Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Need help installing AA pistons.
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
westdesert
Click to view attachment
Anyone with experience with AA pistons? Does the green dot go towards the fly wheel? two of the pistons have the dot on the side with the square mark in the casting and two have the mark on the other side with the circle mark so I am guessing that the dot is the orientation mark. Is this correct?
Our first build so we could use some help.
thanks
Kelly
bam914
Do they have valve reliefs in them?
westdesert
QUOTE(bam914 @ Nov 21 2009, 02:03 PM) *

Do they have valve reliefs in them?

No,they are just flat top.
Sleepin
Are there arrows stamped onto the piston face?
westdesert
Click to view attachment

No arrows, Here is what the top side looks like.
ME733
popcorn[1].gif ...The GREEN DOT...... is from the chinaman, who while eating , his lunch of ground grass mixed with dirt dribbled on the piston while doing his "Quality Control "job.....So what you SHOULD do is determine If there is a wrist pin offset for yourself..Then decide which way your going to install the pistons...as they relate to the direction of travel up and down and in what rotational direction you want the piston pin offset if you have one.... are the oil control rings ONE piece ?...if so, you want to plan for an insurance policy that covers .YOU ..slamming your Balls in a door jamb. Thats what will be on you mind , shortly, for the stupidity of using them....
URY914
STD?

Wear rubber gloves.
r_towle
Do you have the old stock set?
Measure the pin offset of a stock set and look at how that relates to the arrow on the top of the piston on the stock set.

Then find the offset on the AA pistons and install them the same way.

Rich
westdesert
QUOTE(ME733 @ Nov 21 2009, 02:28 PM) *

popcorn[1].gif ...The GREEN DOT...... is from the chinaman, who while eating , his lunch of ground grass mixed with dirt dribbled on the piston while doing his "Quality Control "job.....So what you SHOULD do is determine If there is a wrist pin offset for yourself..Then decide which way your going to install the pistons...as they relate to the direction of travel up and down and in what rotational direction you want the piston pin offset if you have one.... are the oil control rings ONE piece ?...if so, you want to plan for an insurance policy that covers .YOU ..slamming your Balls in a door jamb. Thats what will be on you mind , shortly, for the stupidity of using them....

ME733,
I am looking for advise not opinions, especially your disgusting juvenile ones. On the other hand if we were both in sixth grade that would be really funny.
westdesert
QUOTE(r_towle @ Nov 21 2009, 05:00 PM) *

Measure the pin offset of a stock set and look at how that relates to the arrow on the top of the piston on the stock set.

Rich

Rich and the others who offered help ,Thank you
Rich ,
I do have the old pistons, not sure I understand the offset but I will see if I can figure it out with them.
Thank You
SLITS
They have a website. They have an email. They're out of El Monte, CA.

eBay may be your best seach tool as they sell on it all the time.

Email them .... they'll answer.
r_towle
QUOTE(westdesert @ Nov 21 2009, 08:48 PM) *

QUOTE(r_towle @ Nov 21 2009, 05:00 PM) *

Rich

Rich and the others who offered help ,Thank you
Rich ,
I do have the old pistons, not sure I understand the offset but I will see if I can figure it out with them.
Thank You

The wrist pin is offset from the centerline of the piston to relieve some of the piston slap that happens at BDC when it changes direction.

Measure from the outside diameter to the outer edge of the wrist pin, then add 50% of the diameter of the wrist pin.
Do that measurement from both sides...write that down.
Do the stock piston the same way.
You will see that the wrist pin is not centered.

Mount like stock.

Rich
ME733
QUOTE(westdesert @ Nov 21 2009, 08:44 PM) *

QUOTE(ME733 @ Nov 21 2009, 02:28 PM) *

ME733,
I am looking for advise not opinions, especially your disgusting juvenile ones. On the other hand if we were both in sixth grade that would be really funny.
popcorn[1].gif Well.....seems like your so uptight about your problem you cannot read the advise contained within the (humorious post I thought).... to help you............so maybe this will help. 1. you must determine if there is a piston pin offset., the piston pin offset is (sometimes/mostly, excepting forged pistons, mostly, ) manufactured into the piston to OFFSET THE WRIST PIN so the piston will not be as noisy , slap the cylinder wall, quite as hard, as the piston approaches TOP DEAD CENTER. 2. I do NOT KNOW for CERTAIN what the GREEN DOT IS FOR ACTUALLY. Usually the piston manufacturer casts into the piston OR stamps into the piston an ARROW. the ARROW normally is to indicate that the piston should be installed...whereby the ARROW should face the flyweel. (this is to ensure that the pin offset is in the proper direction, to minize "piston slap". Your set of high quality pistons do not have any indication as to wrist pin offset. maybe you should call the supplier/manufacturer and ask them what to do. Or YOU could measure the pin offset YOURSELF with a calaper Or you could take the pistons to a engine builder, automotive machine shop, ,have them check pin offset and stamp an ARROW for you. 3. piston rings, I thought my recommendation was clear enough. In my opinion a ONE ,1. piece oil control (the ring at the bottom of the piston), oil control ring is ...no good, junk , cheap way out, and not the highest quality oil control ring design. I recommend a three piece stainless steel oil control ring,s.......don't let this engine assembly project frustrate you too badly .what I used to do when faced with a frustrating issue in engine assy., is to walk away from it awhile ,clear my head, have a beer,and relax a bit. I always found that this technique, allowed for a faster solution to the problem, and made assembly "FUN'. It should not be a miserable experience. YOU will have immense satisfaction when you're done.....hang in there. popcorn[1].gif
tat2dphreak
QUOTE(SLITS @ Nov 21 2009, 08:11 PM) *

They have a website. They have an email. They're out of El Monte, CA.

eBay may be your best seach tool as they sell on it all the time.

Email them .... they'll answer.

agree.gif I bought my pistons from them, they were valve relief, so I didn't have the same question, but I DID email them with a question and they responded in short order(within the day)

good luck man, we'll help any way we can

ME733
popcorn[1].gif....Here,s a solution ...to determine the wrist pin off-set.....Remove the wrist pin from an old piston....Take the new piston, and old piston and place them side by side, with wrist-pin bores aligned. Slide the new Piston,s wrist pin into the old piston,s wrist pin bore.......place both pistons upside down (tops down) on a flat surface. measure , to determine if the pistons are aligned/squared up with each other. If they are...copy the arrow/ or casting indication (to the new piston) which means THAT side (of the new piston) will face flyweel. IF the pistons are not aligned or /squared up....if the NEW piston is off-set as compared to the old piston. slide NEW piston off of the wrist pin....and turn new piston 180 degrees....and slide onto the wrist pin. This should get them aligned/ squared with each other. mark new piston with old pistons offset arrow as before......do all four pistons and you will have them marked for assembly, with (arrow facing flyweel).........Here,s a couple of if,s....there is know way to know absolutely IF the wrist pin offsets, from two different piston manufactures will in fact be exactly the same......Therefore You will have to make a "BEST MATCH" decision as you determine which way the offset is ...AS it relates to the pistons (old and new) you are compairing. the off-sets may be exact or will be very close......You can do all this your self....... popcorn[1].gif
sean_v8_914
blah blah blah, guys wake the F$%#@ up! cant yall see the valve releif bosses under teh piston screaming the answer. yes you could use an electron microscope to determine teh exact saturation point of your cherios
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.