Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: What is everybody using for fuel lines?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
wayne1234
Going for the fuel line replacement, what is available at local auto parts store, do I just use brake lines? I know you can order a stainless steel set from a vender (forgot who) but I'm looking for something local, because I'm going to tackle this tonight or tomorrow... Thanks guys..
TravisNeff
You want metric FI hose. You can try a local bug shop.

Unless you mean tunnel lines, CFR makes those. You can also do 3/8 and 5/16 brake line in 60 inch lengths (75-76 cars use 3/8 for both). You'll need a tubing cutter to cut off the fittings and a tubing bender.
tat2dphreak
FWIW, I used summit racing aluminum fuel line. easy to bend, and cheap.
wayne1234
oops, It is a carb set up, and yes in the tunnel
detoxcowboy
QUOTE(wayne1234 @ Nov 19 2009, 02:28 PM) *

Going for the fuel line replacement, what is available at local auto parts store, do I just use brake lines? I know you can order a stainless steel set from a vender (forgot who) but I'm looking for something local, because I'm going to tackle this tonight or tomorrow... Thanks guys..

use metric lines, I know nothing of your local area but I would not use american 5/16 or the other "pep boys,kragen or the like" equivalent to metric.. and at least where i am from so. cal. you ussually have to order the german lines or get them from an auto shop that is willing to sell as they buy bulk usually.. Hose is cheap and fuel leakes burns cars up and can injure not just you but the people driving and stareing and the guys have to put it out for you/.. Definately don't use brake hose for fuel lines or visa versa entirely different composition..
wayne1234
So the MTEAL brake line is a bad idea?
jt914-6
I used 3/8" brake lines from NAPA. It has worked out just fine. No leaks just like it would be if the same lines had brake fluid in them. To each his own on this. I plan on using stainless braided in the future (winter project), but for now the brake lines are fine. I'm only using one to my carbs...Here's a link that helped me.....
http://www.pelicanparts.com/techarticles/9...e_gas_lines.htm
ConeDodger
NAPA does carry metric fuel EFI line. I use this for either carb or EFI. When it comes to fuel, overkill can keep you from getting killed.
zymurgist
QUOTE(jt914-6 @ Nov 19 2009, 05:48 PM) *

I used 3/8" brake lines from NAPA.

agree.gif

I would have bought CFR lines, but they were not yet available at the time.
Dr Evil
I used STEEL brake lines. It seems people think you wish to use flexible brake lines which is wrong. I know what you meant wink.gif

Steel lines in 3/8 dia is all you need and they are dirt cheap. I have this done on my car smile.gif
wayne1234
just got it thanks
kenshapiro2002
Why not?

QUOTE(detoxcowboy @ Nov 19 2009, 05:41 PM) *

QUOTE(wayne1234 @ Nov 19 2009, 02:28 PM) *

use metric lines, I know nothing of your local area but I would not use american 5/16 or the other "pep boys,kragen or the like" equivalent to metric.. and at least where i am from so. cal. you ussually have to order the german lines or get them from an auto shop that is willing to sell as they buy bulk usually.. Hose is cheap and fuel leakes burns cars up and can injure not just you but the people driving and stareing and the guys have to put it out for you/.. Definately don't use brake hose for fuel lines or visa versa entirely different composition..

azbill
I used steel brake lines in teh engine bay and copper in the tunnel connected with rubber FI hose. The setup has worked fine for several years with no problems. I'm running Jenvey throttle bodies.
Dr Evil
I would steer away from copper due to concerns over work hardening and the fact that the brake lines are so damn cheap.
SirAndy
QUOTE(kenshapiro2002 @ Nov 19 2009, 04:24 PM) *

I would not use american 5/16 or the other "pep boys, kragen or the like" equivalent to metric..

Why not?

Because it's the wrong size ... shades.gif

I'm pretty sure he was talking about the soft rubber lines ...
idea.gif Andy
kenshapiro2002
Pretty sure he was too. I hate to be unexacting but 8mm = .310" and 5/16" = .3125". Close enough for me. Even the 10mm (.39) is pretty close to 3/8" (.375).

How come Chris makes 3/8" or 5/16" lines? How come everybody is recommending SAE sized brake lines for fuel lines? Really...just asking. The nipple off of my tank is 10mm and will go to a 3/8"fitting on my fuel pump. What would you do? I'm using 3/8" line.

QUOTE(SirAndy @ Nov 19 2009, 08:15 PM) *

I would not use american 5/16 or the other "pep boys, kragen or the like" equivalent to metric..

Why not?

idea.gif Andy

SirAndy
QUOTE(kenshapiro2002 @ Nov 19 2009, 05:37 PM) *

What would you do?

I was born metric so i'm probably the wrong guy to ask that question as you will not like my answer ...

beerchug.gif Andy
underthetire
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Nov 19 2009, 05:15 PM) *

Why not?

idea.gif Andy

5/16 is the same as 8mm. Withn .002 of an inch. I would bet money the CFR lines are 5/16 stainless. I use 5/16 brake line on FI with no problems.

