Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Thanksgiving Thread
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
PanelBilly
I waned to start the thread this year, so it may be a little early, but I want to make sure all those who helped me make it through the year knew that I valued their efforts.

It hasn't been easy for many of us this last year. I walked away from a business I had run for eighteen years. In addition to paying for a nice lifestyle for myself and my family of four daughters, it provided the family income for a lot of other people. I'm so sad to have needed to give it up, but a friend gave me a job right away and he allows me enough freedom a work so I can still feel like I'm running my own business.

I had make a commitment to myself last year to let go of all that stuff that I thought was so important. I kept the car and the tools, but got riid of lots of things that I used to think we so important. The divorce made it easier, I just didn't take anything except some cloths and a few keepsakes. When the fire came and that stuff was burnt, I found myself with just the cloths on my back and a few things that were in the shop where I keep my car. The whole event was overwelming, but people came out of the woodwork to hold me togeather.People took me shopping for cloths and they brought so much food. I even got envelopes with cash in them. No notes or anything, just plain envelopes witha $10 or $20 bill in it. I know alot of them were from the folks at church, but they didn't even let me know who they were.

And my friends at Rotary, i got so many calls. They all reminded me that I needed to stay focused on the fact that no one was hurt and although i wanted to cry to them about the things that were lost, they kept turning me around and looking on the brighter side.

And this silly car thing. Watching fools just like me spend so much time on building a car. It fills many evenings and weekends with hours of activity. When i needed help to get my car off the rotessairie (I never figure out how to spell that one) , guys came outon a Tuesday night and made it happen. they handled my baby with gentle hands.

So thanks to you all, You've made a difference and I hope to repay the efforts
VaccaRabite
I am thankful that 2009 is almost over. With the exception of my 914, this year has pretty much sucked ass.

Zach
tat2dphreak
I am thankful that 2009 is almost over. With the exception of my 914, this year has pretty much sucked ass.

agree.gif

I'm thankful I have a job now.
gopack
I think I'm with Zach. Starting and ending the year out of work, at least I got to work the center 3/4 of the year!

But I am thankful for my wonderful ( at times) wife, and proud of my son graduating from college with a (hopefully) useful degree!
flipb
I've only been on the board a short time and compared to many, I've got nothing to complain about. But there's certainly a lot I'm thankful for.

A year ago at this time, my wife was on long-term hospital bedrest for complications with her pregnancy. For about four months, I was essentially a single parent to our two year old. Her "minimum security imprisonment" lasted from mid-Nov through March, so she couldn't be home for Thanksgiving, our son's second birthday, our anniversary, New Years, etc. I was stressed - working full time, taking care of our son, putting up with the in-laws who graciously came into town to help out on a regular basis (helpful under the circumstances, but still, not fun to have live-in in-laws without my wife to buffer them.)

My wife, meanwhile, had gone from her usual active, athletic self to being confined to a bed 23.5 hours per day, had lost her job, and was being given all of the premie and worst-case scenarios by various doctors and nurses every day.

Then on St. Patrick's Day, she had a healthy, full-term baby girl.

Eight months have passed. my wife is back to teaching, I'm still working, the two kids adore one another, and I bought my first impractical, just-for-fun car... (not entirely impractical... it does have two trunks!)

Needless to say... we are extremely grateful this Thanksgiving.

EDIT: Adding a recent photo of two 2009 acquisitions:
IPB Image
SirAndy
QUOTE(tat2dphreak @ Nov 23 2009, 08:00 AM) *

agree.gif

I'm thankful I have a job now.

agree.gif

And you guys are my (dysfunctional) family ...
biggrin.gif Andy
aircooledtechguy
As the old saying goes, "Any day you wake up above room temperature is a good day."

My year has been a breeze compared to some here. . . I am exceedingly thankful this year. My business continues to thrive in this economy, No major health issues, my teens are not totally out of control. . . yet rolleyes.gif My wife still puts up with my car habit and at times even encourages it. . . Not a word of complaint from me, just thanks.
Todd Enlund
I've had a rough year. I only worked two days all year, and got stiffed on one of them. My wife left me. I'm losing my house. But I reached a point that I decided that it was up to me... I could be depressed, or I could be happy. I chose to be happy.

I'm thankful for my family (parents and brothers... wife left me).
I'm thankful for what health I have.
I'm thankful for my friends.
I'm thankful that I have the opportunity to go back to school and learn something new.

And I'm thankful for the 914World community. It's amazing that a rusty hunk of metal can draw together such a great bunch of people.
d914
Ok I guess I've had a good year in comparison to some here. I made it through the divorce thing and the associated $$$$$$$$.. Still paying off that one. I have two kids in college and figuring out the whole dating thing.. At 53 I took up Mauy Thai( kick boxing) and I got moving again on the car..I have a great buddy who helps me there and shakes his head when my ideas go to far afield..

This thanksgiving we are having a "misfits" party at the college house. Anyone who doesnt have a place to go..party... My kids are good...Ive actually had some dates and I havent gotten killed in Thai class.....work isnt all that bad either..

Im getting use to the empty nest and looking forward to having some fun with that freedom...and always the online family..

I guess I have lots to be thankful for..thanks for pointing that out!!
6freak
QUOTE(aircooledtechguy @ Nov 23 2009, 11:22 AM) *

As the old saying goes, "Any day you wake up above room temperature is a good day."

My year has been a breeze compared to some here. . . I am exceedingly thankful this year. My business continues to thrive in this economy, No major health issues, my teens are not totally out of control. . . yet rolleyes.gif My wife still puts up with my car habit and at times even encourages it. . . Not a word of complaint from me, just thanks.

