Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Relocating the Fuel Pump in a '74
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Larouex
I have searched the forums and I am looking for pictures and descriptions of folks who have done the relocation of the fuel pump to the front of the car.

I have restored the tank, put in SS fuel lines and I am not ready to locate the fuel pump to prevent vapor lock.

TIA,
Larouex
dr914@autoatlanta.com
QUOTE(Larouex @ Nov 20 2009, 08:13 AM) *

I have searched the forums and I am looking for pictures and descriptions of folks who have done the relocation of the fuel pump to the front of the car.

I have restored the tank, put in SS fuel lines and I am not ready to locate the fuel pump to prevent vapor lock.

TIA,
Larouex

decent instructions are in the appendix of the "tech tips 700"
Cap'n Krusty
"Vapor lock"? Doesn't happen in 914s, even where it gets really hot.

The Cap'n
Spoke
QUOTE(Cap'n Krusty @ Nov 20 2009, 10:54 AM) *

The Cap'n

I'm at this crossroad too. Tank is out, FI engine is out. Do I locate the pump in front or in the rear? I would like to do the rear just because the wiring is there already.

So is there value in the pump up front or is mounting in the original position ok?
type47
Have you had trouble with vapor lock?
Eric_Shea

Ummmmmmmm... sure did happen to me, however it was a 6.
championgt1
QUOTE(Spoke @ Nov 20 2009, 08:57 AM) *

QUOTE(Cap'n Krusty @ Nov 20 2009, 10:54 AM) *

The Cap'n

I'm at this crossroad too. Tank is out, FI engine is out. Do I locate the pump in front or in the rear? I would like to do the rear just because the wiring is there already.

So is there value in the pump up front or is mounting in the original position ok?

My pump was up front. I moved it back to the stock location. The way it was wired up front was not right at all. The pump ran constantly with the ignition on.
underthetire
I've never had vapor lock. Can't see how it could happen with constant circulation through the pressure regulator. Maybe with low pressure and carbs?
Shade Tree
With carbs and low pressure, I was having the issue due to the fact that I'm not very observant and a fuel line was close to a heater hose. In this case, it wouldn't matter where the pump was located. I didn't experience real vapor lock where the car quit running but I could hear the pump get loud when it was getting air bubbles. I re-routed the fuel line so it was at least 6 inches from the heater stuff and routed the heater exhaust away from the bottom of the engine and the problem cleared. I had to cut off the little mushroom shaped deals on the flapper boxes and run hose from there to the fender wells.
Larouex
Typical of my fat fingers, I meant "I am ready to NOW locate my pump to the location of 75-76 cars."

Yes I experienced the dreaded high heat and no start up issues this summer. I was asking if folks have done it, what different approaches people have taken and any pictures (like a classic thread)
jmmotorsports
QUOTE(Larouex @ Nov 20 2009, 07:13 AM) *

TIA,
Larouex

This is how I did the one in my 70.

Jerry
tod914
Nice set up Jerry. What filter did you use and what size are the ends?
jmmotorsports
The one in my V8.

Jerry
Spoke
QUOTE(jmmotorsports @ Nov 21 2009, 08:57 AM) *

QUOTE(Larouex @ Nov 20 2009, 07:13 AM) *

TIA,
Larouex

This is how I did the one in my 70.

Jerry

I like this alot! This could be my installation too. Minimal holes in the bulkhead; Ready access to the pump and filter. Nice!

How has this worked out for you? Anything you would have done differently?

I could see adding a protection cover plate since the fuel pump is in the trunk with the spare tire & junk.
PanelBilly
Click to view attachment

I took this picture for the other fuel pump relocation thread from a few days ago, but I might as well post it here. Mine's in the tunnel with the steering rack. This is a '73 and I'm running carbs (some day). Fits in there well and it will be easy to change filters. The filter is between the tank and the pump and I figure I'll add another filter in the engine bay to reduce the problems with crap in the carbs.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.