Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Okay Admins, What's with the forced VIN disclosure
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
airsix
Just tried to update my profile and it won't let me unless I disclose my car's VIN #. When did Tom Ridge and John Ashcroft get admin status here?

Ask nicely and I might tell you, but try to force me and I'll tell you to bugger off.

-Ben M.
Brad Roberts
you can type in anything.. we didnt know adding it to the signup would affect the User profile.

Just type a string of junk and it will let you go.

B
jonwatts
What Brad said.

For an example, check my profile.
airsix
I might put the real VIN in there if I knew what it was going to be used for. I didn't mean to sound alarmist. Are there any reasons a person WOULDN'T want to publicize thier VIN? (are there any privacy concerns?) I just wanted to know the answer to those questions before making a decission and felt like my hand was being forced.

-Ben M.
SirAndy
QUOTE(airsix @ Mar 18 2004, 10:36 AM)
I might put the real VIN in there if I knew what it was going to be used for.

why don't you check out the 914info link on top of each and every page on this BBS.

that might enlighten you. wink.gif
Andy
airsix
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Mar 18 2004, 10:40 AM)
QUOTE(airsix @ Mar 18 2004, 10:36 AM)
I might put the real VIN in there if I knew what it was going to be used for.

why don't you check out the 914info link on top of each and every page on this BBS.

that might enlighten you. wink.gif
Andy

That's not what I meant. I meant, are there any reasons you wouldn't want the world to see your VIN? When I said "...what it was going to be used for" I meant: could it be used for harm by some scam artist? If you posted personal info like date of birth or social secruity number they could be used for all sorts of nasty things by crooks. I was asking if a person is exposing themselves to any liability by publishing their VIN in a public forum.

-Ben M.
seanery
I can't see how you'd be at risk, unless you had a really really rare one like a factory GT, you listed your address and the fact that you usually don't lock your garage door and leave the keys in it.
JWest
It's information that can be had quite easily in any parking lot - getting someone's name to go with the car they get into would not be that hard if it could be used for a scam somehow.

I think you're OK.
Qarl
It's information that can be had quite easily in any parking lot - getting someone's name to go with the car they get into would not be that hard if it could be used for a scam somehow.

Which is exactly why I wonder why people block out their license plates for photos on the internet!
Steve Thacker
Believe it or not there would be a issue with VIN #s being published.

Here is how it works. Crook A has decided to rip off your car. He goes to a dealership and tells them a sad sack story that he has lost his keys. The dealership then says do you have the registration?...Crook A...No it is locked in the car,..but I do have the VIN#..... Dealer pauses for a moment and looks at the well dressed man and thinks,...hummm he looks pretty harmless,..so the crook pays $25.00, supplies the VIN and Wa La.....A new set of keys to fit "your car"!

This setup was exposed via dateline...er about six months ago on TV. The stunt was done with a hidden camera and out of 10 tries they were successful 8 times!Dealers true are now being more on the watch.

Now if you place that VIN for all the world to see and they "the crook" happens to know your city / location,..then all you are doing is helping them out.

OK..OK so maybe this won't happen.....but neither did the test subjects in the show.

Flame On! laugh.gif
JWest
QUOTE(Steve Thacker @ Mar 18 2004, 01:38 PM)

Here is how it works. Crook A has decided to rip off your car. He goes to a dealership and tells them a sad sack story that he has lost his keys. The dealership then says do you have the registration?...Crook A...No it is locked in the car,..but I do have the VIN#..... Dealer pauses for a moment and looks at the well dressed man and thinks,...hummm he looks pretty harmless,..so the crook pays $25.00, supplies the VIN and Wa La.....A new set of keys to fit "your car"!

This setup was exposed via dateline...er about six months ago on TV. The stunt was done with a hidden camera and out of 10 tries they were successful 8 times!Dealers true are now being more on the watch.

Now if you place that VIN for all the world to see and they "the crook" happens to know your city / location,..then all you are doing is helping them out.

OK..OK so maybe this won't happen.....but neither did the test subjects in the show.

Flame On!    laugh.gif

Woudn't it be easier for the crook to pick a car he sees in a parking lot everyday and get the VIN through the window, rather than searching out a car from the internet? Also, this won't apply to 914s as the dealer won't have the key code.
Jenny
Plus a lot of people have replaced door locks, ignition, trunk locks, etc... on their cars.

But that is pretty scary that dealerships were just handing out keys. ohmy.gif

Jen
Qarl
I think many of these points are valid.

