Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Pertronix, hot Spark, etc..
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
underthetire
Getting a quick engine shut down at mid RPM's, tach drops instantly even though i'm in gear and at 50MPH. Comes right back up and runs ok. I can put the points back in, as they are just a trigger now for the MS. What failures have you seen from the electronics conversions if any ?
jt914-6
Usually with the Petronix it quits. That's been my experience with them. I guess it is possible some systems would start after cooling down and quit when it gets hot again. The old Ford electronic modules had bad grounding mounted on the fender. After cooling down, it would run again.
ericread
When the Pertronix unit goes south, it usually is as a result of a catastrophic failure. For example, my first unit cracked in half. In my case it was the result of pulling a live wire while the ignition system was charged headbang.gif Not a very smart thing to do... My replacement Pertornix has lasted about 28,000 miles so far (just under two years).

I have not heard of an intermittant or speed/RPM issue with the Pertronix units.

Eric
underthetire
Ok, maybe i'll run a jumper wire from the battery straight to the ECU and coil on my way home. Could be a ignition switch or relay then.
tod914
Mine was an intermittent problem with the pertronix. Then the tach and engine started hesitating. That's when I replaced it with points, when I was getting the weird surging. Unit lasted 3 years before the problem.
blitZ
I had a Pertronix which failed. Next, used a Crane Optical, worked great for a few years. It started failing when hot, once it cooled off it was fine. Back using points currently.
r_towle
check your fuses...
check the leads to the coil and make sure they are tight...no wiggle.
Use needle nose pliers and squeeze the female connectors together to get them SUPER TIGHT.
any bad or weak link in the wiring to the coil will burn up points quickly and create a bouncy tach...
you want nice solid contact all the way to the points/petronix.

Rich
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.