6 mm is the one not to use 1/4 on. .014 difference.
JazonJJordan
This is from 914 Info at the top of our web page, under technical articles- by Clay,
third from the top for the SS procedure although I have never worried about steel brake line hardening or failures. I will use steel myself. -Jordan-

http://www.914world.com/specs/tech_art.php

QUOTE(wayne1234 @ Nov 19 2009, 05:28 PM) *

kenshapiro2002
Don't wimp out on this...if you were born metric you;re exactly the one to answer...how would you go from a 10mm nipple to a 3/8" nipple? idea.gif

QUOTE(SirAndy @ Nov 19 2009, 10:44 PM) *

What would you do?

I was born metric so i'm probably the wrong guy to ask that question as you will not like my answer ...

beerchug.gif Andy

Gigamight
QUOTE(kenshapiro2002 @ Nov 20 2009, 06:42 AM) *

Don't wimp out on this...if you were born metric you;re exactly the one to answer...how would you go from a 10mm nipple to a 3/8" nipple? idea.gif

What would you do?

beerchug.gif Andy

Nipple clamps?
SirAndy
QUOTE(kenshapiro2002 @ Nov 20 2009, 03:42 AM) *

What would you do?

I would not use a 3/8" nipple in the first place.

Try some ice cubes. I hear they make your nipples bigger ...
popcorn[1].gif Andy
underthetire
10mm is .394, 3/8 is .375. Too much stress to put a 3/8 line on a 10MM nipple. I would turn down the 10MM to 3/8 on a lathe if you can. If thats what you need.
kenshapiro2002
So, you wouldn't use Chris' Stainless Steel 3/8" lines? Me confused.

QUOTE(SirAndy @ Nov 20 2009, 12:24 PM) *

QUOTE(kenshapiro2002 @ Nov 20 2009, 03:42 AM) *

What would you do?

I would not use a 3/8" nipple in the first place.

Try some ice cubes. I hear they make your nipples bigger ...
popcorn[1].gif Andy

SirAndy
QUOTE(kenshapiro2002 @ Nov 20 2009, 11:11 AM) *

If there was a metric alternative to his lines then no, i wouldn't use his 3/8" lines.

They are the best aftermarket lines out there that i have seen so far, but at the end of the day, i still hate to put anything in my car that's not metric.
Bugs the hell out of me.

Close might be "close enough" for you. For me, a close miss is still a miss.

You think it doesn't matter, i think it does matter.
You voice your opinion, i voice my opinion.
You do what you want, i do what i want.

See where this is going?
biggrin.gif Andy
kenshapiro2002
You have this all wrong...this is not an argument oh sensitive metric man biggrin.gif . I sincerely bow to your greater knowledge. Every chance I get I confess to my "rookie" status with this stuff. I have asked repeatedly, "What would you do", and you have yet to guide me? You just keep defending metric-ness and reinforcing that close doesn't count. Again...what would you do (unless you simply won't tell me)? The nipple coming out of the tank is metric...Chris' lines are not. I'm asking your solution, not championing SAE over metric, or closeness over exactness...really. aktion035.gif

QUOTE(SirAndy @ Nov 20 2009, 02:25 PM) *

If there was a metric alternative to his lines then no, i wouldn't use his 3/8" lines.

They are the best aftermarket lines out there that i have seen so far, but at the end of the day, i still hate to put anything in my car that's not metric.
Bugs the hell out of me.

Close might be "close enough" for you. For me, a close miss is still a miss.

You think it doesn't matter, i think it does matter.
You voice your opinion, i voice my opinion.
You do what you want, i do what i want.

See where this is going?
biggrin.gif Andy

SirAndy
QUOTE(kenshapiro2002 @ Nov 20 2009, 11:51 AM) *

You have this all wrong...this is not an argument oh sensitive metric man

22.8 centimeters just sounds bigger than 9 inches. poke.gif I know, i'm shallow ... rolleyes.gif

Anyways, the cleanest install in your case would be to part from your metric ways. There are a few threads about fitting US standard outlets to our tanks. That way, you can add a exact match outlet to the tank.
Do a search here for standard sized fuel tank outlets.

Otherwise,
if you have to adapt from smaller to larger, get a hose that's a close fit for both. Chris's fuel lines come with flared ends, so you get something to clamp to, which helps.
Then there are hoses that taper down.
If the difference in size is too large, that's the better choice rather than trying to stretch/compress a hose on a fitting.

smash.gif Andy
Gint
QUOTE(kenshapiro2002 @ Nov 20 2009, 12:51 PM) *
I have asked repeatedly, "What would you do", and you have yet to guide me?

I think he answered your question. Or perhaps I'm just missing the point of this "argument".

QUOTE(SirAndy @ Nov 20 2009, 12:25 PM) *
If there was a metric alternative to his lines then no, i wouldn't use his 3/8" lines
kenshapiro2002
ATTAAndy...that's what I wanted. I'll try the search (betting I won't hit pay dirt, but I'll try) for US standard outlets for our tanks. Hoses that taper down...from US to metric? Really?

