Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: RHD conversion?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
okkie
Would a conversion from LHD to RHD be possible for someone that is reasonably competent in metal fabricating and welding? WTF.gif Living in SA it is a pain to drive a LHD car, especially when in traffic. I have constructed my own Lotus 7 clone and have a milling machine, lathe, Mig welder and all the tools a small engineering works will have. piratenanner.gif
hcdmueller
It is possible. They have been done in the past. Some of it would be pretty easy. The pedals could come straight out of a 911. I would think the most challenging part would be getting the dash right. Unless your car is a pristine low mileage example I would say go for it. It sounds like you have the necessary equipment.
okkie
QUOTE(hcdmueller @ Nov 20 2009, 03:32 PM) *

It is possible. They have been done in the past. Some of it would be pretty easy. The pedals could come straight out of a 911. I would think the most challenging part would be getting the dash right. Unless your car is a pristine low mileage example I would say go for it. It sounds like you have the necessary equipment.

Chris, I was thinking along the lines of a Willwood pedal cluster. The dash can be made from foamcore and fibreglass with a textured spray-on finish, the stuff the plastic bumper repair guys use.
Okkie
turboturtle
Dude, that sound way cool. If you do this I'm sure everyone here will want an update with pictures on the transformation process. I know I would like to see it!

T.T. aka Bob
morph
with the equip you described and if you got the skills to pay the bills i say do it.
i have driven a rhd car here in america and it drove me nuts!(old postal jeep a friend had)
i have done five right hand drive interiors.one of the dashes was fiberglass.the other looked like metal cores with soft foam over them.
i dumped all the pics,but i still have all the jigs for carpet and other stuff.there buried in archive in one of the storage buildings.
james
veltror
There were a number of Crayford right hand drive conversions made about a dozen or so. There also have been a number of conversions since then. The major jobs are the pedal cluster relocation of which requires the fuel tank to be cut about, and obviously the handbrake mount, and cable guides. teh dash is nornmally sectioned ina number of pieces and all the cables nned lenghtening. I drive a LHD car here int he Uk and it is not an issue. You may wish to go to the ddk-online website and look there.

I would leave it LHD...

R
okkie
Thanks guys, I'm commited to do this. This car will have a lot of work required, so I thought I'll go the whole 9 yards and change it as I want it. Cables etc should not be a problem and I would prefer to chage the clutch to a hydaulic setup anyway. At the moment only planning and daydreaming!
Kansas 914
Like this?

This photo is from a European 914 group.

Click to view attachment
okkie
That's it!
hcdmueller
That is nice.
SirAndy
QUOTE(veltror @ Nov 20 2009, 07:29 AM) *

There were a number of Crayford right hand drive conversions made about a dozen or so.

agree.gif

There were closeup pics of a conversion posted here a long time ago ... You might be able to dig those up ...
idea.gif Andy
URY914
I would say moving the pedals would be more work the the steering wheel.
914Sixer
A couple of years ago there was a guy in Austrialia selling dashes he had made on Ebay.
Rick_Eberle
QUOTE(914Sixer @ Nov 21 2009, 04:49 AM) *

A couple of years ago there was a guy in Austrialia selling dashes he had made on Ebay.

I *THINK* that was this guy...
Hardt Classic Porsches

I think most of the conversions here have cut the fuel tank to fit the master cylinder. Changing to an aftermarket cluster may prevent that.

I drive a left hand drive car in a right hand drive world, and it's not too much of a problem. The 914's visibility is pretty good.
Lou W
This would be awesome to watch. beerchug.gif
RohJay
I have a '70 RHD that is almost complete - awaiting a few bits here and there.
Shall post some pics when i get done.

However i did not undertake the conversion.
It was already done by a PO in Australia , where I understand, they are quite adept at RHD conversions.

One thing though, the car has the vent control unit but NO dash vents!
And am i right its the same case with the car below?

I haven't yet looked into it, but wonder if the RHD conversion somehow prohibits a blower vent system?

