Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: diferences between webber carbs
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
pete-stevers
I am just wondering why big price differences between triple carbs, obviously wear is a big consideration, as well as rebuilt status, and who they where rebuilt by
but what are the differences between the models?
J P Stein
IDTs are the smog carbs. Bout the only difference between them (near as I know) & The IDAs are the mixture screws & seats for same.....they are not interchangeable.
The IDS are for the S motor of 67-68(?) with a high speed enrichment tube in the upper throat....they are rare & thus expensive.

IDAs are what I used. Costs vary on condition. A good set with manifolds & linkage (& maybe filters) shouldn't cost more than 1500ish. The biggest common problem is wear on the throttle shafts....fixin' that is pricey....bout 1K. THe IDAs have a teflon (?some kinda plastic) bushing at the linkage end of the shafts that wears rather than the body. Supposedly, the Italian manufactured ones are best. There's an outfit in So. Orygun that can fixem'.....the name escapes me.

All of them are at least 20ish years old.....buyer beware.....but there are PMO$.
pete-stevers
i think it is beeker that is the fix it guy
But is there any down side to running a idt over an ida?
and what are the smog options for the idt?

J P Stein
As far as I know, the idle screws allow a finer adjustment for mixture to make the old smog test....thas' it for me. The Cap'n would know more.
r_towle
Contact Eurometrix in Groton MA.

Rich
brant
I used paul abbott to rebuild my ids carbs
not cheap... and I did a part of the work myself and only had him do the shafts and basics... $1K.. although they are reallly really well done

On the dyno there is a jetting advantage to the top end enrichments of the IDS carbs, on the street I would doubt it would be necessary
if you run a bit smaller choke and maintain your velocities you will be fine on the street with the IDA, or IDT... you can hit the jetting you need only give up 5-10hp

I'm running super large jetting for max fuel and with oversized chokes...
then the IDS carbs help
I think at lower altitudes we are currintly using 160 main jets Plus the enrichment tubes, with 34 vents on a 2liter
the jets would be about 180-190 sized without the enrichment tubes (really really large for a 2.0)
the enrichment tubes help us get away with this because they only kick in at higher rpm and not accross the entire rev range.

but again this is not something you would want to do on a street car
and I'm not able to clear out the plugs and start pulling until 5k

brant
sixnotfour
As far as I know, the idle screws allow a finer adjustment for mixture to make the old smog test....thas' it for me. The Cap'n would know more.

Harry can mod em to ida , no big deal, He is grantpass oregon.

Steve I wish you would just buy a 3.2 , with your air care and all.
pete-stevers
i am determined to build a 3.4 but i am waiting for funds to buy a 3.2 crank and rods....then i have to save for twin plugs...
and the three runs great...most of the time
But every now and again she drips happy11.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.