Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: carbon fiber hood and rear deck lid
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
nein14
anyone recently buy them or have a reasonable price source for them?
jonwatts
What's reasonable?
campbellcj
If you are in SoCal (your location is blank in your user profile, hint hint) then call Getty Design and ask for a "cash and carry" quote.

Even if you're not in SoCal, you'll probably want to call Getty. Nobody is really making super high quality c/f parts for consumer p-car consumption, but a huge number of folks seem to say that Getty is the best "we" have got. That's where mine will be coming from shortly unless somebody yells "STOP" on this thread huh.gif
jonwatts
I just talked to them today. They wouldn't guarantee the carbon fiber lids would be picture perfect but when I said I wanted to use them unpainted they said they would take extra care to make the weave lay as straight as possible.

I folded and ordered a pair of lids on the spot. My car is going in for body work and paint. I'd rather take any money I'd spend on prep time and materials for my 60 lbs metal lids and put it towards 22 lbs of carbon fiber.

I'm stoked.
campbellcj
Yeah, neither of my current steel lids is totally clean, not to mention lightweight <_<

Hmmm... I was also thinking of running with unfinished (polished?) c/f, for a while at least. It may be a bit ricey, but this car ain't gonna get resprayed any time soon.

Look foward to seeing how they look. Since I already dropped $2500 on my car this week, and April is a hellish bill month, the lids will have to wait till summer.
Jeroen
Hey Jon,

How much are the lids???

cheers,

Jeroen
DuckRyder
You are going to want to clear coat the carbon if it is exposed to sun / UV. UV will break down the resin.

There is actually such a thing as clear primer, you will want to use clear primer to fill the pin holes and then clear, other wise you will have to do many many heavy coats or clear to fill them sanding most of it off between coats.

HTH
seanery
yeah jonboy, fill us in on the pricing info!
jonwatts
QUOTE(DuckRyder @ Mar 18 2004, 03:51 AM)
You are going to want to clear coat the carbon if it is exposed to sun / UV. UV will break down the resin.

There is actually such a thing as clear primer, you will want to use clear primer to fill the pin holes and then clear, other wise you will have to do many many heavy coats or clear to fill them sanding most of it off between coats.

HTH

Yes it does help, thanks. I wasn't aware that UV would break down the resin or of clear primer. I'm not sure how the black lids will look against the blue paint so I was thinking of tinting them closer to the blue color with clearcoat anyway. These are good things to talk to the painters about.

They knocked $100 off each lid. I'm not sure why, maybe business is a little slow, maybe he has a soft spot for the 914. If I were in socal the cash-n-carry price might be even lower. Don't forget to factor shipping into your budget since these are crated and go by truck freight. That's another $150 to get them from Getty Design to a business address in San Jose (same price Nippon Motors quoted me to ship the Subaru Engine).
TimT
Well whats the big secret? whats the price?

anywayzz I was going carbon crazy on my 911... when someone said to me why am I paying the extra dinero for carbon, when the weight diff between carbon and glass is almost nothing.. So my 911 is half carbon half glass...

Ill say unless you really need to have the carbon "look" go with glass

The carbon we buy isnt vacuum bagged or autoclaved anyway it just looks cool..
Jeroen
Slightly off topic...

Sean, post some pics of your RennSpeed f/g parts!!!

cheers,

Jeroen
seanery
I ordered doors on Sunday. I'll post pics when I get the doors (and it's warmer and drier outside).
anthony
Ill say unless you really need to have the carbon "look" go with glass

I was thinking for my ultimate 914 street rod I'd go raw carbon hoods, on a black 914, GT flares, and polished Fuchs.
SpecialK
Carbon Fiber is WAY stiffer than fiberglass of the same thickness (sorry, I don't have the specs handy). This means that CF requires fewer plys to achieve the same stiffness as fiberglass, ergo-light weight components.
Qarl
Maybesomeone should inquire about a group buy on CF hoods!

smile.gif
TimT
about a group buy

okie then.... group buy potential till it gets squashed?
TimT
WAY stiffer than fiberglass of the same thickness (sorry, I don't have the specs handy).

ok so then I should pay $100 more for a part that isnt really much lighter, and stiiffness cant be compared to glass..
SpecialK
Ah... You misunderstood.

A Carbon Graphite hood that's say 1/8" thick would be as strong/stiff as a fiberglass hood that is 3/8"-1/2" thick (no shit!) So with fiberglass and Carbon Graphite having comparable weights when cured, a carbon graphite hood would weigh about 1/3 to 1/4 as much as a fiberglass hood of the same strength/stiffness. smash.gif

That's why we here at Boeing make F-18's, Harriers, and C-17 fuselage components out of the stuff (well, kevlar too) sawzall-smiley.gif
bernbomb914
I would still like to find a C/F targa top. It would look cool and be a lot lighter making it easier to take off and on.

Bernie
Rgreen914
QUOTE(bernbomb914 @ Mar 18 2004, 11:11 PM)
I would still like to find a C/F targa top. It would look cool and be a lot lighter making it easier to take off and on.

Bernie

Sounds a bit "ricer", but nice! I might have to go for one of those if someone makes them.
SpecialK
Actually, I'm gonna take a spare targa top I have and CF the outside. I've got all of the materials, vacuum pump and bagging materials, just waiting for some warmer weather for the epoxy. It won't be any lighter but it should be somewhat stiffer (and so will I if it turns out right wink.gif ). Also attempting a set of matching (completely CF) flared rockers to match my fender flares. I know some of the guys on this board absolutely hate this kind of stuff, but TETO!! :finger2:

Man, that's my favorite emicon
Curvie Roadlover
QUOTE(Rgreen914 @ Mar 18 2004, 11:56 PM)
a C/F targa top. It would look cool and be a lot lighter making it easier to take off and on.

I might have to go for one of those if someone makes them.

agree.gif
jonwatts
QUOTE(bernbomb914 @ Mar 18 2004, 11:11 PM)

Bernie

I have to say "mee too"

In my case I think the old top (even when it's repainted) will look out of place on my car. Guess it'll just have to stay in the trunk most of the time.
Curvie Roadlover
QUOTE(jonwatts @ Mar 19 2004, 07:00 AM)
Guess it'll just have to stay in the trunk most of the time.

Amen, brother aktion035.gif
tat2dphreak
a body-color CF top *might* actually get used... as is, no top is king!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.