Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Original Light Ivory Color & Mix?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > Originality and History
Tom_T
Okay, so I want to take my early-73 914-2.0 (marketed in USA as a "914S" then) back to the original OE Light Ivory color, which I can still see under the floor mats, etc. idea.gif

The problem is, I'm seeing quite a range of this innocuous color on various 914s & 911s, ranging from a bright white to a more mellow off-white befitting the "light ivory" name, and I'm seeing color chart sample chips in that same range! blink.gif

Then to compound that, the 73MY documents which I've found online call the color L80E in some places & 1110 in others, while my COA calls it only 11. Of course they also call my #31 Beige upholstery "black" - contrary to those documents' interior codes & even their own other COAs where black is #11! headbang.gif

So does anybody have the proper L80E/1110/11 "Light Ivory" paint tint/color mix formula for a 1973 MY 914?? confused24.gif

Here are a few examples from my research to illustrate my dilemma....

L80e chip from Wolfsburg West on 73 VW Conertible Bug:
Click to view attachment

72 914 Dealer Color Samples:
Click to view attachment

71 PPG VW Paint Color Chart with L80E:
Click to view attachment

74 914 Dealer Color Samples:
Click to view attachment

72 Porsche Dealer Color Codes - Paint & Interior:
Click to view attachment

...continued....
Tom_T
...continued....

68 Porsche Glasurit Color Chart - References "light Ivory" Variations including #11:
Click to view attachment

Pg. 2 of above with another "Light Ivory", color & mix has been pasted over (correction?):
Click to view attachment

Detail from 911 Colors web page in German (posted elsewhere at 914world), which appears to be from Glasurit pgs. above:
Click to view attachment

Example of a 914 with same L80E & Beige Interior as mine:
Click to view attachment

Example of "brighter whiter" Light Ivory 914:
Click to view attachment

Example of "yellowish" or "beige" "warm-undertone" Light Ivory 914:
Click to view attachment

Ditto above "warmer" Light Ivory on a 73 911:
Click to view attachment

72 911 with "brighter white" Light Ivory:
Click to view attachment

Another 76 914 with "whiter" Light Ivory & Beige Interior:
Click to view attachment

...continued....

Tom_T
...continued....

...and now for what I can see in non-repainted areas of my early-73 914-2.0/"914S"....

Original OE L80E/1110/11 Light Ivory Paint on my 914 at Rollbar Bottom under Pad at Targa Top latch cut-out:
Click to view attachment

Original OE L80E/1110/11 Light Ivory Paint on my 914 at Floorpa under Passesnger Floor Mat/Rug:
Click to view attachment

...so now, who knows what is which or whatever???? confused24.gif

popcorn[1].gif
Gustl
L80E is the correct colour code for a 914-4 and late 914-6 (from about 9141430396 and later)

1110 (or only 11) is correct for early 914-6

the colour is the same, but VW and Porsche used different codes

in some later colour brochures they used B8V9 - but this code never occured on the Karman tag, only in brochures and repair shop listings

the different appearance might be a result of different cameras and different light
all of the above codes are exactly the same

hope that helps

beerchug.gif Gustl
Tom_T
QUOTE(Gustl @ Nov 17 2009, 09:28 PM) *

L80E is the correct colour code for a 914-4 and late 914-6 (from about 9141430396 and later)

1110 (or only 11) is correct for early 914-6

the colour is the same, but VW and Porsche used different codes

in some later colour brochures they used B8V9 - but this code never occured on the Karman tag, only in brochures and repair shop listings

the different appearance might be a result of different cameras and different light
all of the above codes are exactly the same

hope that helps

beerchug.gif Gustl

Thanx for confirming that they're all the same color by different codes, as I'd suspected.

However, there are the slight differences as shown in those later photos, because I've seen a buddy's 73 911S next to a 74 914-2L - both had Light Ivory, but in the very same lighting side by side - the 911 looked more of a light creme color as in those pix, while the 914's was whiter.....if that makes sense.

Since I don't read/speak German, maybe you could translate what they're saying about the variances in the Light Ivory between the POR11 & POR6804, POR6808 & KO109 in the two samples below? They also appear to show two color/tint mixes at the left & right, as well perhaps?

