Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Pulling the 6 motor on Sat
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Jeffs9146
Like is says above, does anyone have a checklist for removing the complete drive train for a factory 6? I am hoping to pull it out on Saturday. I already have the rear suspension out so the rest should be easy.....right?

Jeff
JWest
QUOTE(Jeffs9146 @ Mar 18 2004, 09:52 AM)
so the rest should be easy.....right?

Be careful - I hope you're not jinxing yourself with that statement!

Checklist:
1. Remove all the bits that attach engine/trans to car
2. Remove engine and trans
3. Reverse steps to reinstall

wink.gif
Jeffs9146
Be careful - I hope you're not jinxing yourself with that statement!

Murphys law right!! laugh.gif

It's not my first motor just my first 914/6! I have done a few 911's.

I am going to pray to the 914 God for the next few days!! pray.gif pray.gif

Jeff
JWest
QUOTE(Jeffs9146 @ Mar 18 2004, 10:25 AM)
It's not my first motor just my first 914/6! I have done a few 911's.

I wasn't trying to be condescending - just giving others (with more original /6 experience) an "outline". smile.gif
Jeffs9146
I wasn't trying to be condescending

Not a problem!! I didn't even take it that way! unsure.gif

Jeff
agentblr
Just take your sweet time and make sure every thing is disconnected,dont forget the ground strap thats on the rear of the tranny connected the the tub(Ialways forget that one!) beerchug.gif
Jeffs9146
Well, it was easier than putting headers on a Honda!!! My friend came over with his Honda and we decided to work on both cars. I am glad I have a porsche!!

Here are a few photos of the motor removal!!

Jeff
Jeffs9146
Jeffs9146
Jeffs9146
krk
Jeff,

First, that engine/tranny is way too clean. (guess why I'm thinking about this....)

But secondly, there are others of us out here that are thinking of our ffirst /6 engine drop -- this thread may be a good place to capture anything surprising you ran into.

Good to see it went well tho!

kim
echocanyons
where did ya get the engine jack doo-dad?

Nice job!
Steve
Awesome Job.
I am also curious about the engine jack do dad...
Where did you get it??
How much did it cost.
It looks like a motorcycle jack/stand.
I used the Pelican method which is remove everything under the motor.
-undo the cv joints.
-Loosen all the bolts
-lower the car onto a furniture cart,
-pull the bolts out of the motor and trans mounts.
-drop the engine trans on the furniture cart
-jack the car up and pull the engine and trans on the cart from under the car.

Not very pretty but I have used this method multiple times by myself.

Detailed instructions for this method are on the Pelican site.
Furniture cart is roughly $20.00

Steve
ein 6er
what happened?!? i thought you were only pulling the alternator??

nice job though!! what did you pull it for??

doug
J P Stein
That's a mighty fine RV lift youz' got there. I bought one at HF and all my 914 buddies are glad I did laugh.gif
IIRC, Boring Bruce has it now. Prolly the bestest idea I ever stole off the internet wink.gif
Steve
Where did you buy this lift from?
What's the part number?
How much did it cost?
I can't find the places you referenced.

Enquiring minds want to know...

It looks a lot easier to use than the furniture cart method.

thanks,

Steve
ein 6er
i think these are the same or similar,
http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/product.do?...pid=00950190000

also,
http://www.motorcyclejacks.com/LATV-J.shtml
Jeffs9146
ein has it close, I bought the jack do hicky at Kregen Auto for $49. It doesnt go down far enough but it worked well!!

I will give more details tomorow, I am BBQing with the people who helped!!

Jeff
J P Stein
HF=Harbor Freight.

Made in commie China by prison labor....hey, it gives em' something to do.
Steve
Thanks!!
I also saw one at Costco but I can't remember how much they wanted for it.

Steve
Red-Beard
$64.99 at Costco....

Mine is in the back of the Jeep...

Can you say "Re-install?"

James

"I think you can....Good..."
Jeffs9146
OK, I am awake now after quite a BBQ and motor pull yesterday!

Basically the motor pull was very uneventful! The only problem I had was the jack do thingy was not hi enough and I had to lower the car onto it, unbolt the motor and then raise the car back up again. Other than that it was easy. I didn't have to do the trailing arms because I removed those a few weeks back and they are at the powder coater.

For those who asked why I dropped the motor, I need to replace the alternator and clean everything. It had a major oil leak since I bought it and everything is caked with dirt and oil. I also wanted to take a good look at the hell hole and firewall for any signs of the rust worm! Good news, clean and strong!!!

I am very excited to finally get started on this project and I appreciate all tips that this board has given me....keep it up!!

Jeff
Jeffs9146
Sorry for the Andy photo!! laugh.gif

Jeff
echocanyons
looks like sams club has them too

sams club motorclycle jackIPB Image
Gint
Nice goin Jeff! I've been considering one of those ATV jacks myself. Thanks for posting the pics. Let us know what you end up doing to seal the motor would ya? Pics of course would be fantastic. I need to do the same thing with my motor/trans.
Jeffs9146
Thanks Gint!

The oil leak was comming from the Oil Return Tubes and I am replacing them. The PO had used Silicone sealer on the old tubes. There was also a loose oil line that I discovered when I was pulling the motor! Everything else seems tight so I think I will clean it all up and throw in a new clutch (so I don't have to do it later)! It looks like the motor has been rebuilt and the PO just didn't take care of the leaks. His loss = my gain!

Jeff
DrifterJay
I use the exact same jack...autozone 69.95 then used a shipping pallet that I cut in half and lets the entire engine/tranny combo lay flat and stable...engine was bolted in about 45 min by myself...(TIV though..) will post some pics of my setup...since I need to drop the engine again today...Alternator is dead and a few more gremlins that I learned about with the new engine...
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.