QUOTE(Kansas 914 @ Nov 20 2009, 09:16 PM) *

Dave_Darling
If you mean the defroster vent, the above car does have at least one--probably both because the area where the other would go is covered by the map/book/paper on the dash.

If you mean at the ends of the dash blowing straight back into the cockpit, those were added for the 72 model year. The 70-71 cars don't have them.

--DD
neilca
If you go to the paddock section under the track car picture stickie you can see my RHD race car. I think it is easier to make a race car right hand drive but some of the mechanics are the same.

The bulkhead on the right wheel well has to be removed. I am using a fuel cell so the relocation of the fuel tank was going to happen either way. I chose to use the Wilwood pedals and all hydraulic brake and clutch. I fabricated my own throttle pedal if you look closely you can see I made it such that the throttle cable is a straight shot back.

Sorry I cannot get the pictures small enough to post. They are a .jpg can anyone help with reducing the size?

Moving the steering wheel to the other side caused a binding condition in the U joints. You will have to reclock the U joints (90 degrees on just one) to get a smooth operation of the steering.

Hope that helps,

neil

BTW I still am not use to shifting with my left hand. You can see a standoff in the cockpit where I started to put in a right hand shifter, but ran into too many problems.
SirAndy
QUOTE(RohJay @ Nov 22 2009, 08:41 AM) *

Early cars did not have the dash vents ...
shades.gif Andy
Downunderman
Have a look at this thread. http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=99123

If you do the tilton setup you wont have to lower the floor as you would with the 911 pedals.

It will be necessary to extend the footwell to match the other side and cut the bulge out of the petrol tank, which loses about 5 litres. Although, if you are not too tall, you could probably get way with just using the short tilton master cylinders inboard, or let them hang out through the firewall.

cheers

Howie.
RohJay
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Nov 23 2009, 02:23 AM) *

QUOTE(RohJay @ Nov 22 2009, 08:41 AM) *

Early cars did not have the dash vents ...
shades.gif Andy

Duh! ... ohmy.gif
I should have checked with you guys before buying a set of dash vents off eBay to "correct the error".
okkie
Downunderman, I have a similar setup (home fabricated) in my Locost 7 with Wilwood cilinders and balancebar, and was contemplating doing the same. A 'hanging' pedal setup should also work with remote brakefluid housings in the front trunk area.

Okkie
Gint
Somewhat related post

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=101516
veltror
You might find THIS of interest.

R
veltror
and this

rhd 914
okkie
Thanks Veltror, amazing stuff. Now more excited than ever.

Okkie
veltror
go to http://www.ddk-online.com/ registration is free Ian Mcmath has a Crayford 914.
914-6racer
Why mess around with yours.
I'll sell you mine . it's a genuine--possible No1 Crayford RHD 914 with loads of history including lap record at Mallory Park

Ian

07785 792412

ian@porsche9146.freeserve.co.uk
zambezi
nice quick reply.... only 4 years later.
dale73914
HAHA, i just read this post and thought i'd be able to contribute, then saw the date as well..

So , does anyone know if Okkie did it ????

Mine is RHD ( as i am in Australia ) , from what i know the 2 X PO imported the car ( along with a few others ), and yes, as part of the rebuilds used a 911 pedal cluster, modded the dash ( sectioned and redid the metalwork and had the dash cut up then re-vinylformed so it looks factory ) and and column mounts . Tank was modded to suit brake master cylinder.

The only issue i have found is the area where the radio would now live is not deep enough due to the firewall shape. I didnt really want to cut up the dash anyway so used a pod underneath.

Cheers

Dale
dale73914
Oh, and wipers were reversed smile.gif
Asheikh
QUOTE(914-6racer @ Aug 22 2013, 01:49 PM) *

Why mess around with yours.
I'll sell you mine . it's a genuine--possible No1 Crayford RHD 914 with loads of history including lap record at Mallory Park

Ian

07785 792412

ian@porsche9146.freeserve.co.uk

lol 8 years late.....are you still selling a RHD 914 or know of anyone who is?

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.