Light Ivory at the 2nd from top sample:
Click to view attachment

Light Ivory at the bottom sample:
Click to view attachment

I appreciate any help there!
smile.gif
Gustl
currently I'm at the office, so I can't study this in detail, but it says that there are 2 slightly different colour tones of Light Ivory

but 1st of all, you have to notice, that these aren't Porsche documents, but recipies from a Paint shop, how to mix these Porsche colours (even for 2 different types of paint)

it seems that the POR 6804 is slightly brighter than the KO 109

my 1st thought was, that it might be a slightly colour change over the years - possibly no effect for the 914
we would need to see the print date of these sheets ...?

maybe anybody else would know more ...?

Tom_T
QUOTE(Gustl @ Nov 18 2009, 03:25 AM) *

currently I'm at the office, so I can't study this in detail, but it says that there are 2 slightly different colour tones of Light Ivory

but 1st of all, you have to notice, that these aren't Porsche documents, but recipies from a Paint shop, how to mix these Porsche colours (even for 2 different types of paint)

it seems that the POR 6804 is slightly brighter than the KO 109

my 1st thought was, that it might be a slightly colour change over the years - possibly no effect for the 914
we would need to see the print date of these sheets ...?

maybe anybody else would know more ...?

I guessed that's what it might be saying - & about POR11 varying as well - based on my extremely rusty 1 yr of college German way back in 70/71!

I don't know the print dates, but the sheet is for 68 MY Porsche, but it's the only one I've found so far with the color mix. For some reason that online source skips the 69-76 Porsche MY colors? huh.gif

I had posted their similar VW color sheets above which cover the 914 production years, but Light Ivory only appears on 71 & 72 MY for that (PPG's colors).

idea.gif I wonder if Porsche or VW would still have the actual correct 73 MY formula for the 914 Light Ivory? confused24.gif

...of course, PAG/PCNA seems to have very limited records anymore on these vintage cars & it appears that most doing the COAs don't know which codes to read nor how to read them, judging by my 2 incorrect COAs! dry.gif
underthetire
Mine is L80E. Inside and outside match. You can see it depends on how much light hits it. The darker white pic was after just rubbing compound and wax. The brighter pic was after wet-sanding, rubbing compound, wax, and a brighter day. It is not the creme white, just a slight off-white.
Tom_T
QUOTE(underthetire @ Nov 18 2009, 11:03 AM) *

Mine is L80E. Inside and outside match. You can see it depends on how much light hits it. The darker white pic was after just rubbing compound and wax. The brighter pic was after wet-sanding, rubbing compound, wax, and a brighter day. It is not the creme white, just a slight off-white.

Thanx - is yours the original factory paint or a repaint?

...a 73 or 74?

I suspect that the 911 Light Ivory is the more creme-colored version, whereas the 914s are the whiter version.

However, I'll still need a mix formula for the 914 L80E for the Painter???? confused24.gif

PS _ I have yours in my sample L80E pix file for my resto, & just added these larger ones! smile.gif
underthetire
QUOTE(Tom_T @ Nov 18 2009, 11:21 AM) *

QUOTE(underthetire @ Nov 18 2009, 11:03 AM) *

Thanx - is yours the original factory paint or a repaint?

...a 73 or 74?

I suspect that the 911 Light Ivory is the more creme-colored version, whereas the 914s are the whiter version.

However, I'll still need a mix formula for the 914 L80E for the Painter???? confused24.gif

PS _ I have yours in my sample L80E pix file for my resto, & just added these larger ones! smile.gif

It was a repaint by the PO, however his prep work was not great and in areas you can see the old paint coming through. It matches, and the under hood and truck and interior floors all match. I did find duplicolor colonial white to be VERY close.
tod914
Every camera is going to show it alittle different. Here's some of my 75 which was original paint.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Tom_T
QUOTE(tod914 @ Nov 18 2009, 01:16 PM) *

Every camera is going to show it alittle different. Here's some of my 75 which was original paint.

Thanx Tod - more pix for my resto ref file! smile.gif

I had a smaller version of the top pic, but didn't realize it was yours. Are the Fuchs 2L alloys in original finish, or is the background area a light white? ...may just be lighting & camera issue.