But I still do not think it is a good idea to publish VIN numbers. Just speaking from the perspective of a paranoid freak who recently had a bunch of accounts hijacked via identity theft.

But then again... consider this... open up any Pano magazine (PCA publication) and look in the classifieds. The car is usually listed with the owner's name, address, phone number, and e-mail.

So then again... I don't really know....

aaahhhhh!

IPB Image
rick 918-S
QUOTE(Steve Thacker @ Mar 18 2004, 11:38 AM)

so the crook pays $25.00, supplies the VIN and Wa La.....A new set of keys to fit "your car"!

Flame On! laugh.gif

easier to just call a locksmith...
Steve Thacker
Lively topic today,..beats say,......watching rust grow w00t.gif
SirAndy
QUOTE(airsix @ Mar 18 2004, 11:11 AM)
I was asking if a person is exposing themselves to any liability by publishing their VIN in a public forum.

anybody can just walk up to your car and look at the VIN.
anybodys car anywhere ...

that's kind of "in public", isn't it? confused24.gif
Andy
SirAndy
i had AAA come out twice to unlock my car (one time the teener, one time the jeep) ...

thing is, the AAA truck driver NEVER checked my registration or anything.
i had the AAA card, so no pay either. he leaves, and i have a OPEN car that could have been ANYBODYS car ...

yes, it's that easy,
Andy
JWest
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Mar 18 2004, 02:38 PM)
anybody can just walk up to your car and look at the VIN.
anybodys car anywhere ...

that's kind of "in public", isn't it? confused24.gif
Andy

Not for Qarl! His living room is not "in public." wink.gif
jonwatts
A Fiat X1/9 could use your VIN to impersonate a 914. Classic identity theft, seen it a million times.
mikester
I work as a network security engineer for a large employer. ANY PERSONAL DATA should be treated as sensitive. Seriously, Identity theft is no joke with all the fishing scams out there. Those have been a regular topic hear in fact.

Up to and including your real name. I don't mean to bad mouth anyone who runs the servers on this board so please do not take it this way - in fact if you do feel there is a need for some "hardening" of the servers I would be happy to assist.

Check out this and remember - any info that you have on the internet in an insecure place is just that - insecure.

http://www.securityfocus.com/columnists/224

Also, for all you home users...

http://www.securityfocus.com/columnists/220

Useful info...

...and the obligatory...

thisthreadisworthlesswithoutpics.gif
GWN7
If a profesional thief wants your car, not having the vin on line really won't slow them down. All they would need is a new ignition and a slide hammer. Unclip the plugin on the old, plug in the new lock & key and use the slide hammer to break the old lock.Then drive away.

Lets face it, even tho we would like to think of them as very valuable, most of our cars aren't and if you take some basic precautions no one is going to drive away with one.

1) Don't leave the keys in them.

2) Don't leave the keys on a nice pegboard next to the door with tags on the rings for each car.

3) Lock the doors...this goes for the car, garage and house.

4) Better than an alarm system, get to know your neibours. Especially the little old lady across the street. Give them your phone number. If they see something wierd have them call you and no answer, call the police.

5) Hidden ignition switch (on/off type) under dash.

6) Battery disconnect switch on battery.

7) Bury your car under 4' of snow 6 months of the year (optional)

8) ar15.gif
TimT
laugh.gif The forced VIN disclosure is so I can findout exactly how many of you have owned the 914/6GT ive been asking about laugh.gif
kdfoust
There was this ebay scam a couple of years ago...

These guys in FL would find a nice Benz parked. They'd write down the VIN, tag #s, photograph it like crazy and put it up for sale on ebay. Poor sucker bidder finds they've "purchased" and put a down payment on a car that wasn't for sale...

There's no place to hide... cool_shades.gif
anthony
For some reason I don't think going into a Porsche dealership with a 914 vin would yield a working key. laugh.gif
Joe Bob
Mine says "bite me...."
Hawktel
I consider my fubar door handles, welded in seat at the very, very back of the range, and 30 year old tailshifter tranny enough theft protection.

Just knowing what I know of the car, if they do steal it and get away with it, I know the issues they are going to face, and I'd almost consider us even, them for freeing up the space, and dealing with its issues.
rhodyguy
given my experience with the car thief last sept, i don't think the vin has much to do with anything theft related. if someone sees your car and wants it, they will come into your house and get the key out of the key basket by the door to the garage.

kevin
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.