Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Center of Gravity
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
damnfiknow
Down to one good working jack. Need approx spot for positioning jack to drop 1.7/trans from 73. Help please..
sean_v8_914
under teh flywheel
davep
In that area there is a rectangular 'rib' about a half inch wide by about 2 inches long. I find centering on that is a very good balance point. If you can, get some sheet metal or strong cardboard and slip down between the engine tin and the nuts on the inboard suspension arm shaft ends. The engine tin tends to hang up on those nuts and anything to prevent that saves a lot of time and danger. Be sure the jack can roll freely before you start working.
messix
get under and disconnect everthing and then drop it back down with the wheels off and a with a piano dolly under the engine and tranny then reach under and undo the tranny mounts and then the engine bar. jack up car and wheel out the engine.
IronHillRestorations
QUOTE(messix @ Nov 21 2009, 11:31 AM) *

get under and disconnect everthing and then drop it back down with the wheels off and a with a piano dolly under the engine and tranny then reach under and undo the tranny mounts and then the engine bar. jack up car and wheel out the engine.

agree.gif I've done it that way a bunch of times, and it's pretty easy.

I've made a couple simple sheet metal covers for the inner suspension nuts.
Hammy
What they said, right under the flywheel with a regular jack.

Motorcycle jacks make it REALLY easy...
Dr. Roger
OMG, so sweet. I never thought about that way of doing it. Thanks. biggrin.gif

QUOTE(messix @ Nov 21 2009, 12:31 PM) *

gklinger
I want to give a shout-out for Chris Foley's engine lift plate. Makes engine removal and reinstallation a one person job, balances the engine perfectly. A great tool!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.