Do you have any leads on a correct factory L80E paint formula from Porsche or their OEM paint mfgr.? ...or anyone else?? confused24.gif

BTW - who was the OEM paint mfgr(s). for the 914s?? confused24.gif
tod914
Hi Tom. I'd suggest Glasurut single stage. They were the original paint manufacturers. The original paint is a baked enamel. Their site should have the mixures on it. http://www.glasurit.com/ Maybe some of the paint and body guys in the main forum can direct you better and give you their opinions on different paint manufactures.
Gustl
QUOTE(Tom_T @ Nov 18 2009, 10:28 PM) *

Do you have any leads on a correct factory L80E paint formula from Porsche or their OEM paint mfgr.? ...or anyone else?? confused24.gif

I don't know how it's like in the USA
but if you go to a professional paint shop in Europe and tell them that you need L80E for a 1973 VW-Porsche, you'll get the correct paint
they have all the known colour codes from most known car producers from almost all model years in their computer and just have to follow the mixture advices

bye1.gif Gustl
Tom_T
Although these 2 pix below are NOT of my buddy's 73 911S & 74 914-2L (latter of which I now have as a donor shell to fix mine) - both in Light Ivory to which I was referring above -

...but they do illustrate the difference I've seen in pretty much every 914 vs. 911 Light Ivory (for illustration purposes only - top is from the 911 Farben website & bottom was Jeff Bowlsby's 74). By the sky you can tell that the 911 is shot at sunset/dusk or sunrise/dawn, so the color would render even more warm undertone in that pic, than the creme of the 914 in my earlier post above, but it's still more of a creme color than on the 914, if you look at the hood/front deck-lid area.

However, I could be seeing incorrect repaints up until now, except that Tod's 75 in original L80E pix above is indeed that whiter white! biggrin.gif

73 911 Light Ivory 11/1110: ..................................................................................................... 74 914-2.0 Light Ivory L80E: V
Click to view attachmentClick to view attachment

I recall another post/thread here a while back, about what color was shot uder the dash & front bulkhead, where many had white rather than their OE Karman Tag color uniformly sprayed everywhere. I also noted that all of the 914 body shells listed on Porsche's PET factory parts list are white here:
http://www.porsche.com/usa/accessoriesands...partscatalogue/

So - were all 914 bodies first dipped or sprayed in the L80E white (or perhaps a white primer/sealant), and then painted the appropriate body color by Karman????
confused24.gif confused24.gif
Tom_T
QUOTE(tod914 @ Nov 18 2009, 01:50 PM) *

Hi Tom. I'd suggest Glasurut single stage. They were the original paint manufacturers. The original paint is a baked enamel. Their site should have the mixures on it. http://www.glasurit.com/ Maybe some of the paint and body guys in the main forum can direct you better and give you their opinions on different paint manufactures.

Thanx Tod, already been there - that was where I got the paint mixtures/color charts posted above, but there appears to be several formula there. smile.gif

I recall hearing about another OEM German paint that others like Pat Garvey had mentioned here? ...if my half-zymers isn't kicking in, I think it began with an "S" name or had 2 names with one beginning in "S"?? confused24.gif
Tom_T
QUOTE(Gustl @ Nov 18 2009, 02:02 PM) *

QUOTE(Tom_T @ Nov 18 2009, 10:28 PM) *

I don't know how it's like in the USA
but if you go to a professional paint shop in Europe and tell them that you need L80E for a 1973 VW-Porsche, you'll get the correct paint
they have all the known colour codes from most known car producers from almost all model years in their computer and just have to follow the mixture advices

bye1.gif Gustl

Unfortunately paint shops here in the USA aren't always so accurate, as they've already missed on my 85 BMW 325e & 88 Westfalia (not just fade issues). So I was hoping to find the original Karman or VW-Porsche mix.

When you get a chance, I'd appreciate your translation of their color mix & comments from Glasurit above. smile.gif

Best! beerchug.gif
SirAndy
QUOTE(Tom_T @ Nov 18 2009, 02:02 PM) *

So - were all 914 bodies first dipped or sprayed in the L80E white

No. The primer is gray-ish, not white.

