Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: A question about lug nuts
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
ahdoman
Is it OK to use aluminum lug nuts on a steel wheel?
underthetire
I'd never use aluminum on a street car ever. Ball seat or taper seat?
pcar916
I've always used steel nuts on aluminum wheels because you can't race with the aluminum ones and the studs are too long on one set of wheels because of the offset. Never had a problem with corrosion, but I always lightly grease the tapered shoulders. For that matter, the studs are steel anyway, into an aluminum hub in the front.

The question is, what's the taper angle of your wheels and how much of the shoulder will be in contact with them? It has to match the lug nut shoulder angle and if the nuts are aluminum, make sure you have lots of contact across the faces.

Some steel wheels have really skinny shoulders for the nuts to contact. If yours are those I'd consider the steel nuts regardless.

Good luck
jcd914
I would not use aluminum lug nuts on steel wheels. I might consider it if the wheel and nut had large contact surfaces that matched each other.

Porsche has been using aluminum lug nuts on aluminum wheels on street cars for a few decades now. I think they started with 911's in 1964 but maybe some 356's had them. They had a service bulletin instructing the use of anti seize on the lug nuts because there were too many nuts sticking to the wheel, making removing them quite difficult. Clean bare aluminum nut hammered in place with an impact gun tended to weld them selves to the wheels.

Jim
ME733
popcorn[1].gif Porsche also made TITANIUM lug nuts. In my opinion,... that for steel wheels you use STEEL lug NUTS, anti sieze the studs or bolt threads..... Obviously STEEL lug nuts are stronger. obviously STEEL lug nuts will not expand or contract as much as titanium or aluminum. Obviously STEEL lug nuts will take hammering with an impact wrench much better....and NO LUG NUTS ...furnished as O.E.M. parts for the 914 were titanium or aluminum..Obviously the 914 (excpt 914-6 ) HAS ONLY FOUR BOLTS to attach the wheels ..Use STEEL LUG NUTS.., or STEEL BOLTS. For other Porsche cars aluminium lug nuts may have been furnished, with an ALUMINIUM wheels whereby the aluminum wheel and nut might expand and contract together.(this is an assumption on my part)... On the 356 porsche all O.E.M. lug nuts were STEEL.....for your consideration.
SLITS
I am assuming this is on the /6 conversion. Use the open ended steel lug nuts with steel wheels.
IronHillRestorations
Steel on steel and aluminum on aluminum, except on track cars like Marty said.
6freak
QUOTE(ahdoman @ Nov 17 2009, 01:53 PM) *

Is it OK to use aluminum lug nuts on a steel wheel?

no! vs versa yes
andys
Steve,

Steel on steel. BTW, these guys have everything......
https://www.ezaccessory.com/
Does your wheel require 60 degree cone? Here's the link:
http://www.ezaccessory.com/Open_End_Acorn_...hort_p/1509.htm

Andys
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.