QUOTE(SirAndy @ Nov 20 2009, 03:07 PM) *

QUOTE(kenshapiro2002 @ Nov 20 2009, 11:51 AM) *

You have this all wrong...this is not an argument oh sensitive metric man

22.8 centimeters just sounds bigger than 9 inches. poke.gif I know, i'm shallow ... rolleyes.gif

Anyways, the cleanest install in your case would be to part from your metric ways. There are a few threads about fitting US standard outlets to our tanks. That way, you can add a exact match outlet to the tank.
Do a search here for standard sized fuel tank outlets.

Otherwise,
if you have to adapt from smaller to larger, get a hose that's a close fit for both. Chris's fuel lines come with flared ends, so you get something to clamp to, which helps.
Then there are hoses that taper down.
If the difference in size is too large, that's the better choice rather than trying to stretch/compress a hose on a fitting.

smash.gif Andy

kenshapiro2002
That's not an answer. That being said, I now have an answer and a search to do.

QUOTE(Gint @ Nov 20 2009, 03:13 PM) *

QUOTE(kenshapiro2002 @ Nov 20 2009, 12:51 PM) *
I have asked repeatedly, "What would you do", and you have yet to guide me?

I think he answered your question. Or perhaps I'm just missing the point of this "argument".

QUOTE(SirAndy @ Nov 20 2009, 12:25 PM) *
[b]If there was a metric alternative to his lines then no, i wouldn't use his 3/8" lines[/b]

SirAndy
QUOTE(kenshapiro2002 @ Nov 20 2009, 12:44 PM) *

I'll try the search (betting I won't hit pay dirt, but I'll try) for US standard outlets for our tanks.

Here Yugo:
http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=72023

I searched for:
+fuel +tank +threaded

and result #6 was the thread i had been looking for ...
smash.gif Andy
kenshapiro2002
Thanks! I used +US+standard+Fuel and got bupkiss. Well...I got all of the threads I'd already read. Thanks again. I know you're a "Give a man a fish..." person, but I;m just not that good at the search thing yet.

QUOTE(SirAndy @ Nov 20 2009, 04:43 PM) *

QUOTE(kenshapiro2002 @ Nov 20 2009, 12:44 PM) *

I'll try the search (betting I won't hit pay dirt, but I'll try) for US standard outlets for our tanks.

Here Yugo:
http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=72023

I searched for:
+fuel +tank +threaded

and result #6 was the thread i had been looking for ...
smash.gif Andy

ChrisFoley

If there was a metric alternative to his lines...

For all intents and purposes I could call my lines metric and there would be little room for argument. idea.gif
My caliper measurements indicate that what I am using is so close to the factory sizes as to be insignificant, and the id is actually bigger than the original plastic lines.
8mm=.3152", about 2 1/2 thousandths of an inch different than 5/16".
9.5mm=.3743", less than a thousandth from 3/8".
3/8" and 5/16" id hoses fit very well on the fuel line connections of our cars.
I just measured a fuel tank supply "nipple" at .388"od. There should be no trouble fitting a 3/8"id hose onto one.
The return "nipple" measured .318"od.
kenshapiro2002
Thanks...I know what to do now and how to feel about it. smile.gif

QUOTE(Racer Chris @ Nov 20 2009, 06:32 PM) *

If there was a metric alternative to his lines...

For all intents and purposes I could call my lines metric and there would be little room for argument. idea.gif
My caliper measurements indicate that what I am using is so close to the factory sizes as to be insignificant, and the id is actually bigger than the original plastic lines.
8mm=.3152", about 2 1/2 thousandths of an inch different than 5/16".
9.5mm=.3743", less than a thousandth from 3/8".
I just measured a fuel tank supply "nipple" at .388"od. There should be no trouble fitting a 3/8"id hose onto one.
The return "nipple" measured .318"od.

neil30076

Ken, thats what i did, exactly per Chris.
6freak
Chris Foley Products and be done with it ...why fuck around with junk
kenshapiro2002
I've had his lines for a month or so...the question was about attachment at the tank, and whether a 10mm fuel tank outlet can safely handle a 3/8" hose. There are differing opinions.

QUOTE(6freak @ Nov 20 2009, 08:35 PM) *

Cevan

agree.gif

Got 8000 miles on my car with CFR lines and metric FI hose, no problems. Use FI clamps like the ones on the left. Don't use the ones on the right.

Click to view attachment
6freak
QUOTE(kenshapiro2002 @ Nov 20 2009, 05:44 PM) *

I've had his lines for a month or so...the question was about attachment at the tank, and whether a 10mm fuel tank outlet can safely handle a 3/8" hose. There are differing opinions.

atta boy sorry i didnt read all the post ..my bad .. slap.gif
kenshapiro2002
Gotta box full...ready to go.

QUOTE(Cevan @ Nov 20 2009, 08:49 PM) *

agree.gif

Got 8000 miles on my car with CFR lines and metric FI hose, no problems. Use FI clamps like the ones on the left. Don't use the ones on the right.

Click to view attachment

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.