Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Type 4 Engine Case Cleaning
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
914runnow
It is a 75 1.8 case that saw a top end fire, but was put out in time
to save the case....It has been degreased and hotsied....
The top surface received some 'blackening' from the drips
of plastics etc. coming down on it, and naturally some heat..
It is not bad, but would like it a bit nicer before assembly...
Tried a bit of Simichrome on it..No luck....
I have an Eastwood Polisher set up, but once done would
look over done......
Other options..Soda blast? or some other type of media besides glass????
Thanx Rx
raw1298
I took my case to the local Napa and hot tanked it. It came out very nice.
Jake Raby
If blasted, ONLY use Soda.. Anything else will embed in the material and will mix with the oil upon initial start up and you'll have every wear surface destroyed.

Elbow grease, carb cleaner and lots of time are what we use to clean cases...It'll take at least 1/2 day to clean a case for assembly.
914runnow
QUOTE(Jake Raby @ Nov 22 2009, 10:12 AM) *

If blasted, ONLY use Soda.. Anything else will embed in the material and will mix with the oil upon initial start up and you'll have every wear surface destroyed.

Elbow grease, carb cleaner and lots of time are what we use to clean cases...It'll take at least 1/2 day to clean a case for assembly.

#1=Thanx for the reply....
It has undergone as far as it can go w/elbow grease and cleaners,
it has not been 'hot tanked' yet, but I know that will not pull out the
'Stains'......
DO The Surfaces that are critical to bearings etc. get 'Masked Off'..??
Before soda blast??
Jake Raby
No masking is needed for soda blasting, just don't apply it directly to the main and cam saddles or lifter bores.

Stains are no big deal and hot tanking generally won't remove them. Use cotton swabs to tell if the case is clean enough, if you pass one over an area and it comes out dirty its not clean enough.

I see people become infatuated with getting the exterior of the case clean and totally disregard the internals and critical areas like oil galleys and etc. Always be more attentive and spend the most time INSIDE the engine case.

ME733
popcorn[1].gif ...This question came up about six weeks ago....What I use for the final detail cleaning is "MAG WHEEL CLEANER"...and a stainless steel toothbrush....BUT!! you must stay on top of this as some mag wheel cleaners are so strong they will chemically "burn" the aluminum and darken it.....If done properly the crankcase will look darn near new.,.applying to the bearing saddles, cam bores,follower bores, is something that I do but quickly flush off with plenty of water to neutrilize. Just want ALL the old impregnated oil gone to ensure tightly mated machined surfaces. A wipe down with alcohol and lint free towels prior to assembly is a good practice...... popcorn[1].gif
VaccaRabite
Elbow greasy, lint free shop towels, compressed air, and lots of carb cleaner.

Cheaper then a hot tank, and takes less time if you are on a time budget (only because you usually have to leave the case there overnight.)

For the outside, I used my weak assed electric powerwasher and some degreaser and a plastic stiff bristle brush.

Zach
Mikey914
Jake has it right. Soda blasting is the only way to do this. It will remove the non-metal particles and pretty much leave the metal alone. Best bang for the buck.
Gint
I've got soda in my cabinet right now Rex. I don't know if a case with heads studs will fit in the cabinet, but it will for sure if the studs aren't on it. I have a case with studs in the top of the garage I could measure and find out.

Bring it over!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.