056 with a Mallory and an MSD. Curious to see Jake's linkage as well. Running CB hexbar, hasn't failed so far....

Car is running pretty darn good, no plans to change... unless I win the lottery!
zymurgist
Babydoll has stock D-Jet. Motor has Euro P&Cs but is otherwise stock. I plan to keep it that way (with the concurrence of her owner).
Mark Henry
SDS crank fire FI and I have a huge 2.7/4 almost ready, but all plans have changed and the big 4 is moving over to the bug and the teen is getting a /6.
JmuRiz
QUOTE(tat2dphreak @ Nov 16 2009, 10:37 AM) *

dual weber 40s. but one day when I'm rich and smart I'll do a sweet aftermarket FI with crank-fire distributor-less ignition smile.gif

beer.gif What he said
johnnie5
QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Nov 16 2009, 11:14 AM) *

the big 4 is moving over and the teen is getting a /6.

drooley.gif C'mon lotto!
blitZ
QUOTE(tradisrad @ Nov 16 2009, 01:20 PM) *

Factory FI on a 2056 with Raby 9550 cam. MPS was tuned to match the cam. Runs great, drove it to work today!

Same here, however, I would like to switch to an aftermarket setup eventually. The cars I have seen with modern efi start and run so much smoother.
tradisrad
QUOTE(blitZ @ Nov 16 2009, 01:47 PM) *

Same here, however, I would like to switch to an aftermarket setup eventually. The cars I have seen with modern efi start and run so much smoother.

Is it possbile to gain more power out of our setup using aftermarket FI? What sort of gain coulsd be expected. Mine runs good, but I think the induction is the limiting factor?
fiid
There's no option for "planning to add an intercooler". biggrin.gif
underthetire
QUOTE(tradisrad @ Nov 16 2009, 01:54 PM) *

Is it possbile to gain more power out of our setup using aftermarket FI? What sort of gain coulsd be expected. Mine runs good, but I think the induction is the limiting factor?

Bigger throttle bodies, idle circuit control, timing advance curves, new style injectors. Just depends on how far you want to go. Could be a BIG increase, could be minimal.
r_towle
Stock FI switching to Dual webers...just cause they sound so cool.
Different motor goes with the carbs so dont start whining...I know, I know, and I factored that in.
Rich
jsayre914
im runnin stock d-jet on my 2.0 and love it

i got stock l-jet on my 1.8 love it too

but i can only fit one engine at a time in there confused24.gif
biggrin.gif
Shade Tree
I've decided to put the webers on my Samurai so the 914 is going to stay with the dual Dellorto DRLA 40's
john grier
Both of my 914's are stock with fi
One is a 2.0 the other is a 1.7
I like the fi as oposed to carbs.
My cars run fine.
Yeah I have had and driven 914's with carbs and
I did not like them, To me they were to much trouble.
I have enough power as it is.
After all I am not raceing.
If I got a Raby, I would still want fi
If I put a six in it, it would be a 3.0 sc witch is a mfi.
But I have enough fun with my stock engines.
Just my 2cents worth, John
ottox914
Dual TWM ITB's (from Jake, when they were better than they are today), SDS crankfire EFI, turbo, intercooler. Working on building a better T-IV with Jake, then I'll be back hunting in SSM autocross.
craig downs
Dual 45 Dells feeding a 2270 from a Jake Raby engine kit. I wouldn't change a thing as I'm very happy with this engine and the carbs.

Click to view attachment
Randal

I'm looking forward to having my little 4 out there racing again. It will be nice to have 100% of the motor available.
al weidman
I've had two 914's, a '73 2.0 silver with the works (I sold them new) and a nice clean '75. My '73 became unreliable about 1979 so I put on 40mm webers, the car still has them and runs great. I sold it to a friend in 1989 and he still has it. The '75 let me down on the way home. Stopped on me four more times after replacing parts one at a time, but not the right part. Not smart enough to figure out what the problem was. I put an electronic ignition and a pair of 40mm Del Ortos on and now I will drive anywhere. The stock FI ran good, it just wouldn't stay running. Al. driving.gif
ME733
popcorn[1].gif ....Running 44 webers....that are modified a little.....later next year..I will try some modified solex 40-p 11,s., which I expect will have a little smoother transition from IDLE to ...higher RPM,s....... popcorn[1].gif
benalishhero
I've been running D-jet on my '74 since april and loving it.
forzamotorsport9
my good 914 is such low mileage im keeping her all stock...BUT the 914 shell that doesn't have an engine might find a chevy 350 or an EJ20 from a 2.5 RS impreza
Dominic
QUOTE(tradisrad @ Nov 16 2009, 02:54 PM) *

The short answer is Yes, you would be able to fine Tune more power out of the stock engine with modern programmable E.F.I., but you will most likely be limited with the stock cam.
Joe Ricard
44 IDF's with 40mm vents. and several other hop up tricks.
Rav914
My favorite engine is the 1911 on my '70. I'm running dual 40IDF's (real Italian), Raby 9550 cam, and a Mallory Unilite. I plan on using Jake's cable system once it becomes available and switching to a Triad muffler.