All L80E 914s i have seen in person look more cream-white than plain white.
You can't compare colors from images of different cars loaded off the internet.

As far as i know L80E was the same color for all years of 914 production.

Any good automotive paint shop will be able to match your paint.
bye1.gif Andy

PS: The factory replacement shells are called "body in the white" which is a universal term used for complete replacement shells and not a reference to L80E ...

PPS: You can also order the paint straight from Porsche in Germany. I did this when i repainted my car.
tod914
Siklet? Standox (owned by Dupont) ? Those fuchs on that car have primer on them and not anodize. Andodize had stained from ps21 wheel cleaner.
Tom_T
QUOTE(tod914 @ Nov 19 2009, 05:23 AM) *

Siklet? Standox (owned by Dupont) ? Those fuchs on that car have primer on them and not anodize. Andodize had stained from ps21 wheel cleaner.

. rocking nana.gif
Okay, so now that I have my laptop back with my 914 files, I've found the link below for the Phx. Red I'd seen FS awhile back, that had named a German paint brand:
> Spies Hecker ........ turns out it was right here on the world! biggrin.gif

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=93757

Is that an OEM paint mfgr. for VW-Porsche on the 914s, or just a current German mfgr of good quality auto paints?? confused24.gif

Are they any better than Glasurit/PPG, Sikkens/Siklet or Standox/Dupont, etc.?? confused24.gif
... if so, what are the relative advantages & disadvantages of each?? confused24.gif

I know from when I checked around for the best paints to do our 85 BMW 325e E30 & 88 VW Vanagon Westfalia, all of the better shops recco'ed Dupont or PPG, over Sherwin Williams & the other lesser brands used by MAACO, 1 Day, etc.

So what say the Paint Guru's out there?? confused24.gif
popcorn[1].gif popcorn[1].gif popcorn[1].gif popcorn[1].gif
davep
Paint colours on the internet are highly dependent on lighting, camera, and your computer screen. So much so that you can only use it as a guide, and nothing else. Something like L80E will look white. In person it should have a little warmth to it. BTW, the paint is actually a VW colour but it does cross over to Porsche. You have to be very careful wading through the various codes for the paints since there were many code series used. We should stay with just the codes stamped on the Karmann badge: L80E for the 914/4 and late 914/6 and 11 for the early 914/6. The marketing code of B7 was never stamped on a badge, and is probably not useful to a paint supplier.
Tom_T
QUOTE(davep @ Jan 24 2010, 07:22 AM) *

Paint colours on the internet are highly dependent on lighting, camera, and your computer screen. So much so that you can only use it as a guide, and nothing else. Something like L80E will look white. In person it should have a little warmth to it. BTW, the paint is actually a VW colour but it does cross over to Porsche. You have to be very careful wading through the various codes for the paints since there were many code series used. We should stay with just the codes stamped on the Karmann badge: L80E for the 914/4 and late 914/6 and 11 for the early 914/6. The marketing code of B7 was never stamped on a badge, and is probably not useful to a paint supplier.

Dave, that's exactly why I was looking here for some sort of "official" factory paint mix formula to give the shop & paint supplier.

I still have some areas where the original L80E shows - the largest of which are over the tar under the floor mats/rugs, but I do not trust those "color match guns" - I'm too old school! biggrin.gif

BTW - my Karmann plate is L80E, but PCNA insists that it's 10 Light Ivory on 2 erroneous COAs, where they also incorrectly insist that #31 is a Black interior instead of the correct Beige - in spite of the fact that PCNA has numerous COAs #11 Black (the correct code) out there! dry.gif
davep
Yes, PCNA has fixated on a marketing paint code rather than what was actually stamped on the car, and this tends to lead to a lot of confusion. They are not wrong, just confusing.

The paint formulations are subject to change over time. The paint used on the car at the factory is no longer available, so I think the best you can do is find a painter you trust, and use the paint that he wants to use (and is experienced with so that a desirable result is produced); forcing a painter to use a paint he is not familiar with is asking for trouble. Then work with the paint supplier to come up with the formula for VW L80E; do a test panel if needed; wet and cured will look different as will a 37 year old sample.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.