Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 914 Prints
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Todd Enlund
I was working on a project before school started, and I had to put it on hold. The holiday break is coming up, and I may be able to get back to it, so I want to see if it is worth my while. I planned on producing 11x17 prints of 914s for sale. I would offer a couple standard prints, and for an additional cost I would create a custom print based on a photo of a car. I really don't have a firm idea of the pricing right now, but I think that $50 for the stock versions would be in the ballpark. Custom versions would depend on the extent of work that I'd need to do... drawing new wheels and changing color would much less work than a Sheridan body kit, for example.

This is a rough draft of what I'm proposing... still needs a LOT of work.

Click to view attachment

If there is interest, what options would you want for the standard print(s)? A signal orange 1973? A flared M471 GT? Nurburgring winner? A 1970 -6?

Maybe a poster featuring notable cars from World? I could set up a nomination process...

I'd love to hear all opinions.

I'm also STILL looking for a printer for my bumper sticker:

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...&hl=sticker

Click to view attachment

6freak
I think its a great idea Todd
MikeSpraggi
I'd be interested in a yellow flared 914/6 with a black rear lip spoiler.
Mikey914
I think it's a great idea. I'ld be down for one
montoya 73 2.0
I'd be good for atleast one. a 1973 2.0 with L96D paint and 4 lug fuchs please! Oh and red interior.
auerbach
I'm in I'll send a picture when you're ready.
zymurgist
I think it's a cool idea... but I have to wonder whether you would soon receive a love letter from VW's legal department over selling items with the Porsche name and crest.
Todd Enlund
QUOTE(zymurgist @ Nov 21 2009, 10:38 PM) *

I think it's a cool idea... but I have to wonder whether you would soon receive a love letter from VW's legal department over selling items with the Porsche name and crest.

Good point... I had not considered that. I wonder if, for example, anyone producing vinyl lettering has even been served a "cease and desist"...
zymurgist
I remember years ago, you could get custom T-shirts at Carlisle with an image of your Corvette in your choice of colors, with lettering that reads "Ken's '77 Corvette." Apparently GM cracked down on this... you can still get the shirts with the image, but the printers don't use the word "Corvette" any more.
auerbach
Steve Anderson does it as a sideline. Check out his site it's www.Saillistrations.com
Wilhelm
I think a technical poster or outline drawing with the critical measurement of the body dimensions and maybe even a bottom full scale nut and bold border with sizes and types of fasteners used in construction would be good. Kind of like blueprints to our babies.

Wilhelm
flipb
QUOTE(Todd Enlund @ Nov 21 2009, 08:01 PM) *

I'm also STILL looking for a printer for my bumper sticker:

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...&hl=sticker

Click to view attachment

Could you just register on CafePress and upload the image file? Then post the link to your store over here.
PanelBilly
I think it would be a great award for those lucky folks who's cars are awarded with the card of the month. It we changed it to caar of the quarter and divided the $200 for the year over the active membership it would be Like $5-!0/per persona and would give those folks a well deserved thank you for the work they put into the car. I'm not sure how we could address old winners, but we could just start something new. Difficult part is collecting all the money. Know this group, I think if they decide its a good idea the Paypay transfers will happen quickly, especially if its just a small amount of $/year
Todd Enlund
QUOTE(PanelBilly @ Nov 22 2009, 12:59 PM) *

I think it would be a great award for those lucky folks who's cars are awarded with the card of the month. It we changed it to caar of the quarter and divided the $200 for the year over the active membership it would be Like $5-!0/per persona and would give those folks a well deserved thank you for the work they put into the car. I'm not sure how we could address old winners, but we could just start something new. Difficult part is collecting all the money. Know this group, I think if they decide its a good idea the Paypay transfers will happen quickly, especially if its just a small amount of $/year

I'm ahead of you here, Billy... if I end up proceeding with this, I'm already looking at what I can do for the CotM... If I can break even on my investment through sales, I'll provide CotM winners with a free print.

Stock-ish cars won't be much of an issue... custom wheels would be the hardest part of a stock-ish car. When Dana finishes his Anklebiter, I'll be screwed biggrin.gif
FourBlades

Great ideas. Could a person add a line of customized wording at
the bottom, like "Restoration Started 11-26-2007, Finished
11-25-2099"?

Either way, I want one.

John
marks914
I was starting to do something similar a few years ago. I was sketching up some cutaways. I have most of the car built in 3D, so it would be a matter of rendering and erasing layers in photoshop and some sketching over the top. I had a few guys lined up but never payed up.. Oh well
Started this one of my car and never really finished it.
if you keep it to $50 or so, sounds reasonable. We charge $85-$110/hr for graphic support, so $50.00 is pretty good.
Mark
IPB Image
marks914
I think once you have a standard template it will go pretty quick
ConeDodger
Todd,

Before you go to jail I would like one! Diamond silver metallic flared based on this pic.... You can even put the number on it. Fuchs etc...

I would have to get you details on my VIN and stuff from my safe later... Oh! it is in the VIN registry here.
Todd Enlund
QUOTE(FourBlades @ Nov 24 2009, 06:26 AM) *

Great ideas. Could a person add a line of customized wording at
the bottom, like "Restoration Started 11-26-2007, Finished
11-25-2099"?

Yeah, that would be no problem.

Sound like enough interest that I'll work on it over the holiday break. May end up sans-trademarks, though.

I'll need to invest in a 13" printer... my Epson 2000P finally died.
Todd Enlund
QUOTE(marks914 @ Nov 24 2009, 06:53 PM) *

I think once you have a standard template it will go pretty quick

Yeah, I've drawn it in Illustrator, and used lots of layers. The flares are on a separate layer, the targa top is a separate layer, the wheels are a separate layer, the body is a separate layer to make color changes easier...

QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Nov 24 2009, 07:57 PM) *

Before you go to jail I would like one! Diamond silver metallic flared based on this pic.... You can even put the number on it. Fuchs etc...

Silver. Silver is tough blink.gif The difference, on paper, between silver and gray is subtle...

I can do silver.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.