DITTO.........and for all my great friends......HAPPY TURKEY DAY TO ALL ...EAT DRINK AND BE MARRY or is that do mary
orange914
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Nov 23 2009, 10:17 AM) *

And you guys are my (dysfunctional) family ...
biggrin.gif Andy

av-943.gif in the end it's the little things that matter biggrin.gif

mike
BMXerror
I've been thankful for family more this year than ever before. A couple good friends kinda flaked on me, and my family was there to fall back on. Plenty of new friends have also come along this year and helped fill the void. The CSCC Solo2 group is an amazing bunch of people, and 914 World is a great resource for knowledge and moral support.
I started race prepping the 914 with my brother four years ago, but I lost him last September in a work accident. This year, I finally had the budget to get really serious about autocross and car prep, but I had to go it alone. As such, I have been all the more thankful to have had him in my life. He taught me so much about tackling problems, both with mechanical things, and with life in general. I find myself thinking like him and feel like he's still giving me so much.
On September 23rd of this year, I got a PM from T.C. asking how I was doing, given that it was the 1 year anniversary of my bro's death. How often does that happen in a car club? You guys rule! And special thanks to T.C. for making an effort be there.
I'm nothing but grateful for this year! I had some tough times last year, but I'm stronger and happier now than ever before. Hopefully I can give back to all those who have given me so much!
Mark D.
914_teener
I saw this thread and had to say something. I am thankful for alot of things. 2 years ago I almost kicked the bucket at 46 years old and lived. Still going through the divorce after 20 years of marriage, and this last May my Dad past away.

I am Thankful for:

My Car.....has been cheaper than therapy.... my parents bought it for me after my illness so my ex couldn't take it. It runs and a drive it every chance I get.

My House...hopefully I'll keep it.

My kids... they are not actually mine. They are God's, I just tend them for now.

My job.... I still have one and love it.

My Parents and my sisters and loved friends that have stuck by me.

This board.... I have actually met some people here. They are great and, I think ya gotta be unique.... that's putting it nicely....to want to actually own a Teener.

My God.... for the times that I really needed Him.

Thanks All

Rob biggrin.gif

Elliot Cannon
Having almost lost my life on two occasions. 1. Skydiving, 2. Motorcycle accident. I am thankful to have lived 63 years and still be in good health. I try to keep in mind that no matter how bad things are for you, there is ALWAYS somone who is worse off. I don't want to diminish anyones problems since my life has been pretty good so far but there is a saying, something about feeling bad having to walk till I met a man who had no feet? Happy Thanksgiving everyone.
zymurgist
My Mom had a really serious bout with acute pancreatitis this year. She was in the hospital and the doctors said that we nearly lost her. I'm thankful that she pulled through and hopefully will have many more good years.
72914S
Not going to complain, no one wants to hear my problems. It is tough being a unemployed 60 year old white male, but Every day on this side of the dirt is good! Only wish Happy Thanksgiving to you all. flag.gif
Drums66
I thank God.for all the blessings he hath bestowed on me!!
very thankful pray.gif
Scott S
To those that had a rough year, I hope in the short term that your holidays are nothing short of fantastic and that the new year brings you success, happiness – and healing, if needed.

I love the whole season – from fall all the way through new year’s eve. Ever since being a kiddo, I always seemed to do some reflecting this time of year. As well, I was blessed with a pretty tight family/extended family that got along well, so the holidays were always great and looked forward to by all.

Personally, my life is the absolute black and white negative from where I was 3-4 years ago. I went from having no roots - spending my time behind a drum set for a 100+ shows a year, or lying under some toy car as time permitted (I literally did what I wanted when I wanted with whomever I wanted) to now having a lovely bride and two fantastic little girls. I used to be up until all hours of the night, and my day job was just a paycheck. Now, the only time I am really up at all hours of the night revolves around tucking someone back in or finding the teddy bear that was just dropped out of the crib. (so technically I am still hanging out late at night with girls that are far to young….)
My day job is now about providing a good life for my family (actually paying attention to things like benefits and pretax deductions for daycare expenses!).

I have only played 4 shows this year. My three year old is pissed at me right now, because she wants PINK Christmas lights on the house. My wife is pissed because I didn’t replace the toilet paper roll last night. I think I am still ok with my 1 year old – so far today.

…….. I wouldn’t change a thing.

As far as all of you guys are concerned, I am a member of several on line groups. NONE of them have even close to the camaraderie of this place (as long as you stay out of the “originality” forum!!)

A special shout out to our local Colorado gang – great group of pals.

Happy Thanksgiving all! beerchug.gif
Joe Owensby
To all who have had bad luck, I sincerely hope your luck gets better soon. I have been very, very lucky. I am thankful for my four great children, each of them is very special. to me If you have kids, you should spend as much time with them as you can, because before you know it, they will be away in college, or will possibly move away for work.

I really appreciate the 914world site, as it is almost always a positive arena of discussion, with so many people willing to help or share info. Thanks to you all, and especially to the admins, JoeO
hot_shoe914
I still have my job(pay reduction)

I still have my house(needs a lot of repairs)

I am still healthy( my knees hurt & my eyes are getting bad)

I still have my mother and all my siblings

Still have my best friend of 30 years( and fellow teener brother)

Everything I have is paid for except my house

I own three 914s(only one runs)

I am still single(thank God for small miracles)

Although there are times I tend to think my life sucks and times are really bad, I just remember the things I listed above and I realize how fortunate I am and for that I am extremely thankful.

HAPPY THANKSGIVING TO ALL!!! aktion035.gif

Shoe
spare time toys
Im wanting to be called in for overtime aktion035.gif Tonight I go over to mom and dads for the anual family hate and distrust shouting match headbang.gif mad.gif I would rather spend it at work than my family. sad.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.