I love the sound of the carbs. If I could make them louder I would. I'm contimplating a GT engine lid so more sound comes from the engine compartment.
hedfurst
dual Dellorto 45s
Shade Tree
QUOTE(Rav914 @ Nov 19 2009, 08:56 AM) *

My favorite engine is the 1911 on my '70. I'm running dual 40IDF's (real Italian), Raby 9550 cam, and a Mallory Unilite. I plan on using Jake's cable system once it becomes available and switching to a Triad muffler.

I love the sound of the carbs. If I could make them louder I would. I'm contimplating a GT engine lid so more sound comes from the engine compartment.

Or, put on the 6 inch velocity stacks with 9 inch filters. You'll have to cut holes in the engine grill. THAT will be loud.
On a side note, I just ordered the Dellorto update kits today with the spray bars and jet doctors....can't wait to get 'em.
SGB
Excellent poll. Responses let us see a good picture of the 914 populace out there. smile.gif
flipb
It's been even more interesting than I expected.

I wonder how representative it is of the remaining 914 fleet...

(And for what it's worth, the counter includes each response... since there are two questions, it shows double the number of responders.)
nein14
2.0/4cyl with CIS injection and a K26 Turbo
blitZ
Interesting to see that almost half are still using the factory FI.
Gint
I chose dual carbs and plan to go to aftermarket FI. Pprovided of course that the funky little knock the motor has developed between 2.8 and 3.8k doesn't window the case. laugh.gif

The poll doesn't give you all the detail though.

For instance, my car has dual carbs on it because I bought it with a single carb. That had to go and I had a couple of complete sets of 40IDFs, manifolds and linkage. If it had the factory FI on it when purchased, it would still be on there today. But since it didn't come with factory induction and it's a 2056 on a 1.8 case and heads, I want to go aftermarket FI. If it was a 2056 on 2.0 heads I'd probably just slap a factory D-Jet on it and go.
buhs914
Yeah a PO took off the FI on my 1.7 and put on a Weber Progressive... If i had the money i would probably get FI again..
raw1298
Will be running weber 40's when installed. smile.gif
patrick3000
QUOTE(ME733 @ Nov 17 2009, 07:57 AM) *

popcorn[1].gif ....Running 44 webers....that are modified a little.....later next year..I will try some modified solex 40-p 11,s., which I expect will have a little smoother transition from IDLE to ...higher RPM,s....... popcorn[1].gif

What manifold will you use with the Solex P11's?

Thanks

Almost forgot I'm running Weber 44's with the 2.4-4 but already thinking about the next engine
Pat Garvey
I'll stick with my stock FI. Regardless of the negatives proposed by others, mine has NEVER let me down, or even burped, in 37 years of ownership.

Don't fix what isn't broken, if you just want to drive it.
Pat
ME733
QUOTE(patrick3000 @ Nov 29 2009, 09:24 PM) *

QUOTE(ME733 @ Nov 17 2009, 07:57 AM) *

What manifold will you use with the Solex P11's?

Thanks

Almost forgot I'm running Weber 44's with the 2.4-4 but already thinking about the next engine

........ popcorn[1].gif ...........what manifolds.?..for the solex 40p11...well I have two types, the first is just your ordinary weber /kit manafold...with new mounting stud holes drilled and tapped . The other is a set of F/super vee intake manafolds... which I acquired many years ago from V/W, s racing department. rolleyes.gif popcorn[1].gif
JmuRiz
QUOTE(craig downs @ Nov 16 2009, 08:58 PM) *

Dual 45 Dells feeding a 2270 from a Jake Raby engine kit. I wouldn't change a thing as I'm very happy with this engine and the carbs.

Click to view attachment

Sweet motor/carbs/DTM kit!!! How does it feel in the 914? Can you compare it to anything else. I had some 45 Dels and sold them to someone Jake knows in Australia...since he could use them and I am holding out for EFI once I do a build.

Is the 2270 all the motor you need, or do you wish for more?
Trying to get everything straight in my head so I can budget.
type47
QUOTE(JmuRiz @ Dec 29 2009, 12:18 PM) *

... once I do a build.

You need to get a spare motor to build up the way you like it as you'll never wear out the motor you have rolleyes.gif (j/k biggrin.gif ). It's like my white car. I've had it for like 7 years and only put 6k mi on it. At that rate, it'll outlive me....
JmuRiz
Good point, you've put more on yours in 7 years than I have. At least my garage is finally done so I can hope to actually drive the cars now (once I clean out the carbs and rebuild the window regulators and door handles)
type2man
I have triple weber 40's in my 914/6 and I just changed out my 40 webers for 40 dells on my 1974 2.0. Gotta love that Dellorto Whistle!!
SCV
I'm running stock L-Jet in my 75' 1.8. It has required a bit of attention due to years of neglect by the previous owner(s) dry.gif , but I'm happy with the performance of the stock FI when it is working correctly.

The plan is to keep the stock FI working while I save for an upgraded engine. The new engine will be designed to run carbs, since I have a preference for them.

flipb
Thought I'd give this a icon_bump.gif to see if new members want to add their responses.

I thought this turned out to be an interesting "state of the fleet" exercise.

And FWIW, I originally answered Single Carb... happy to say I've now moved to dual 40's.

dirk9141973
piratenanner.gif Happy with duel 40 !! next step is another car 912 1976 or 911 ?? I see no reason to put more $ in car with limited resale value
Why put $ 20,000 in one car when I could have 2 ?? driving-girl.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.