Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Right Hand Drive 914
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
bcheney
A pretty cool pic of a right hand drive 914. I didn't know these existed. The car is posted for sale on the Samba right now (I have NO affiliation). It resides in Australia.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=876404

1976 914 in Australia (right hand drive) Price: AUD$25,000
1976 2.0L 914 in Australia (right hand drive)

Right hand drive and otherwise original car with Porsche documentation, decades of records and valuable spares. Original Scarlet Red colour and delivered with all options.

This car was imported from California to Australia in July 1988 at a documented cost of $26,921.06 – and that was the cost before it was carefully converted to right hand drive (with a full engineering report) and subsequently restored over a five year period including a bare metal respray, engine and gearbox rebuild – all overseen by the Porsche 914 Register.
This car features matching numbers, Porsche Australia documentation and over two decades of receipts. It also comes with thousands of dollars worth of rare spares including NOS distributor, spare Electronic Control Unit (ECU), manifold pressure sensor, trigger points and even spare interior door panels. In essence, it comes complete with the parts that will ensure smooth running and maintenance for decades to come.

This car features the original Bosch D-Jet fuel injection system (unlike most 914s in Australia which have been converted to carburettors). Moreover, this is the top of the line 2.0L model with every available option including the centre console. 1976 was the final model year for the 914, making it the most modern of all 914s and sporting the most advanced features including the superior side-shift transmission absent on earlier cars. It has the original Porsche Mahle alloy wheels – right down to the spare, which even has its original Continental tyre!
I’ve owned this beautiful 914 for many years but have only driven it very rarely (less than 5,000 miles in the last 7 years) – and it’s been in storage for over three years while I was interstate for work. Like the other vintage car in my stable (a Type 34 Karmann Ghia), this car also only gets driven a few times a year. It’s time to consider parting with one.

This car had its “debut” at the Porsche 50th anniversary celebrations in Melbourne in 1998. Since then, even more elements have been replaced with new (predominantly NOS) parts including door and window rubber, an entire new front bumper rubber cover, brake lines and calliper rebuilds, a 911 master cylinder (for improved braking), distributor (trigger points etc), Manifold Pressure Sensor, Throttle Position Switch, Cylinder Temperature Sensor, coil, leads, shift bushings…the list goes on. In essence, this means the car has been mechanically renewed such that it will provide many more decades of enjoyment.

The vehicle comes with valuable documentation including official production and delivery information from Porsche Australia and its original owner’s manual and even a mint original 1976 914 sales brochure. As noted above, a myriad of useful spares are also included. I will also consider including the custom Queensland plates (PSC 914) with the car (plate ownership is transferable even to non-Queensland residents).

A typical disclaimer applies: Please no dreamers, time wasters, tyre-kickers, low-ballers or Nigerian investors.
tracks914
I believe all English ones were RH drive.

It would be a pain to find a good used dash top for one of those. Good thing this one is in good shape.
veltror
QUOTE(tracks914 @ Nov 24 2009, 05:56 PM) *

I believe all English ones were RH drive.

It would be a pain to find a good used dash top for one of those. Good thing this one is in good shape.

That is incorrect, no 914's were made RHD by the factory. There ere a number of conversions about 12 done by Crayford Engineering. this conversion did invalidate the warrenty and was very expensive.
tracks914
My mistake, I thought over the years I have seen enough of them on this site that they were made for England and Aussiland. My fault for assuming. It won't happen again. (hanging head in shame) headbang.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.