Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Building front mount oil cooler ducting
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Krieger
I'm making duct work out of aluminum for track car. How thick/thin should the sheeting be. I already have 22 gauge. Is this too thin?
ArtechnikA
QUOTE(Krieger914 @ Nov 22 2009, 11:43 AM) *

I'm making duct work out of aluminum for track car. How thick/thin should the sheeting be. I already have 22 gauge. Is this too thin?

Ron Fournier's book on sheet metal fabrication and Carroll Smith's books on race car fabrication talk about these issues in some depth. Recommended.

Your parts are not structural - they're ducts. They need to be stiff enough to withstand 'normal' stresses and keep their shape, but if you got a small leak it's not tragic.

With flimsy sheet you 'd probably want to add some reinforcing beadwork which is an art in itself. Maybe an internal frame of aluminum 'L'-section extrusion. And probably a 'No Step' placard ...

Thinner is lighter ;-)
East coaster
Or use fiberglass..........it's easy, it's comes in a can!

Click to view attachment
McMark
22g aluminum is pretty thin. You might have a hard time working with it and making it stay in place. That being said, it can definitely be made to work. It wouldn't be my first choice to start with. I would probably get 16g so it has SOME rigidity. wink.gif

That fiberglass ducting is so awesome! smiley_notworthy.gif
Gint
QUOTE(McMark @ Nov 23 2009, 11:27 PM) *
22g aluminum is pretty thin. You might have a hard time working with it and making it stay in place. That being said, it can definitely be made to work. It wouldn't be my first choice to start with. I would probably get 16g so it has SOME rigidity. wink.gif

That fiberglass ducting is so awesome! smiley_notworthy.gif

agree.gif on the fiberglass. That's schweet!

If I were doing more of that type of work (sheet stock) I'd pop for a bead roller.
Krieger
Thanks for the responses guys. The fibeglass looks great, but it is so messy I think I'll try thicker al.
Krieger
I got me some 16g today!
iamchappy
If it helps, this is how mine was done...
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.