Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Front sway bar for '74 1.8
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
SCor914
I am purchasing a front sway bar for a stock car that didn't come with one. Tarett, Smart, Weltmeister. Car has recent new Bilsteins. Car probably isn't going DE or AX,.....just looking to make the car as nimble as my old '73 2.0 that came from the factory with frt sway. Plus, is there anything else I should do while the fuel tank's out (other than clean). Thanks, ....
rjames
QUOTE(SCor914 @ Nov 22 2009, 06:37 PM) *

I am purchasing a front sway bar for a stock car that didn't come with one. Tarett, Smart, Weltmeister. Car has recent new Bilsteins. Car probably isn't going DE or AX,.....just looking to make the car as nimble as my old '73 2.0 that came from the factory with frt sway. Plus, is there anything else I should do while the fuel tank's out (other than clean). Thanks, ....

Replace your fuel lines and fuel filter if it's located up front.
914Sixer
If you go with the front your should get a rear one too. If it had the front one from the factory it had the rear too.
Dave_Darling
The front is a somewhat easier install than the rear bar, and the rear didn't make that big a difference to me when I tested on my car.

Weltmeister is cheaper, and generally good enough for street use. Tarrett is higher quality and more spendy. SRP is the best, and costs like the best.

--DD
rjames
If you go with the front your should get a rear one too.

Depends... Do a search and learn from the experiences of others.
brant
you could probably find a stock one reasonable too
or a welt 19 would be nice
zonedoubt
While you're in there, check the fresh air vent unit, hoses, etc.

I currently have my tank out and am refreshing all the brittle and cracked fresh air hoses and vents, then will make sure the vent system is operating correctly from the control panel.
SCor914
Thanks very much,......I'm still a little torn. I'm not handy, so I'm going to have to pay to have it installed. Since it'll be tough to "go back", I want to get this right the 1st time.

QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ Nov 23 2009, 08:34 AM) *

The front is a somewhat easier install than the rear bar, and the rear didn't make that big a difference to me when I tested on my car.

Weltmeister is cheaper, and generally good enough for street use. Tarrett is higher quality and more spendy. SRP is the best, and costs like the best.

--DD

Cire
QUOTE(zonedoubt @ Nov 23 2009, 11:22 AM) *

I currently have my tank out and am refreshing all the brittle and cracked fresh air hoses and vents, then will make sure the vent system is operating correctly from the control panel.

Here is a print out straight from Weltmeister on its winning combinations. I think if you went to the "914 Improved Driving" you would be set.

Front Sway = 19mm
Rear Sway = 16 (Optional in my opinion)
Front Tortion Bars = Stock
Rear Springs = 100 lbs

Hope this helps. = )

Eric

Click to view attachment
balljoint
"2. We recommend the rear sway bar only if the car has a limited slip, otherwise the bar may cause the inside rear wheel to lift off the ground."

That probably means while turning, not while it's parked.
SCor914
Eric-

I think you are right. Thanks!

QUOTE(Cire @ Nov 24 2009, 07:18 AM) *

QUOTE(zonedoubt @ Nov 23 2009, 11:22 AM) *

Here is a print out straight from Weltmeister on its winning combinations. I think if you went to the "914 Improved Driving" you would be set.

Front Sway = 19mm
Rear Sway = 16 (Optional in my opinion)
Front Tortion Bars = Stock
Rear Springs = 100 lbs

Hope this helps. = )

Eric

Click to view attachment

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.